Windows 10: DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary

Discus and support DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I just installed Chrome on my laptop (which I'm now using) and a friend told me I needed to defrag and do a DNS flush by writing in cmd... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Fred22, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Fred22 Win User

DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary

I just installed Chrome on my laptop (which I'm now using) and a friend told me I needed to defrag and do a DNS flush by writing in cmd ipconfigflushdns. Defrag is already done, but his instructions were to go to the Windows tab and search bar at the bottom to type in this command. Defrag is already done, but I'm not sure what he means by the Windows tab and search bar is not at the bottom of Chrome. My question is this: is a DNS flush necessary and what does it do? He also said I needed to purchase software to do something to History. I'll have to reread his instructions, but hopd you know what he means. Thanks in advance.

:)

Fred22, Apr 29, 2017
  2. Ryan Fra Win User

DNS Flush necessary to connect to web sites

Hi Dean,

We would like to know more information to better assist you with this concern. Please answer the following questions:

• Do you also have to flushdns on other devices?
    • Are there any changes made with your network settings?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have performed?

For now, please check this link
    to set DHCP to automatic.

Looking forward to your reply.

Ryan Fra, Apr 29, 2017
  3. DeanHayes Win User
    DNS Flush necessary to connect to web sites

For the past few weeks I have had to continually flush my PC's DNS cache in order to connect to some websites. I normally use Chrome and thought it might be just that, but it happens in Firefox and IE as well. No one seems to be able to tell me what I
    can do to fix this annoyance.

DeanHayes, Apr 29, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

It is not necessary as long as you internet connections are working properly; however, I think he meant the following:

How to Flush DNS

5. sml156 Win User
    Windows will take care of your hard drive all on it's own, Weather it's a SSD or spinning hard drive.

Brink from TenForums has a tutorial on this subject
    Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    As for flushing your DNS it is unnecessary unless your having problems with your internet that in my experience hardly ever works unless your having problems with only one web site.

Brink has a tutorial on this too:
    Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    It was designed to make your frequently visited web sites load faster. I actually disable this service in Windows (DNS client) because I block a lot of sites with my HOSTS file.

Bottom line is:
    Is your friend smart -- I don't know
    Is it broke -- don't try to fix something that ain't broke
    It is broke -- come here to TenForums and ask how to fix it

I have been using computers for over 20 years and have found that the worst virus you will ever get is a friends advice.

sml156, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Since the flush dns seems to be addressed as well as defrag what are you trying to do with Chrome History?

If you want to delete the Chrome history, Chrome has settings to handle. Click on three dots, upper right, click on settings, click on Show advance settings, bottom of page, click on clear browsing data.

A window opens allowing you to determine what to delete and how much of it. Be aware that if you sign in to Chrome you can sync history across devices.

Was there something else you wanted to do with History?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 29, 2017
  7. Considering his suggestions and the new law, which allows ISP to sell your browsing data, I guess he tries to improve your privacy. To sum it up, you could use non-ISP DNS via dnscrypt (so DNS requests will be encrypted) and CCleaner (it cleans history and flushes DNS cache) and that is just for starters.

Top 10 Best Public DNS Servers & Fastest DNS Servers 2017

TairikuOkami, Apr 29, 2017
  8. Fred22 Win User

I don't really know, Ken but I did the DNS flush and I did the optimize routine, but I noticed that my PC is set to optimize on a weekly basis I believe. I'm leaving the history alone. As someone else responding to this post said, "I have been using computers for over 20 years and have found that the worst virus you will ever get is a friends advice." If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Fred22, Apr 29, 2017
  9. Fred22 Win User
    I agree. I Optimized, but noticed that my PC is set for regular optimization...leaving history alone. /as you said, If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Fred22, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DNS flush, what is it and is it necessary - Similar Threads - DNS flush necessary

2. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  3. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  4. Having to flush the dns to get good internet speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having to flush the dns to get good internet speed: Hello!I have a problem with the internet connection. I have an internet speed of around 35mb/s which is very low comparing with the speeds I was getting in the past. If I run the command "ipconfig /flushdns" and restart the computer the speed increases to 750mb/s. After some...
  5. cannot flush dns HP windows 10

cannot flush dns HP windows 10: have tried cmd prompt flushdns but displaydns still show a large filehave tried powershell alsohave stopped reboot/start reboot dnsclient with regedithave gone to each browser and cleared dns.cannot find any large file for dns on hard drivecannot find anything else to try.ALL...
  6. Shortcut to flush DNS Cache

Shortcut to flush DNS Cache: I am trying to create a shortcut to flush my DNS cache to avoid having to open the command prompt and enter the ipconfig command each time. I have seen two methods to supposedly do this. In the first method, I create a batch file with the ipconfig.exe /flushdns command, save...
  7. Flush DNS Cache

Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  8. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  9. how to let my standard account flush the DNS

how to let my standard account flush the DNS: I just had an internet connectivity problem after I had to reset my cable modem, and I did a quick "ipconfig /flushdns" while signed in as a standard user. It told me that the command required elevation. I could have sworn that I've used that command many times with my...
  10. Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10: How to: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 How to Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 [img] Information A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted...