Windows 10: disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703

Discus and support disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am also also using latest Classic Shell..... I have tried all reg edits etc listed on this forum and all they do is enable "auto arrange" to show so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wingman1800, Apr 15, 2017.

1. disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703

I am also also using latest Classic Shell..... I have tried all reg edits etc listed on this forum and all they do is enable "auto arrange" to show so I can ck or unck it but uncked it will not allow me to even move folders or icons which are inside another folder. Work around was to put everything in separate folders and number them in sequence which at least shows in order. Is Classic shell causing my problem or is there no way to do this in new update?

:)

wingman1800, Apr 15, 2017

2. Rearranging picture order in Windows 7 and Windows 10

The developers removed the Auto-Arrange option in Windows 7. Either of these third party fixes will add it back so you can disable it.

How to Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 7? - The Winhelponline Blog

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-7/

Windows 7 - Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable

Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

For Win10:

Auto Arrange in Folders - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

Or:

How to Disable Full Row Select and Auto Arrange in Windows 10?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-auto-arrange-folders-windows-10/

Bruce Hagen, Apr 15, 2017
  3. Bruce Hagen, Apr 15, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703

Do you mean autoaarange on just desktop? Or autoaarange in folders? Latter is only available by third party solutions, like Winaero tweaker.
    I don't use it, so somebody else should give you more relevant info...

AndreTen, Apr 15, 2017
  5. I have no problems on Desktop, but can not move any files in folders. Winaero does work great for changing text size and also making text bold but do not see anything for auto arrange???

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 15, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "Work around was to put everything in separate folders and number them in sequence which at least shows in order."

I think you want to do the same thing as I do almost every day- rearrange files in a folder and then re-number or rename them. I use Classic Shell, that's not the problem. I also have used Brink's tutorial in all editions of Windows since 8, a God-send since I like to add new pictures to a folder, rearrange them in a logical sequence and then rename. His bat files in the tute still work even if the rearrangement won't stick. See here-

disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 [​IMG]

But I perform my rename operation before closing the explorer window so the issue of not sticking after close or refresh is not an issue with what I want to accomplish. I can suggest that if you're working with a large number of pictures, FastStone Image Viewer FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter allows all sorts of rearrangement and renaming from within the program. If you're working with other types of files, please elaborate.

mrgeek, Apr 15, 2017
  8. disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703

Thanks for the advice, but I have a folder on the desktop that inside I put often used programs and folders. I like to put them in the order of importance to me.... aka not alphabetical order etc. Also it seems to treat a numbered folder {inside desktop folder} differently than a numbered program icon..... so for the time being I made a separate numbered folder for each item and at least they are in number order .

9. mrgeek Win User
    Aah, so you're trying to re-arrange mixed content. I can't vouch for whether that ever worked before but I'll take your word for it. Explorer has always put folders in order at the top of the list unless you resorted by type or date the last time you opened that folder.

mrgeek, Apr 15, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    There is a blog on Winareo, that promises to do, just what you asked to..

disable-auto-arrange-in-folders-in-windows-10-windows-8-and-windows-7

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2017
  11. mrgeek Win User
    This note at the end implies that it won't stick -
    "Note that this Registry tweak only disables auto arrange for the following icon views: large icons, medium icons, small icons and extra large icons. List view, Details view, Tiles view and Content view are not affected. Also, this does not affect auto sorting/auto refresh which continues to happen in Explorer."

mrgeek, Apr 16, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 16, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hopefully, it's only a temporary issue until the next release.

Brink, Apr 16, 2017
  15. mazza Win User
    Looks like it's temporary as version 1703 OS Build 16176 is working again for me. Just a matter of waiting I guess. *chuckle

mazza, Apr 17, 2017
Thema:

1. disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 - Similar Threads - disable auto arrange

2. How to disable auto arrange?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable auto arrange?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mergisi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/loj3a9/how_to_disable_auto_arrange/
  3. Disabling auto arrange in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling auto arrange in folders: When is Microsoft going to let its users disable auto arrange in folders? I am not talking about the desktop here. All my files etc. that are in Folders are being aligned automatically and I want to move them around freely wherever I want. I could do this in Windows XP...
  4. Disable auto-arrange

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable auto-arrange: Why has Microsoft removed the option to turn off auto-arrange in Windows 10? Is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-auto-arrange/703204e2-f403-4045-bc21-d25c96752603"
  5. How to disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version?: My computer recently forced me to update Windows 10 the latest version which I do not like. So, has anyone here come up with a way to disable the auto arrange feature in the Windows 10 Creator's Update version 1703? 116253
  6. Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer: First off I used the forum search function and didn't fins any threads addressing this issue so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicated topic and I somehow missed it. I have disliked this "feature" since windows 7 and I see they still have not restored the ability...
  7. Creators Update version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creators Update version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413): I updated my Desktop with the latest Creators Update (1703 (OS Build 15063.413)) on 1st July. It has worked smoothly and without a hiccup for five days. Should I consider my updated Windows 10 as stable or wait for some more time? Suggestions please. Amarnath Wanchoo 88277
  8. Files in folders auto arrange after the Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Files in folders auto arrange after the Creators Update: I got the update today and of course, everything was arranging alphanumerically. I quickly managed to get the files on my desktop to stop moving everytime I refreshed, but nothing works for anything in a folder, and Brink's tutorial no longer works. I have a large number of...
  9. Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703. While you can still arrange items...
  10. Windows 10 Version 1703 Creator's Update Broke My Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Version 1703 Creator's Update Broke My Computer: So yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and decided to let my PC do the Windows 10 Version 1703 Creator's Update. After about 8 hours, I finally went to bed and let it keep running. Well sometime during the night it finally finished. Logged in this morning only to see that all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how did disable auto arrange in folders work in version 1607

2. Winaero Tweaker disable auto arrange