Windows 10: Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

Discus and support Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black. I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by idahosurge, May 23, 2017.

1. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black.

I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back to normal until after I deleted the icon cache.

But after I shut down and restarted the black icons were back. I went through this twice and both time they came back after I shut down and turned the laptop back on.

How do I get rid of these black icons permanently?

:)

idahosurge, May 23, 2017
  2. MichelB62 Win User

Shortcut icons are shown as black squares

Thanks to the update of Windows 10 my system needs to be recalibrated. One of the things I never understood where the small arrows under shortcuts on your desktop (and other places). I remove them by default. And by default this setting is lost when you
    get a major update. A quick search on the internet gave me
    How To Remove Shortcut Arrows In Windows 10 Without Software.
    Today I found the arrows under the shortcuts where gone, and replaced by little black boxes. How do I get rid of these black boxes?

Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black [​IMG]

MichelB62, May 23, 2017
  3. MichelB62 Win User
    Shortcut icons are shown as black squares

Although I started my PC session with the black boxes under the shortcuts, they are now gone. I didn't need to reboot in safe mode. Thanks.

MichelB62, May 23, 2017
  4. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

Does anybody have any ideas?

idahosurge, May 23, 2017
  5. Math Win User
  6. Thanks, but same results. That gets the icons back, but when I shut down and turn the laptop back on the black icons are back.

Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black [​IMG]

idahosurge, May 23, 2017
  7. 10 days ago I ran the .bat file to remove arrows from the icons. Everything was fine until last night. I have no idea why, but the black icons appeared.

No amount of deleting the thumbnail and icon caches would permanently fix it. The black icons always came back once I completely shut down and then started the laptop again.

To fix this I had to download the .bat file that restored arrows to icons. Black icons gone even after completely shutting down and then starting the laptop.

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

I then downloaded and ran the .bat file to remove the arrows again. After shutting down and restarting the black icons and arrows are still gone.

idahosurge, May 23, 2017
  8. Math Win User

Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

what about to restore your system?

9. Since system restore uses way to many resources I have it disabled. I always keep an updated image of my hard drives for times like this. If I had not been able to fix this by the weekend I would have just loaded the latest backed up image from this Sunday.

idahosurge, May 23, 2017
  10. Math Win User
    If you don't have much things installed, that's the best idea.

Thema:

Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

1. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black - Similar Threads - Desktop Shortcut Icons

2. Desktop shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut icons: There is a well-publicized registry hack to hide the little "arrows" on desktop icons to signify that it's a shortcut rather than an application, but I've found this hack to be unreliable - after a reboot all the icons are, as often as not, just blank. Deleting the icon cache...
  3. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Will it affect my games,...
  4. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Will it affect my games,...
  5. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Plz help! .........
  6. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: In Windows 10 My icons have disappeared.The names of the items are still there and I can click on them to access the programme.But the icon pictures are not showing.I have done personalislation/Themes/desktop items but with no success.I have even done System Restore but no...
  7. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Desktop Shortcut Icons: How do I give a standard user permission to add/delete desktop shortcuts/icons by the drag-drop method? New HP All-In-One, W-10 Home. Standard user not able to drag programs/web pages onto the desktop to create a shortcut. I can do it in Admin, but standard user cannot, nor...
  8. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Desktop Shortcut Icons: Made a desktop shortcut for spotify on my laptop. Turned the computer off and when I came back to it the spotify icon had disappeared and was replaced by blank sheet. How can I get the icon back and stop this from happening in the future?...
  9. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...
  10. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...