Windows 10: Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows

Discus and support Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows How to Display Your DNS Resolver Cache in Windows A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, Nov 12, 2016.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows

How to: Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows

How to Display Your DNS Resolver Cache in Windows

A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted visits to websites and other Internet domains.

The Internet relies on the Domain Name System (DNS) to maintain an index of all public websites and their corresponding IP addresses. Every time a user visits a website by its name (such as "tenforums.com"), the user's web browser initiates a request out to the Internet, but this request cannot be completed until the website name is converted into an IP address.

This conversion process is called name resolution and is the job of DNS, but it takes time. A DNS cache attempts to speed up the process by handling the name resolution before the request is sent out to the Internet.

If the IP address of a website changes before your DNS cache updates, you may not be able to load the webpage. If you are running into a lot of Page Not Found errors and you know you are connected to the Internet, you could try flushing your DNS cache to have your computer request new information.

Viewing the contents of your DNS cache may help in troubleshooting to verify name resolution and IP.

This tutorial will show you how to view the contents of your DNS resolver cache in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

ipconfig /displaydns Output Explained:

[table][tr][td]Output[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Record Name[/td] [td]This is the name you query DNS for, and the records (addresses or something else) belong to that name.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Record Type[/td] [td]This is the type, displayed as a number - although more commonly they are referred to by their names, internally (in the DNS protocol) each has a number. Type 1 is "A" for "address", an IPv4 address. (IPv6 uses type 28, "AAAA", for an address four times as long.) "PTR", type 12, is a "pointer" to a hostname - most commonly used when mapping an IP address back to its name. "CNAME" is "canonical name".[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Time to Live[/td] [td]This is the time in seconds after which the cache entry must expire.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Data Length[/td] [td]This is the length in bytes - an IPv4 address is four bytes, IPv6 is sixteen bytes. For CNAME or PTR, Windows displays a static number (either 4 or 8, depending on your system) - this is actually the size of a memory address where the actual text is kept.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]CNAME Record[/td] [td]Domain (will check the address of this domain instead of the domain, CNAME records can have a very long TTL so its useful to avoid unnecessary queries.)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]A (Host) Record[/td] [td]This is the IPv4 address of the domain name.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]AAAA Record [/td] [td]This is the IPv6 address of the domain name.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Display DNS Resolver Cache in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: To Export DNS Resolver Cache to a .txt File

OPTION ONE [/i] To Display DNS Resolver Cache in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    *Arrow ipconfig /displayDNS
    3. You will now see the contents of your DNS cache.

Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows [​IMG]

*note If you see a Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache message, then either item below may be the cause.
    • You just flushed the DNS resolver cache. If so, then the next time you open a web page, the DND cache will have content again.
    • The DNS Client service has been disabled. If so, then enabling the "DNS Client" service and setting it to Automatic (Trigger Start) and Start (Running) will all the DNS cache to work again.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Export DNS Resolver Cache to a .txt File
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow ipconfig /displayDNS >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DNS_cache.txt

3. You will now have a DNS_cache.txt file on your desktop.

4. You can open the DNS_cache.txt file to see the contents of your DNS cache.

*note If you see a Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache message, then either item below may be the cause.
    • You just flushed the DNS resolver cache. If so, then the next time you open a web page, the DND cache will have content again.
    • The DNS Client service has been disabled. If so, then enabling the "DNS Client" service and setting it to Automatic (Trigger Start) and Start (Running) will all the DNS cache to work again.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

f14tomcat, Nov 12, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

how often should I flush the DNS resolver cache by using the command prompt "ipconfig/flushdns"?

Where is the Wi-Fi generated?

lacrumb, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Mecandes Win User
    One or more network protocols are missing: Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing.

ipconfig /release /renew and /flushdns all seem to work, but

ipconfig /registerdns gives this message:

"Registration of DNS records failed: the parameter is incorrect"

ipconfig /displaydns gives this message:

"Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache."

Mecandes, Nov 12, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Dick. I added some additional explanation of the output to the tutorial to help. *Smile

Brink, Nov 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows - Similar Threads - Display DNS Resolver

2. How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows: The Windows operating system uses a cache for DNS entries. DNS (Domain Name System) is a core technology of the Internet that is being used for communication. In particular, it is used to lookup IP addresses of domain names. [ATTACH] When users type a domain name in the...
  3. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS RESOLVE ISSUES: I have An Ad with 2 DC with DNS , I have Some servers which needs to go on internet , but not others. IF i configure Forwarders all Servers will resolve public DNS queries .If I am adding secondary DNS as public DNS , public DNS queries are not resolved , If i Move it to the...
  4. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS RESOLVE ISSUES: I have An Ad with 2 DC with DNS , I have Some servers which needs to go on internet , but not others. IF i configure Forwarders all Servers will resolve public DNS queries .If I am adding secondary DNS as public DNS , public DNS queries are not resolved , If i Move it to the...
  5. Flush DNS Cache

Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  6. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  7. DNS not resolved on material.angularjs.org

DNS not resolved on material.angularjs.org: Hello! I'm taking a course which needs Angular2, and the website is not possible to reach. I have a ZTE F668 ONT router, DIGI Hungary network provider. The router is able to ping the website with built in tool. Android devices on the local WiFi network can open the...
  8. DNS Cache

DNS Cache: I have a site that was pointed to shopify, and then closed the store. Now when I try to load the new site, it always directs to the closed shopify site. If I do a dns reset using ipconfig /flushdns it will work for a while, but then always reverts back. So I have to reset...
  9. DNS Cache Users

DNS Cache Users: Do Google Chrome, MS Edge, & IE all use the same DNS Cache? And is there any wisdom to periodically flushing the cache just as a normal maintenance routine? 80766
  10. Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10: How to: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 How to Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 [img] Information A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. display dns resolver windows 10