Windows 10: Open Command Prompt in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Command Prompt in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Command Prompt in Windows 10 How to Open a Command Prompt in Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sml156, Apr 25, 2017.

1. sml156 Win User

Open Command Prompt in Windows 10

How to: Open Command Prompt in Windows 10

How to Open a Command Prompt in Windows 10

A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface.

This tutorial will show you different ways to open a command prompt in Windows 10.

Contents

EXAMPLE: Command Prompt

Open Command Prompt in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Command Prompt from Win+X Quick Link Menu
    Starting with Windows 10 build 14971, Windows PowerShell will show in the Win+X menu by default now instead of Command Prompt.

Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

1 Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Command Prompt from Task Manager
    1 Open Task Manager with more details.

2 Click/tap on File (menu bar), and click/tap on Run new task. (see screenshot below)

3 Type cmd or cmd.exe, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Command Prompt in Search
    1 Press the Win + S keys to open Search.

2 Type cmd into the search box. (see screenshot below)

3 When Command Prompt shows up in the search results, click/tap on it.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Command Prompt from All apps in Start Menu
    1 Open the Start menu, and click/tap on All Apps at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

2 In All Apps, scroll down and expand open the Windows System folder, then click/tap on Command Prompt.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Open Command Prompt from File Explorer
    1 While you have a folder or drive open in File Explorer (Win+E), type cmd into the address bar, and press Enter to open the command prompt in whatever folder or drive you have open.

OR

2 Open File Explorer (Win+E), navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder, and click/tap on the cmd.exe file. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] Open Command Prompt from Run
    1 Press the Win + R keys to open Run.

2 Type cmd, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To "Open Command Window Here" in File Explorer
    This option allows you to open a command prompt that opens to the same location as the selected folder or drive.

Starting with Open PowerShell window here context menu item.

How to Add 'Open command window here' context menu in Windows 10

1 In File Explorer, press and hold the Shift key, right click or press and hold on a folder or drive that you want to open the command prompt at that location, release the Shift key, and click/tap on Open command window here. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sml156, Apr 25, 2017

2. Command Prompt will not stay open in windows 10

Hi Giridhar J,

Thanks for responding

I checked in system32 and cmd.exe dated (07/10/2015) is there.

I then ran cmd. in safe mode with the same results Command window opens then quickly closes, more like it

will flash open then close.

I'm willing to try any further subjections if you please!

FullhouseAces&10s, Apr 25, 2017
  3. Command Prompt will not stay open in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

Check if a cmd.exe file is present in c:\windows\system32 folder and right click on that file and try to run as administrator.

Method 2

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. Refer the article to boot to Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 25, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you @sml156. I added that as part of Option Five. *Smile

Brink, Apr 25, 2017
  5. KOREA7 Win User
    Worked for me thanks *Smile

KOREA7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open Command Prompt in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Command Prompt

2. Command prompt randomly opens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt randomly opens: Hello.I have a issue with my windows 10 home Computer.My command prompt randomly opens when I'm on say..A game, or a software that is non-harmful to my device.However, my command prompt randomly opens, with no commands issued in it.Thanks tech support, and others that can...
  3. Command prompt not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command prompt not opening: Hi All, Whenever I try to open a command prompt in windows 10 it crashes automatically. Please assist how to fix the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-not-opening/cc3ba5c9-0dda-421b-b0af-d3e128135a1c
  4. Command Prompt not opening in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt not opening in Windows 10: I had a problem opening command prompt in Windows 10. When I used Win+R and typing in cmd, the command prompt opened for a brief moment and the closed again. I found the culprit causing this on my PC, it was a malware/spyware program called soundmixer.exe. If you have...
  5. Windows Command Prompt is not opening...

Windows Command Prompt is not opening...: So I was trying to open the command prompt and every time the command prompt opened for a short while and it closes by itself. I mean it just flashes for a moment and I can't see a thing. I created a new administrator account and tried to open it and it worked. But I can't...
  6. Command prompt not opening

Command prompt not opening: Hi, I recently installed a windows 10 update and noe cmd.exe does not work. I hvae tried many different methods to open it but all that happens is a small window flashes up ont he screen for a split second then dissapears. any ideas? s8on...
  7. Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...

Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...: Hi, I'm using windows 10. I have no idea why my command prompt is not launching properly and is instead opening up the default folder in File Explorer i.e. File Explorer is opening up in the command prompt default start up folder. Please help. FYI. I recently downloaded...
  8. Command Prompt Not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Not Opening: Recently attempting to open Command prompt, ordinary or as administrator, it flashes for perhaps 2 seconds and then disappears. I tried the following commands sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth But none of these seem to work, I'm wondering if there...
  9. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...
  10. Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10: How to: Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 How to Open a Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your...