Windows 10: dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour

Discus and support dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I am hoping to post a BSoD issue but the dm log collector executable is taking quite long. I see it should take a while, but just wondering if it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Uni, Feb 21, 2017.

1. UNI
    Uni Win User

dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour

Hi.
    I am hoping to post a BSoD issue but the dm log collector executable is taking quite long. I see it should take a while, but just wondering if it has stopped?

The green bar has been in the same position for at least an hour (see attached).

My original BSoD occurred 5 days ago, which I have partially fixed but their are remaining issues: the Office suite (365 Pro Plus), Acrobat Reader, Windows Defender and possibly more wont open. Also, getting error code 0x800b0100 after Start-up and 0x80070057 when trying to use Windows Troubleshoot.

Have attached a copy of Dump Files and an Event Log (via Reliability test).

:)

2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Feb 21, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour :(

oh gawd wat to do ? dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour :)

musum, Feb 21, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Kill it, then run it again but try right clicking on dm_log_collector.exe and select Run as Administrator. See if that allows it to finish.

Take about two minutes to run o n my system.

Ztruker, Feb 22, 2017
  5. UNI
    Uni Win User
    No luck. Been over 10 minutes now. I also tried Saving a copy of MSINFO32.txt from within Windows 10, but it hangs at the "Printing" stage again.

However, on Cancel, I get a further list, see pic.

6. Ztruker Win User
    Try running this from a Elevated Command Prompt:

msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"

Does that complete?
    How many printers do you have?
    Are they all connected and powerd on?

Ztruker, Feb 22, 2017
  7. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Same result, hanging up at Printing stage but returned to the command line prompt when Cancel was selected. The first method (after selecting Cancel) actually made a zip file on Desktop - maybe this will be enough?

My one printer has been off all day. It works over Wi-Fi.

8. UNI
    Uni Win User

I have attached the zip file, in case it is of any use. Thanks for your help, by the way.

Geoff.

9. Ztruker Win User
    Maybe turn the printer on? I don't see why it would matter but what the heck, worth a shot.

I don't see a new zip file.

Ztruker, Feb 22, 2017
  10. UNI
    Uni Win User
    I can see the zip file attached, dated 22-02-2017 225229.

Printer turned on. Will try again.

Update: Still hangs on Printing, with printer turned on. I may be offline for a few (8) hours.

11. Ztruker Win User
    Zip had everything but msinfo32.nfo so that's good. Last dump indicates a problem with iaStor.sys.
    Code: ffffe600`ee3f98b8 fffff800`21600418*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dump_iaStor.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dump_iaStor.sys dump_iaStor+0x418[/quote] The one installed is old: 13/04/2010 17:44:16 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\iaStor.sys.
    Driver Description: Intel Storage drivers
    Driver Update Site: Drivers & Software

I don't see anything newer, maybe you will have better look searching. The last one I found was for Windows 7 X64 and has the same date as what you already have installed.

Ztruker, Feb 22, 2017
  12. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Thanks Rich. Just back online now.

I had left my laptop in sleep mode for past 20 hours. I've just opened it up, and some unknown device is being installed, very slowly. I didn't expect this. Have you any idea what this device may be - I certainly didn't request it?

Would it be safer to stop it?

Geoff

Added: Do you know if I can stop the install, and check what was trying to be installed (e.g. failed installation, logged somewhere)?

Update: I closed it down, not knowing if it was a legitimate "device" install.

13. Ztruker Win User

I've never seen or heard of a illegitimate device driver install.

Sleep can cause problems with some device drivers so it's possible what you saw wan normal. Would have been nice to know what it thought it was installing.

What does Device Manager look like? Any yellow marks?

Ztruker, Feb 23, 2017
  14. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Another problem: I can access Control Panel but cannot get into View Devices and Printers - it hangs up with the hour-glass symbol and won't allow to be closed or minimised.

I'm losing patience with all these problems now. I have backed up all my necessary files.

Would a re-installation of Windows 10 solve the problems:
    • be able to run MS Office files (Excel, Word etc.)
    • fix any driver issues
    • fix the ox800..... errors
    • return the system to normal working order
    I have a Windows 10 ISO on USB (attached snip of file contents, total number of files & directories).

Thanks for help, again.
    Geoff

15. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Feb 24, 2017
Thema:

1. dm log collector.exe "generating msinfo report" taking an hour - Similar Threads - log collector exe

2. Lock Screen take an hour to log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen take an hour to log in: Ever since i upgrade to windows 11 my pc dosen't show de login form, i have to waite an hour to login, even after the notebook started, if i lock the pc i have wait an hour again, because the form dosen't show up.Any knows how to fix this? I'm desperate...
  3. Lock Screen take an hour to log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen take an hour to log in: Ever since i upgrade to windows 11 my pc dosen't show de login form, i have to waite an hour to login, even after the notebook started, if i lock the pc i have wait an hour again, because the form dosen't show up.Any knows how to fix this? I'm desperate...
  4. The V2 Log collector is triggering my antivirus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The V2 Log collector is triggering my antivirus: I'm using Bitdefender. It kept blocking the log collector when I ran it. Eventually, it found a .cab file in my temp files that it did not like, and quarantined it, describing the nature of the threat as "Atc4.Detection". Any thoughts? Update: Attached output of DM Log...
  5. BETA Log Collector is not working

BETA Log Collector is not working: I downloaded the files, extracted them and and tried to open the file log-collector.ink as explained in this post: BSOD - Posting Instructions but about 2 seconds after I opened the file it closes itself and I cant interact with it at all. how do i troubleshoot it? 129714
  6. Cannot run DM log Collector Tool

Cannot run DM log Collector Tool: Hi I have had a BSOD and want to run the DM Log Collector tool as instructed in the BSOD forum, so I can post on that forum, however when I try to run the tool I get this message "This app can't run on your PC. (see attached Picture) Any ideas what I am doing wrong....
  7. Just experienced PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - See attached DM Log Report

Just experienced PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - See attached DM Log Report: My computer has been crashing very frequently lately. This was the BSOD that I just saw before posting with the DM log report. I'm really struggling to complete work these days, so any help would be amazing! 51560
  8. How long for DM Log to collect data?

How long for DM Log to collect data?: How long does the DM logger take to run? I know it says "a while" but it's been going for more than 30 mins now. Over 30 *Redface 44564
  9. DM Log tool problem

DM Log tool problem: I have BSOD crashes every couple hours. It is not a heat issue. My screen either goes to the BSOD screen ot it just goes black and restarts. I have tried to run the dm log tool and when I do it results in two files on my desktop, one is temp.txt, the other is xxx zipIt.vbs. I...
  10. Log Collector Fails

Log Collector Fails: Hello! When I run the log collector and press a key when it says to, a command prompt appears but almost instantly disappears as a bunch of lines quickly flash by. After, there is a folder on my desktop called TF debug files but it is full of empty text files. A text file...