Windows 10: Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)'

Discus and support Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)' in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I think I accidentally agreed to have OneDrive in my laptop when setting up my laptop. When I realized my 'Documents' folder is under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joe Teddy, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Joe Teddy Win User

Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)'

Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)' 1b7ef2f1-938e-49f9-bfbe-dea9fb6924f9?upload=true.png

I think I accidentally agreed to have OneDrive in my laptop when setting up my laptop. When I realized my 'Documents' folder is under OneDrive instead of 'Users\name', I uninstalled OneDrive through control panel. I thought it will undo all the mess and return it to default, but it did not. So I tried manually change the location through the property but it keeps showing the error message above. Has any of you experienced this and solved it? I'm open to suggestions that may be helpful. Please help!

Originally the location is C:\Users\jtedd\OneDrive\Documents

I changed to C:\Users\jtedd\Documents

:)

Joe Teddy, Mar 19, 2019
  2. Eric-Kell Win User

Duplicate User folder.

I moved my default Pictures, Documents, Music folders to a new Data partition (D).

My Users/myName folder remained on the C partition.

Everything was fine for 2 years.

For some reason this myName folder is now duplicated on the D partition (D\myName)

I have now a default documents folder in

• D\Documents
    • D\myName\Documents
    • Onedrive\Documents
    • C\Users\myName\Documents
    The same with the other system folders.

I can not change the location of the folders in the 2 duplicate user folders.

Rightclicking in properties, there is no location option.

Only the folders in OneDrive and the D partition have this option.

Any ideas?

Eric-Kell, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Onedrive move folder to document

Hi Rendell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to move the folder?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if that helps.

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.

Hope the information helps. Please reply back with a status so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)'

Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

THANK YOU so much for this post. I registered for a forum account just to say thanks. I've been struggling with a similar issue all morning on my Surface Book. My Documents and Pictures folder under my user were stuck as onedrive folders and I could not get them un-linked. The batch files in the article you wrote and linked to worked perfectly!! Thank you!! Utterly disgraceful that OneDrive does not have a way to easily and obviously detach itself from your folders.

shirokuro73, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)'

1. Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)' - Similar Threads - Documents folder stuck

2. are C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\myname\Documents the same location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    are C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\myname\Documents the same location?: are C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\myname\Documents the same?why or why not? New Windows 11 PC and I'm completely confused by OneDrive .. can't find anything I save a second time .. I think i'm creating two copies of everything.can I just delete it OneDrive...
  3. are C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\myname\Documents the same location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    are C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\myname\Documents the same location?: are C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\myname\Documents the same?why or why not? New Windows 11 PC and I'm completely confused by OneDrive .. can't find anything I save a second time .. I think i'm creating two copies of everything.can I just delete it OneDrive...
  4. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  5. Onedrive Documents folder moved

Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  6. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive: I activated OneDrive to add my university's OneDrive folder to File Explorer. In doing so, my primary user folders Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. were moved there as well. In attempting to reverse this all returned excluding the Documents folder, persisting in its...
  7. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive: I activated OneDrive to add my university's OneDrive folder to File Explorer. In doing so, my primary user folders Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. were moved there as well. In attempting to reverse this all returned excluding the Documents folder, persisting in its...
  8. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  9. Users folder showing TWO OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Users folder showing TWO OneDrive folders: My c:\Users\<Username> folder is showing TWO OneDrive folders. [img] firstly, how can two entries of exactly the same name exist in a single folder? Now, how to handle this? Though, I don't have to manually access any of these, as I have a separate folder at...
  10. Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Folder Stuck in OneDrive: Hi everybody, Hopefully someone can help with this annoying issue. At some point shortly after installation I changed the Location of my Documents folder, so it may reside within the OneDrive user folder. Shortly thereafter I released this was not what I wanted, given...