Windows 10: disable system-level task

Discus and support disable system-level task in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; i had posted a question here several days ago regarding unwanted windows updates and the annoying message that would take over my screen/system. the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dinosaur, Oct 6, 2017.

1. dinosaur Win User

disable system-level task

i had posted a question here several days ago regarding unwanted windows updates and the annoying message that would take over my screen/system. the message was commanding me to change my privacy settings to allow further updating. i found this was related to UNP, an installed update (program) called "windows 10 update and privacy settings" and a scheduled task under "windows UNP", runcampaignmanager.

i don't want the fall creators update, or any other updates, because my system works fine as is.

had been using the "alt+F4" keyboard combo to nuke the "take over my system" screen and kept up with my searches.

FOUND ! a simple program that gives you root authority over your system called "Give Me Power". I used this in conjunction with a NirSoft utility called Task Scheduler View to disable the UNP task runcampaignmanager.

I also found a handy utility called Double Driver that helps you back up your currently installed drivers.

warning - "Give Me Power" really does give you power, including the power to really screw up your OS.

that being said, i have been able to halt all udating from dell and microsoft, and with this aforementioned combo, i have hopefully killed the final annoyance

I am an old fossil from what is now considered the dark ages (pre-windows) and have watched windows grow from its initial (laughable) release to the current bloated monster that we see before us. why do i use windows ? i actually liked XP, but my old laptop (15-17 years) was running into some issues. looked at apple (too much $$), piddled with linux and bsd over the years (losing patience, probably a function of age as much as fundamental contrariness), nailed a lo-buck windows 10 home edition machine at an electronics discounter. having retired many years ago from ant IT position many years ago, i still hold the view that many people would be happy with a basic, simple, solid OS that they can control

nirsoft has its own site with some really handy utilities. double driver and give me power can be found at majorgeeks.com

:)

dinosaur, Oct 6, 2017

2. CANCEL AUTOMATIC UPDATES

In theory it would suffice to disable the Windows Automatic Update service. In practice this is not enough because the service can get re-enabled by other mechanisms. You would need to create a scheduled task that invokes once every hour a script to keep
    the update service disabled. Creating such a task and the script itself requires good skills at a maintenance level.

Frederik Long, Oct 6, 2017
  3. How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide

PROBLEM SOLVED --QUALITY UPDATE NOT INSTALLING..KEEPS DOWNLOADING.

OK I just wrote a book explaining that all advice given was useless in respect of Quality update KB4088776 not installing and keeping downloading and even Microsoft agents after taking over the computer could NOT fix it.

I came across the following.

1...From Start--search for msconfig.

2...Click on System Configuration from your search results.

3...Go to services on the System Configuration Dialog Box and click on " Hide all Microsoft Services" box.

4...Go to Start up on the System Configuration Dialog box and click on Open Task Manager

5..In Task Manager click on each item and select disable. DISABLE ALL one by one.

6..Close Task Manager..

7..On the start up tab of the System Configuration dialog click Apply and OK.

8.. It will Restart

9.. After the restart go to settings, Windows Update, click Check for updates.( if not doing already)

10. Update downloads and installs succesfully. Should take whilethough.

Good luck

Guido level 4 novice.

Guidovan Breemen, Oct 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

- and don't forget about all those universal app updates and background data downloads secretly going on behind your back... there's a scheduled task for that..

To preserve- or maybe fossilise? *chuckle your system state, consider using disk imaging. A disk image is a compressed copy of the Windows partitions or other disks and partitions best held on external storage.

If some sneaky nasty update actually found its way onto your system, you could restore it from the disk image- that applies too should your disk fail and you need to get a new one.

You still need to get AV updates- and Defender updates are delivered by the update mechanism. So check what's happening to those.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
Thema:

1. disable system-level task - Similar Threads - disable system level

2. sound level on the sound system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sound level on the sound system: The system sound on my laptop cannot be changed directly, if the sound is made to zero then the sound is off, and if louder has same sound level . sound must customized from settings of the running application....
  3. sound level on the sound system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sound level on the sound system: The system sound on my laptop cannot be changed directly, if the sound is made to zero then the sound is off, and if louder has same sound level . sound must customized from settings of the running application....
  4. Task manager is disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager is disabled: Hi,Recently I discovered, when I open my lock screen with ctrl + alt + del the task manager is missing from the bottom. I tried to run the exe but it says that I need admin rights, I checked and I'm the admin on my PC.I also edited the Local Group Policy:User Configuration ->...
  5. Safe to disable tasks?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe to disable tasks?: For the past few months, my computer wakes up in the middle of the night. Using "powercfg -lastwake" in cmd I was able to trace the cause to Update Orchestrator. I found this guide and followed it....
  6. how to disable system task waking up the pc repeatedly?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to disable system task waking up the pc repeatedly?: The laptop is brand new and upgraded to May 2019 latest build. You can see from title and the attached image that the pc wakes up from standby and it seems related to a system event (usoclient.exe), from task scheduler. I can't disable them manually as it requires a...
  7. Battery level indicator on task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery level indicator on task bar: One day, my battery level indicator in my notification area disappeared. Then my network status icon disappeared. I believe these events happened because of updates. I played with the many settings menus that Windows has to offer and was able to turn the network icon back...
  8. Cannot Disable Task Scheduler Tasks

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Disable Task Scheduler Tasks: I thought I was the administrator? Apparently not. I wish there was a real equivalent to root on Windows, le sigh. How do I fix this? https://i.imgur.com/q1Qq4yf.png 109820
  9. Scheduled task to decrease UAC level?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scheduled task to decrease UAC level?: I have the local admin rights on my work laptop but at the same time GPO enforces default UAC settings on the power up. This is annoying as it prevents some apps I use from proper running (e.g. PhraseExpress or DirectFolders). I have no idea why those apps need a prior UAC...
  10. No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler: Hello, I'm trying to disable a task in Task Scheduler, FCU 1709 as I always did with all previous versions of W 10 without problems. Now, when I go to Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Update Orchestrator/Scheduled Scan and trying to disable that task, I'm getting the...