Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts not locating files

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts not locating files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a number of shortcuts on my desktop that when double-clicked respond with not finding the file using the path displayed. I have even gone to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bruce1943, Aug 4, 2015.

1. bruce1943 Win User

Desktop shortcuts not locating files

I have a number of shortcuts on my desktop that when double-clicked respond with not finding the file using the path displayed. I have even gone to the file that the desktop points to and double-clicked it - with the same result. This has only started with W10 upgrade. However, there are other shortcuts that still work. Can you help, please? Thanks

:)

bruce1943, Aug 4, 2015
  2. LyleJ Win User

Desktop shortcut is opening application and explorer window location

So, one shortcut on my desktop is opening the application and the windows explorer file location.

I want to stop the file location from opening.

I checked other shortcuts on my desktop and there appears to be no difference in the Target/Start in fields from the other shortcuts.

There is no shortcut key either.

Appreciate the help on this..

LyleJ, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    I occasionally have a file that is visible in File Explorer but does not appear on the desktop. How can I fix this?

The file is already in the desktop, if the file occasionally disappear in the desktop folder, try moving the file
    to another location and create a shortcut. After creating the shortcut, drag it to your desktop and see if there are any changes. To
    create a shortcut,
    select the file/folder,
    right-click
    and select
    Create shortcut.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Bruce, and welcome to Ten Forums.

What are these shortcuts of?

If you like for now, download and merge the .reg file for the listed lnk (LNK) option in the tutorial below to see if it may help. It will restore the default associations for shortcuts.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  5. bruce1943 Win User
    Hi Brink - thanks for your reply. I should tell you that I'm no computer expert
    so some terms etc are new to me.
    I am trying a shortcut for Winzip Driver Updater even though the one for WinZip
    System Utilities Suite works fine.
    I followed your instructions contained in your thread which did not help.
    I tried option 2 but was only given the choice to run the file - would this
    have been OK?
    I have even tried uninstalling Driver Updater and receive "An error occurred
    while trying to uninstall WinZip Driver Update. It may have already been
    uninstalled. Would you like to remove WZDU from the Programs and Features
    List." I said no.
    This also happened with another program (Total System Care) and I did remove
    the name from the list.
    It appears as a result of the upgrade that links between shortcuts, in the
    first instance, and between programs and features, and their respective
    programs in the second instance have been broken even though they are visible in a File Window.
    Trying to open the object file direct returns the same unable to find file.
    Regards Bruce.

bruce1943, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You might see if you may be able to do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to sort it.

System Restore Windows 10

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  7. bruce1943 Win User
    My problem started with the upgrade to W10 so any restore points will not help.

Thanks for your help. I will mark is this post as closed in about 24 hours in case anyone else responds.

Cheers.

bruce1943, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop shortcuts not locating files - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts locating

2. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing a file location from a shortcut: Hi There Folks!I have a lot of photos downloaded to my PC Windows 10 from my iCloud account, I'm trying to move some of them into a separate folder and I'm having issues changing the file locations. The photos/videos in question are in their separate folder, but they're...
  3. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing a file location from a shortcut: Hi There Folks!I have a lot of photos downloaded to my PC Windows 10 from my iCloud account, I'm trying to move some of them into a separate folder and I'm having issues changing the file locations. The photos/videos in question are in their separate folder, but they're...
  4. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop shortcut for an application file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop shortcut for an application file: I am trying to create a desktop shortcut for "fastdl.app". I know that I can type that in as the URL in various browsers, but, I don't seem to be able to create a shortcut for it. When I type in "fastdl.app" without the quotes in the "Target" box, I get the error message:The...
  6. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  7. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

"Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  8. Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop: I can't seem to find a way to add/copy files or anything on my desktop. Does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appsfilesshortcuts-on-desktop/d338707b-6d03-4f18-a946-c8752a813215
  9. Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop

Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop: I can't seem to find a way to add/copy files or anything on my desktop. Does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appsfilesshortcuts-on-desktop/d338707b-6d03-4f18-a946-c8752a813215
  10. Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop.: This is an issue that has been asked about through various problems reported for years. The error is similar to this one: [ATTACH] Many answers include doing all sorts of utilitarian stuff. I must have looked at dozens of suggested solutions. And actually doing what the...