Windows 10: Documents Folder disappears from D drive after moving

Discus and support Documents Folder disappears from D drive after moving in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit Problem: Moved Desktop, Documents & Pictures from %UserProfile% folder on C drive to new location on D drive. OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hogburgs, Jan 23, 2020.

1. hogburgs Win User

Documents Folder disappears from D drive after moving

Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit

Problem: Moved Desktop, Documents & Pictures from %UserProfile% folder on C drive to new location on D drive. OneDrive syncing was turned off. Operation success. The next day the same folders were missing from D drive, only present in OneDrive location.

Details: Good news is this is a brand new computer, clean install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (vr. 1909). I am doing this first thing, no data yet in any folders that were relocated to D drive.
    I actually moved ALL of the special folders in my C drive %UserProfile% folder folder to the D drive location, all but the OneDrive folder. The only folders that disappear from D drive are the ones synced by OneDrive.
    Bad news is that my first attempts failed because OneDrive syncing WAS NOT turned off.
    Referred to this thread for instruction:
    Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10

Once I realized my problem caused by OneDrive NOT turned off I referred to the following to resolve Windows Registry problem I created:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/...ils-in-windows
    Cannot restore Documents folder to Default Location of C Drive

After completing the registry workaround the missing folders were back in original C drive location.
    I then disabled OneDrive syncing, successfully relocated all folders, (except OneDrive), to desired location on D drive, they even had the original custom icons. Then I re-enabled OneDrive syncing.
    The next day the folders synced by OneDrive only appear in OneDrive folder on C drive, which is now the ONLY folder left in %UserProfile% folder.
    I probably DID NOT have OneDrive turned off during the registry fix.

Can I fix this?

- - - Updated - - -

Attached a currant snapshot of registry, User Shell Folders.
    This looks, complicated.

:)

hogburgs, Jan 23, 2020
  2. Sharlotte Win User

Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive

So i moved my documents, pictures, videos, and music folders from my ssd to my D drive.

This is the process i followed: right click folder, click properties, click the location tab, click move, select the D drive, click ok.

What I failed to do, was create a NEW folder within the D drive (labelled either documents, pictures, videos, etc) to move the folder too. I misread the instructions, and just assumed I was putting the folder INTO the D drive, and that the folder itself would be moved to the D drive, and that I didn't need to create a folder with the same name as the folder I was moving. I hope that makes sense!

Anyway, now I have 4 separate D drives listed in my PC menu. Pretty sure underneath it all this is messing stuff up. Any help would be appreciated. Pretty concerned at this point that this is a permanent error.

Sharlotte, Jan 23, 2020
  3. John Vil Win User
    Move documents from D drive into reinstalled program

Hi,

We recommend that you contact the program developer for instructions on how to move your files. They should be able to provide you a step-by-step guide on you can move your documents from the D:\ drive to their program.

Thank you.

John Vil, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Lis7 Win User

Outlook send/receive issue after moving pst files to Drive D

I need some advice, as this issue is driving me pretty crazy and the solutions I've found online so far don't seem to work or have negative downstream consequences.
    Win 10 (oem), v.1903
    Office 2019 Home and Business (oem)
    Internal Drive C: program files (but the oem install has the Documents folder on Drive C too for some reason)
    Internal Drive D: data files
    Background

1. After activating Outlook 2019, Windows automatically placed each pst file in C:\\Users\Username\Documents\Outlook Files\L: [email protected] Instead, I would like to store each Outlook pst file (have multiple email addresses/pst files) in a Documents folder (or some other folder) on Drive D.
    2. To move the original Documents folder from drive C to Drive D I closed Outlook, right-clicked the original Documents folder and used the Properties/Location tab to move it to a new Documents folder I had previously created on drive D. That step seemed to work correctly, and each pst file was now in the new Documents folder on Drive D.
    3. After the folder move, I launched Outlook and used the resulting "Outlook can't find" popup to specify a new file path for each pst file. However, while I can see each new file path in Outlook's Account Settings, it throws send and receive error messages (e.g.: "Sending reported error (0x8004010F): Outlook data file cannot be accessed") and won't send or receive for each account. This continues to happen after closing and reopening Outlook.
    4. I moved the Documents folder back to where it was on drive C. I tried this several times, using the Outlook error popup to try to remap each email account to the new Documents path on Drive D.
    Bottom line is that this Outlook send/receive issue is also preventing me from moving my Documents folder to the D drive where I want it, because when I move it, it messes up Outlook.
    Question

• After I move each pst file and specify the new file paths in the Outlook popup, how do I get Outlook to send/receive for those email accounts?
    Thank you in advance.

Thema:

1. Documents Folder disappears from D drive after moving - Similar Threads - Documents Folder disappears

2. Can't move Documents folder from C\users\username\Documents to any place in D drive. No...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move Documents folder from C\users\username\Documents to any place in D drive. No...: Hello,I wanted to move my documents folder to D drive as my C drive was filling up. I see Documents folder at 2 places -- 1in C:\users\username\Documents2 in the space above the drives in the This PC window in windows explorer, also in quick access in the left menu in windows...
  3. Can't move Documents folder from C\users\username\Documents to any place in D drive. No...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move Documents folder from C\users\username\Documents to any place in D drive. No...: Hello,I wanted to move my documents folder to D drive as my C drive was filling up. I see Documents folder at 2 places -- 1in C:\users\username\Documents2 in the space above the drives in the This PC window in windows explorer, also in quick access in the left menu in windows...
  4. Can't move Documents folder from C\users\username\Documents to any place in D drive. No...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  6. Moving Documents folder from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Documents folder from one drive to another: Hi,My Documents folder in located on D Drive right now but I would like to move it back onto C drive hard drive. What's the safest way to do it without losing files?...
  7. Moved Documents Folder to D: drive but didn't free up space

Moved Documents Folder to D: drive but didn't free up space: My C: drive is practically full and one of the things taking up a lot of space is my Sims game so I looked into moving that to the practically empty D: drive. In order to do that I needed to move the full documents folder, which I did by following this tutorial:...
  8. moving doc folder to D drive

moving doc folder to D drive: I'm signed in as an Administrator but when I open the properties in my C drive Documents folder there is no location tab. How do I get it to show up? Thank you......
  9. Pictures disappeared during 'move' from C to D drive

Pictures disappeared during 'move' from C to D drive: Hi, My C drive was almost full so I attempted to move pictures by dragging the Photo folder 39GB size of pictures maybe more than 6 thousand pictures and so I dragged the C:\pictures\photo to the D:\picturefoldername and in the process it moved only 11 pictures and the rest...
  10. How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?

How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?: My computer is a hybrid of 256GB SS drive C: and an HDD 1 TB drive D:. All the data files have been saved to the C: drive so far, but now I have used up almost all of the 256GB. There is nothing on the D: drive. I want to move my Document folders and files, and Picture...