Windows 10: Display language issues after installing 1809 update

Discus and support Display language issues after installing 1809 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello This is actually a solution to a common issue many people seem to have faced after installing 1809 update for Windows 10. If you have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChandimaUyanage, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Display language issues after installing 1809 update

Hello

This is actually a solution to a common issue many people seem to have faced after installing 1809 update for Windows 10.

If you have multiple languages installed and need to switch to a different display language, you might find it's not possible anymore after the update. You will be stuck with default language or sometimes kinda messed up situation where some of your items are in one language and some in another.

I faced the same problem and struggled my way through many forums and community support pages without finding a solution. Then I managed to get it resolved after meddling with the settings and things for a couple of hours.

Solution is simple.

• Go to Settings
    • Select Time & Language
    • Select Region & language
    • Click on the language you have issues with
    • Click remove
    • On the same settings page, somewhere below display language setting, you will see "add language" text in blue (with hyperlink). Click that and a new window opens with a list of languages. Select and install the language you wanted.
    • Wait for it to be downloaded
    • Make sure your language is selected in "Display language"
    • Sign off and sign in again

Worked for me like a charm!

Feel free to ask anything.

Cheers!

:)

ChandimaUyanage, Nov 12, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

add display language

Hello casale, *Smile

The steps in the tutorial below are updated for adding a display language in Windows 10. You will need to install the language pack of a language to have it available as a display language.

*Arrow Add a Language in Windows 10

Brink, Nov 12, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    I can not change display language

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to Change settings that may block installation

There are advanced language settings that may block the download of language packs. To revert these settings to their defaults values so that you can download language packs, follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel. To do this, type Control Panel in the
      Search box, and then tap or click Control Panel in the search results list.

• Tap or click Clock, Language and Region. (If you are viewing Control Panel in icon display, select
      Language, and then go to step 4.)

• Tap or click Language.

• Tap or click Advanced settings.

• Examine the Override for Windows display language and
      Override for default input method lists. Make sure that the
      Use language list (recommended)
      option is selected for both lists

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Nov 12, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Display language issues after installing 1809 update

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Display language issues after installing 1809 update

1. Display language issues after installing 1809 update - Similar Threads - Display language issues

2. Display language issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display language issue: Hello, despite being Italian, I like WIndows to be in English. Since I built a new PC for myself, I installed WIndows 11 trough a USB bootable media; despite selecting language, region etc. to English, some apps are in Italian like Microsoft Store. So, I'd like to know a fix...
  3. Display language issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display language issue: Hello, despite being Italian, I like WIndows to be in English. Since I built a new PC for myself, I installed WIndows 11 trough a USB bootable media; despite selecting language, region etc. to English, some apps are in Italian like Microsoft Store. So, I'd like to know a fix...
  4. Display language issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display language issue: I just bought a refurbished/second hand laptop that come installed with Windows 11 Pro in Japanese, after that i did all the step to change the display language, lang pack etc. It was working to some extent, but there is still parts of stuff that stays in Japanese for example...
  5. Display language issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display language issue: I just bought a refurbished/second hand laptop that come installed with Windows 11 Pro in Japanese, after that i did all the step to change the display language, lang pack etc. It was working to some extent, but there is still parts of stuff that stays in Japanese for example...
  6. After Windows update, display language changed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows update, display language changed: I want to have English as my display language. After Windows 10 update the display language changed to Slovak but I want to get back English. Help me to change it. I use Windows 10 Pro...
  7. Display Language problem after feature update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display Language problem after feature update: Hello. I'm facing the problem about display language. Before the feature update 1903, I can change the Windows 10 system display language from English (US) to Bahasa Indonesia entire the system. After the feature update 1903, The display language not changing entirely. Even...
  8. Lag issues after the 1809 update

Lag issues after the 1809 update: I recently purchased my new laptop. Specifications: i5 7th Gen 2.5GHz, 8GB ram, 2GB dedicated graphic memory, nvidia MX130. It came with pre-installed genuine windows 10 OS (and it was activated). It was running in the 1709 version of the windows 10. Most of the available...
  9. 1809 Update issues

1809 Update issues: Hello Microsoft and Community. i am experiencing a weird issue which i can't quite put my hands on. whenever i perform the 1809 update in an company environment. one specific user account on different computers(desktop or notebook) gets an black background instead of the...
  10. update issue in 1809

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    update issue in 1809: hi joydeep sir still today same issue cant do windows update in 1809 giving error message cant do windows update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-issue-in-1809/fc40ff57-eed1-4b4d-a65a-2838cbf679c8