Windows 10: Do I or do I not have Reserved Storage on my PC?

Discus and support Do I or do I not have Reserved Storage on my PC? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Although I have not yet received the May update for my small storage Tablet PC I have for a few weeks believed that Reserve Storage had already been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Clayto222, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Clayto222 Win User

Do I or do I not have Reserved Storage on my PC?

Although I have not yet received the May update for my small storage Tablet PC I have for a few weeks believed that Reserve Storage had already been installed, unannounced. This is because I suddenly lost about 7 BG of my limited free storage, leaving me with only about 3 GB ---- 7 plus 3 is the 10 GB I expected to have available. However, some issues I have been having with the 'clean files now' function of Storage Sense has led me to look for further information ---- and I am now starting to think I do not have the Reserve after all.

In Settings, clicking on System and Reserved does not show the Reserve, as articles describe. It only shows System files: 21.4 GB and Virtual Memory 4.74 GB. There is no Reserve.

If the Reserve has not been set up what happened when I suddenly lost 7 GB? It caused some major but temporary problems at the time --- another story. And what will happen when the Reserve is actually set up, given the even smaller free storage I now have?

The issues I have with Storage Sense are (1) after compressing C drive I gained only 2 GB, not the 10 GB 'offered' (and still shown) as available by compressing (2) cleaning Downloaded files which is shown as 'offering' a saving of 8 GB, has not worked (repeatedly) and still shows the 8 GB with no gain in free storage.

:)

Clayto222, Jun 25, 2019
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

Why some unaccesible space is reserved in a storage?

Much like qubit said, for powers of 2, yes. But lately you are seeing SSD's with 120GB or 240 GB capacity, etc. They are automatically reserving the extra space, so a 240GB SSD now has the same storage space as one listed as 256. They've just set aside 16GB for wear levelling, etc.

rtwjunkie, Jun 25, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Storage reserved for Windows Update

Starting from here:
    What’s New In Windows 10 Version 1903 May 2019 Update
    Reduce Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Find Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage in Windows 10

So you can see it can be disabled, and is not necessarily a fixed 7Gb. But of course we don't have the final release yet- that's expected in May.

Further, Brink has produced these:
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials

dalchina, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Do I or do I not have Reserved Storage on my PC?

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Do I or do I not have Reserved Storage on my PC?

1. Do I or do I not have Reserved Storage on my PC? - Similar Threads - Reserved Storage

2. the operation system System & Reserved take the storage so much on Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the operation system System & Reserved take the storage so much on Drive: Good day Microsoft How are you doing well, I have PC the windows operation system take so much storage on drive, that PC is using Windows 10, 22H2, I do not know why that pc take so much storage while others is not take so much storage as that pc. how much the operation...
  3. System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking: Every once in a while I go to my settings app and check my storage. Today when I went to check, my storage had jumped up to 210 GB after I had recently brought it down I don't remember the exact number. I only had 6.11 GB free. I went to check what was taking up so much...
  4. System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking: Every once in a while I go to my settings app and check my storage. Today when I went to check, my storage had jumped up to 210 GB after I had recently brought it down I don't remember the exact number. I only had 6.11 GB free. I went to check what was taking up so much...
  5. Windows 11 Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Reserved Storage: What are the cons of disabling Reserved Storage?In Settings, this feature says, "Windows reserves some storage to facilitate proper performance and successful updates of your device."Will disabling it through registry affect the updates somehow?I have a slight theory that it...
  6. Windows 11 Reserved Storage

Windows 11 Reserved Storage: What are the cons of disabling Reserved Storage?In Settings, this feature says, "Windows reserves some storage to facilitate proper performance and successful updates of your device."Will disabling it through registry affect the updates somehow?I have a slight theory that it...
  7. Reserved Storage bug after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reserved Storage bug after windows update: Hi,A little while ago, I had a windows update that failed. After this failed update, my pc did not boot anymore and after some digging, I found out that this was probably due to a 100% full drive I can boot it now but my Windows is screwed but I will be able to fix that....
  8. Reserved Storage bug after windows update

Reserved Storage bug after windows update: Hi,A little while ago, I had a windows update that failed. After this failed update, my pc did not boot anymore and after some digging, I found out that this was probably due to a 100% full drive I can boot it now but my Windows is screwed but I will be able to fix that....
  9. Reserved Storage bug after windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Can I reserve more storage for apps on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reserve more storage for apps on Windows 11?: I have 188 gigabytes for apps, 188 gigabytes for documents and 188 gigabytes for temporary files on my Windows 11 gaming laptop. I want more space reserved for apps and less reserved for documents and temporary files. Is there a way to configure this?...