Windows 10: Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

Discus and support Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by IsaacFL, Sep 21, 2017.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

How to: Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10

How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10

By default, Windows stores your personal Documents folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink").

You can change where files in this Documents folder are stored to another place on the hard drive, another drive, or another computer on the network.

This tutorial will show you how to move the default location of your Documents folder to where you want in Windows 10.

*Warning It is highly recommended to create a system image backup first to make it easy to undo if you were to make a mistake in the steps below.

Here's How:

1. If you currently have your Documents folder protected by OneDrive, then you will need to temporarily turn off OneDrive protection for this folder until after you move it.

2. If you haven't already, you will need to create a new folder named Documents at the location (ex: "E:" ) you want to move your personal Documents folder to. (see screenshot below)

Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E), right click on your Documents folder, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

*note If you don't see the Documents folder in This PC, then you can also click/tap on the icon in the address bar of File Explorer, type shellDocuments Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 :personal into the address bar, and press Enter to open your Documents folder no matter where it may be located.

You can then right click or press and hold on an empty area in your Documents folder, and click/tap on Properties.

4. Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Move button. (see screenshot below)

5. Browse to and select the Documents folder at the location (ex: "E:\Documents" ) from step 2, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location. (see screenshot below)

8. Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location (ex: "E:\Documents" ). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

IsaacFL, Sep 21, 2017
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Sep 21, 2017
  3. Windows 10 change default save locations

Check this link (and as needed its "Related Tutorials" section).

How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-docum...

Please let us know the results.

SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Isaac, *Smile

I would recommend to see what the permissions are set to for the original location and make note of them, then you could set them back if needed for the new location.

Brink, Sep 21, 2017
  5. AlanWade Win User
    I dont have a Location tab for Documents, Music Pictures etc. Is there a cure for this? I am running the latest build (17046).

AlanWade, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Alan, *Smile

Are you looking in the "This PC" folder for them?

Brink, Nov 29, 2017
  7. AlanWade Win User
    No, I click on Personal Folders to get to them, I wanted to move them to a different location but the 'Location' tab is not in the properties of the mentioned folders.

AlanWade, Nov 30, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open "This PC" to see if the folder is there at the top. If so, see if it may have the "Location" tab. If not, then you should be able to use what's in the blue note box under step 2 to find your "Documents" folder with the Location tab.

Brink, Nov 30, 2017
  9. AlanWade Win User
    Thank you very much Brink *Thumbs
    Following your last post did the trick.

AlanWade, Nov 30, 2017
  10. KabyBlue Win User
    @Brink

If the downloads folder was moved to an external drive. What happens when files are save when then external is disconnected from the PC?

KabyBlue, Dec 17, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kaby, *Smile

You would most likely get a location not found type error message.

Brink, Dec 17, 2017
  12. KabyBlue Win User
    I guessed as much. I was hoping it would default back to the Downloads folder on the PC similar to the Storage Spaces feature of Windows 10. Oh well...

KabyBlue, Dec 17, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

If you like, you could test and see since it won't hurt anything.

Brink, Dec 17, 2017
  14. KabyBlue Win User
    Will do... *Nerd

KabyBlue, Dec 17, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I look forward to hearing the results. *Smile

Brink, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Documents Folder Move

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. Windows 10 Document folder wrong location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Document folder wrong location: My Windows 10 This PC shows a different Documents folder than is used by everything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-document-folder-wrong-location/6589fe84-8eb7-43f4-83a6-ff98e303b00a
  5. Windows 10 Document folder wrong location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Document folder wrong location: My Windows 10 This PC shows a different Documents folder than is used by everything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-document-folder-wrong-location/6589fe84-8eb7-43f4-83a6-ff98e303b00a
  6. Windows 10 Document folder wrong location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I messed up moving Documents folder location to D:\

in Windows 10 Support
    I messed up moving Documents folder location to D:\: I messed up trying to move my Documents folder location to my D:\ data partition. I was following this tutorial, but not carefully enough: Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 I didn't create a new Documents folder on the D:\ partition first, as the tutorial says...
  8. Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved document folder location and now name is incorrect: Hi, I moved the location of my 'Documents' folder from the C drive to the root of my D drive in error. What I meant to do was move it to D:\Documents. I have managed to restore the original location back to the C drive, and clicking on Documents under the user heading...
  9. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...
  10. Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders: So currently when I go into "This PC" I have 6 icons at the top : Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos. As I'm running my OS off a 120gb SSD I typically store my documents/photos/videos etc on another drive, in this case my D drive. If I right click >...