Windows 10: Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

Discus and support Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. I have been using my PC manufacturers Synaptics touch-pad driver for years without issue, it is from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tonightwetaco, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue.

I have been using my PC manufacturers Synaptics touch-pad driver for years without issue, it is from 2015. The other day Windows 10 automatically updated to some 2017 Synpatics driver. I lost the ability to scroll up or down with my touch-pad. I have reinstalled the 2015 factory OEM Synaptics software but each time I run Windows Update it automatically installs the new Synaptics driver. How do I prevent this? Isn't it best to just use OEM Synaptic drivers?

Thanks!

:)

tonightwetaco, Feb 13, 2018
  2. Kaisonic Win User

Cannot Disable VIA Audio Driver Automatic Update

TL;DR version:

Windows 10 updates, including Device Manager automatic driver updates, can be disabled with this Group Policy:

Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Mangement -> Internet Communication settings -> "Turn off access to all Windows Update features" enabled

Full post:

Since Microsoft was SO helpful here [/sarcasm] I decided to take a closer look at the available Group Policy options. (Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc). First I tried these settings:

Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation -> "Specify search order for device driver source locations" enabled, set to "Do not search Windows Update"

Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation -> "Turn off Windows Update device driver search prompt" enabled

Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Mangement -> Internet Communication settings -> "Turn off Windows Update device driver searching" enabled

Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> "Configure Automatic Updates" enabled, set to "2 - Notify for download and notify for install"

Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" disabled

I then ran my audio driver setup file, but after a restart, Windows immediately installed a new driver. So that didn't work.

I finally resorted to this option:

Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Mangement -> Internet Communication settings -> "Turn off access to all Windows Update features" enabled

I noticed that the description includes "This policy setting also prevents Device Manager from automatically installing driver updates from the Windows Update website", which is exactly what I need. I enabled this, ran the setup again, restarted, and the
    driver stayed!

So that's the solution, to just disable Windows Update altogether. I suppose I'll have to re-enable every once in a while to get any important updates. Maybe after I re-enable, since the driver is already installed, it won't trigger the automatic update,
    like running the setup file does? Like it was when I first installed Windows 10? Maybe that will work.

But in any case, no thanks to Microsoft, I finally "solved" the issue. A good Windows enhancement would be to split that Group Policy item into two items - one for regular updates, and one specifically for automatic Device Manager updates. But if the Windows
    10 forums on the official Microsoft website aren't read by anyone even close to the Windows 10 development team, I have no clue how to even try and suggest this to them.

Kaisonic, Feb 13, 2018
  3. Kaisonic Win User
    Cannot Disable VIA Audio Driver Automatic Update

Also, as a side note, I posted here in the Microsoft community because I already contacted Microsoft's "professional" support, and I was informed that they are equipped to handle basic questions only. This is an advanced technical support issue, and if
    the only responses I will get are from the same team that runs the chat/phone support service, please tell me where I can contact someone more knowledgeable.

Kaisonic, Feb 13, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

Hi, like you, I found that to have one finger and chiral (circular) scrolling on my touchpad I had to find a significantly older version of my Synaptics driver- actually one nominally for a different PC as there isn't one for mine. This driver works much better than my manufacturer's. Loss of this functionality with later drivers is not an uncommon problem, apparently.

You can 'hide' windows updates (same terminology as in Win 7).

Many answers are available in the tutorial section:
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index | Windows 10 Tutorials

Start here:
    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

More of possible interest although much less appropriate:
    Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Also have a look at Windows update minitool (free) which is really useful.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2018
  5. so there is no simple way to disable automatic updates in Windows 10?

6. alright I downloaded the notify of updates registry file and merged it successfully. However I am not able to check for windows updates because the button says "install now" and this would install the Synaptics driver I do not want.

7. dalchina New Member
    Yes. Disconnect your internet.

You do not want to completely disable all updates for obvious reasons- nor was that the question you asked.
    MS has made it harder to disable windows update.
    Windows Update Minitool offers a one-click option to disable Windows update, as well as the far far better option to set it to Notify. Have you looked at that tool? Best try it - but I can't guarantee if disable actually works.

If you want to know more about disabling Windows update, please search recent threads on that on this site.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2018
  8. Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

the Windows Update Minitool solved the issue, thank you.

So I should use the Windows Update Minitool from now on instead of using Windows Update GUI?

9. dalchina New Member
    Good- it depends what you've done with the tool- Notify is great- gives you control- (it's a group policy setting in Pro). if you've disabled updates, that's the crudest possible option, and definitely not what I recommend.

You actually need only to stop one driver update- and that you can do also with Minitool if you install the old driver version, then check for updates with Minitool, then hide specifically the one you don't want.

Also set updates to Notify- should never have an unexpected upgrade or restart.

That way you then leave Windows update to work normally.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2018
  10. tonightwetaco, Feb 13, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    You're welcome.. MS's default with windows update is the worst setting...

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

1. Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update - Similar Threads - Disable Automatic Update

2. Disable windows to update my GPU driver automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable windows to update my GPU driver automatically: Hi guys...Please tell me how to stop windows to update my GPU driver automatically...I have an amd GPU..Thanks... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-windows-to-update-my-gpu-driver/c6265f5a-0eb8-4e0f-8464-092d964f937f
  3. Disable windows to update my GPU driver automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable windows to update my GPU driver automatically: Hi guys...Please tell me how to stop windows to update my GPU driver automatically...I have an amd GPU..Thanks... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-windows-to-update-my-gpu-driver/c6265f5a-0eb8-4e0f-8464-092d964f937f
  4. How to disable audio driver updating automatically?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable audio driver updating automatically?: Alright so, I want to keep this audio driver since it works normally, but sometimes when I come back later, it goes to Realtek Audio instead. Is there a way to forcefully keep this audio driver by default?...
  5. How to disable audio driver updating automatically?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable audio driver updating automatically?: Alright so, I want to keep this audio driver since it works normally, but sometimes when I come back later, it goes to Realtek Audio instead. Is there a way to forcefully keep this audio driver by default?...
  6. How to disable audio driver updating automatically?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Disable the automatic updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable the automatic updates: Hi How do I disable the automatic updates completely on every edition of Windows 10 20H2? Thanks Bye 170059
  8. How to Disable Drivers Updating Automatically when Windows Updates in Progress

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Disable Drivers Updating Automatically when Windows Updates in Progress: Hi, Is there a way of stopping drivers from disabling automatically when Windows updates are being performed? I am finding that with an increasing number of laptops that I am reformatting with new W10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft, the graphics drivers are updating and...
  9. Disable automatics updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable automatics updates: How to disable automatic updates in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatics-updates/d6484564-a7b1-4fd7-bd15-520dd58072cf
  10. Disable Automatic Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Automatic Updates: Right now, after installing Windows 10, I only have the option to Automatically Install Updates or Notify to Schedule Restart. This is a problem, I want to be able to choose what drivers I install. I don't want windows automatically installing all the craptastic 3rd party...