Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Cannot delete some (some I can some I cant) desktop icons. Right click does not show delete option. If I try to drag and drop to recycle bin I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Romeo Hotel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Desktop shortcuts

Cannot delete some (some I can some I cant) desktop icons. Right click does not show delete option.
    If I try to drag and drop to recycle bin I just get a dragable? blue line.
    Any suggestions welcome.

:)

Romeo Hotel, Nov 27, 2017
  2. Mikesergi Win User

Saved shortcuts on desktop is not getting deleted or moving the same is creating a duplicate in Windows 10.

Original Title: Shortcut on desktop

Hi, when I try to delete a shortcut on my surface pro 4 desktop it does not delete but becomes inactive. If I try to move a shortcut on the desktop it duplicates the shortcut and the original shortcut becomes inactive. It is really annoying, pls help. It
    is windows 10.

Mikesergi, Nov 27, 2017
  3. How to arrange desktop shotcuts in Windows 10.

Original Title: desktop shortcuts

how to arrange desktop shortcuts

KenMorgan-986, Nov 27, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop shortcuts

Hello Romeo, *Smile

Which desktop icons can you not remove? A screenshot may also help ID the issue.

As a test, does refreshing (F5) the desktop help if they are just ghosts?

Brink, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Hello Brink, thank you for your reply. I am really having problems with this one, but since posting I have found that a number of the icons are duplicated and some are sitting on top of another. I am trying to sort this out, and hopefully this will solve the problem. I will of course notify you of progress.

Romeo Hotel, Nov 27, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, you can right click on your desktop, click on View, and click on Align icons to grid to check this item and have your icons no longer overlap each other.

Brink, Nov 27, 2017
  7. Hello Brink, align to grid was already checked so no result.
    Please see attached screenshot which shows shortcuts stacked on top of each other.
    For example Irfanview is on top of BloombergTV. I can drag Irfanview but I cant do anything
    with the Bloomberg icon that remains.

Romeo Hotel, Nov 28, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop shortcuts

Odd. Does refreshing (F5) help any?

If not, have you already tried toggling "Auto arrange icons" off and on to see if that may fix their order?

Brink, Nov 28, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    Open your C;\Users\YourName\Desktop folder to see if there are duplicate names that you can delete, then sort by name in Details view. Or, when you r-click a blank area of desktop, try 'Sort by/Name' to see if they rearrange without overlap.
    If not, do you have 'auto arrange icons' option above 'Align icons to grid' to try ?

mrgeek, Nov 28, 2017
  10. Hello Brink, thanks for suggestions, but f5 refresh does not help.
    I tried auto arrange and it did move some of the icons around, but a lot
    are still stacked one on top of another icon. I can move the top icon, but I
    cannot do anything with the icon that is left behind.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm starting to wonder if this may be graphics glitch. Do you have the latest video driver installed?

How do these items look if you open your Desktop in File Explorer instead?

Brink, Nov 28, 2017
  12. Hi, I am pretty sure I have the latest graphics installed.
    I have opened desktop from file explorer as you suggest and the icons are not stacked - see screen shot, but what is the overlay that looks like a document ?

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop shortcuts

Brink, Nov 28, 2017
  14. Hi Brink, OK the shortcut arrows are restored, but the document like overlay is still there. (screenshot).
    During a restart the destop loads perfectly, but as the download progresses it develops the duplicates and
    finishes with the icons stacked.
    Desktop shortcuts [​IMG]

15. mrgeek Win User
    Desktop shortcuts [​IMG]

What is this toolbar at the top ? Do you have a 3rd party tool installed that you can disable ?

mrgeek, Nov 28, 2017
Thema:

Desktop shortcuts

1. Desktop shortcuts - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts

2. Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps: The only way I know of to create a desktop shortcut for an app is slightly complicated because I have to hunt down and search for the .exe file and then create a shortcut from that. This is a lot harder than it sounds because I find apps installed in multiple different...
  3. Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps: The only way I know of to create a desktop shortcut for an app is slightly complicated because I have to hunt down and search for the .exe file and then create a shortcut from that. This is a lot harder than it sounds because I find apps installed in multiple different...
  4. How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...

How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...: How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the Gmail icon? I created the shortcut but it defaulted to the Edge icon. When Gmail is pinned to my taskbar, the Gmail icon appears same for Ravelry pin vs. shortcut. Minor vexation here as...
  5. How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...: How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the Gmail icon? I created the shortcut but it defaulted to the Edge icon. When Gmail is pinned to my taskbar, the Gmail icon appears same for Ravelry pin vs. shortcut. Minor vexation here as...
  6. How to find calculator.exe path and add shortcut to desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find calculator.exe path and add shortcut to desktop?: In Windows 11 how do I find the executable path to the calculator executable, then add a shortcut to the calculator on my windows desktop?This used to be easy under Windows 10! So far the only way I see to find and executable path is in the Task Manager, which is in and of...
  7. How to find calculator.exe path and add shortcut to desktop?

How to find calculator.exe path and add shortcut to desktop?: In Windows 11 how do I find the executable path to the calculator executable, then add a shortcut to the calculator on my windows desktop?This used to be easy under Windows 10! So far the only way I see to find and executable path is in the Task Manager, which is in and of...
  8. I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working: Dear Support,I have created a URL Shortcut GPO to create a URL based shortcut on desktop but its not working on old profiles. Kindly guide me why is it not working for old user Profiles. I have logged-on the with this new Profile:Kindly guide me.Thanks....
  9. I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working

I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working: Dear Support,I have created a URL Shortcut GPO to create a URL based shortcut on desktop but its not working on old profiles. Kindly guide me why is it not working for old user Profiles. I have logged-on the with this new Profile:Kindly guide me.Thanks....
  10. Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear: I just got back home and all of my desktop shortcuts except for a few of them had disappeared I don't understand why I need help please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whyd-all-my-desktop-shortcuts-disapear/5abf6f5c-f58d-4eed-96bc-6c84d4aa40d0