Windows 10: Device Guard WDAC CIP UserPEs

Discus and support Device Guard WDAC CIP UserPEs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm working with Windows Device Guard WDAC to create a Code Integrity Policy. To create a policy I use the New-CIPolicy Cmdlet. In the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by S_Tobias, Apr 18, 2020.

1. S_Tobias Win User

Device Guard WDAC CIP UserPEs

Hi,

I'm working with Windows Device Guard WDAC to create a Code Integrity Policy.
    To create a policy I use the New-CIPolicy Cmdlet.
    In the documentation it says:
    >To create a policy that includes user mode executables applications, when you run New-CIPolicy, include the -UserPEs option.

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/wi...ation-control/select-types-of-rules-to-create

I'm now wondering, what is defined as a "user mode executable"?

From a OS perspective I know there is something like the user mode and the kernel mode.

Is the -UserPEs option related to that?

As far as I can see, "kernel" files are added as "SIGNINGSCENARIO_DRIVERS" and "user" files to the "SIGNINGSCENARIO_WINDOWS" section in the CI Policy.

Example from a C:\Windows\system32 policy:
    SIGNINGSCENARIO_DRIVERS:

* C:\Windows\System32\aadjcsp.dll

* C:\Windows\System32\AdaptiveCards.dll

* C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys

SIGNINGSCENARIO_WINDOWS:

* C:\Windows\System32\aadauthhelper.dll

* C:\Windows\System32\aadcloudap.dll

* C:\Windows\System32\AgentService.exe

I know there is a IMAGE_FILE_SYSTEM flag in the PE characteristics, but I could not find the flag in any of the listed files.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/pe-format

I could also not find any obvious difference in the PE header.

Can any one explain what exactly is defined as a "kernel" and what as "user" application and how this is determined based on the given PE file.

Best regards,
    Tobias

:)

S_Tobias, Apr 18, 2020
  2. Ramhound Win User

VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard

Windows Sandbox cannot be enabled on Windows 10 Home. The workaround you most likely used, does not even work, and has never actually worked. However, when you attempted to enable Windows Sandbox, it also enabled Credential Guard and Device Guard.

The first thing you need to backup any critical files you cannot live without. Depending on the state of your system you might decide it's time to simply reinstall Windows 10 Home. An alternative is to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional so you can Enable Windows Sandbox then disable it properly. The following suggestion was written against an assumption that Windows Sandbox was properly enabled and not left in a broken state due to a workaround solution on Windows 10 Home.

Source:

Ramhound, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Credential Guard lab companion

Source: Credential Guard lab companion Datacenter and Private Cloud Security Blog

See also:

Brink, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified

Source: Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified - Microsoft Tech Community - 376419

Device Guard WDAC CIP UserPEs [​IMG]
    Tip How to Enable or Disable Device Guard in Windows 10

How to Verify if Device Guard is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Credential Guard in Windows 10

How to Verify if Credential Guard is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

Brink, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Device Guard WDAC CIP UserPEs - Similar Threads - Device Guard WDAC

2. Device Guard, Core Isolation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Device Guard, Core Isolation: Hello, everyone!Can I add my service to Virtualization Based Security ?Now, it has Credential Guard and Hypervisor enforced Code Integrity. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-guard-core-isolation/e6516c9a-20a7-40d8-9a1b-ff65894b8bb1
  3. Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Wireless_Life [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l7w0j3/windows_10_device_guard_and_credential_guard/
  4. Unattend.XML (cip?.......) 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unattend.XML (cip?.......) 1809: Hello, i'm a French from France, two days ago i started to learn how to unattend an installation of Windows 10, so even is i finished to slipstream "stack and cumulative update" correctly easyly (DISM cmd's), while i try to install ".ISO" with VirtualBox, there is always an...
  5. Device/Credential Guard are not compatible.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Device/Credential Guard are not compatible.: I have to use VMware Workstation for some reason but it says Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. So from the research I got to know that first I have to disable the Credential Guard then I maybe able to use VMware Workstation, And for that I need a Group Policy...
  6. Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Device Guard and Credential Guard Demystified: While helping Windows Enterprise customers deploy and realize the benefits of Windows 10, I've observed there's still a lot of confusion regarding the security features of the operating system. This is a shame since some of the key benefits of Windows 10 involve these deep...
  7. Turn off Credential Guard or Device Guard

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off Credential Guard or Device Guard: Whenever I try to run a vm in vmware,it gives this error: VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard. Any help?...
  8. Turn off Credential Guard of Device Guard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off Credential Guard of Device Guard: Whenever I try to run a vm in vmware,it gives this error: Any help?VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard....
  9. Device and Crudential guard not Compatible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Device and Crudential guard not Compatible: Hi, So I got a Mac OS X 10.4 Mojave on a host computer with Windows 10 and I got an error that says "Device and Crudential guard are not compatible with VMware 15. Is there any way to fix it. All the Best...
  10. How to disable "Device Guard"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable "Device Guard": Hi, I am trying to install a software but i have to turn off "Device Guard" in my surface pro before i can do so. Please provide steps on how to do so....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SIGNINGSCENARIO_DRIVERS

2. aadcloudap.dll скачать