Windows 10: Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?

Discus and support Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, all: 1) Does setting Windows Updates to "notify for download and notify for install" via GP edit also disable Device Driver automatic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?

Hi, all:

1) Does setting Windows Updates to "notify for download and notify for install" via GP edit also disable Device Driver automatic installation?
    2) Or does disabling automatic device driver installation need to be configured separately?
    3) If the latter (separate setting), is it advisable to do so, despite the ominous warning from M$ that "your device may not work as expected"?

I followed Brink's characteristically excellent tutorial for GP edit here: Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 to "notify for download and notify for install" (Thanks for that!).

So my questions center on whether doing so will also prevent automatic device driver installation, or whether I need to and/or should configure that setting separately?

M$'s ominous warning seems to be strongly discouraging users from disabling automatic device driver updates and "realistic icons"(*Rolleyes).
    For my OEM XP, Vista and 7 systems, I have always gotten drivers -- WHEN NEEDED -- from the OEM, not via Windows Update, as the OEMs historically have done a better job than M$ in offering the needed drivers for their computers.

Is that still true under Win10?
    Assuming that disabling automatic Windows Updates does NOT also disable automatic device driver updates, should I disable automatic device driver installation on this OEM Win10 box?

TIA,

MM

:)

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Disabling Automatic Updates

How do I prevent windows from automatically updating when I plug my laptop in? These updates restart the computer which has caused me to lose several hours of photoshop work. My laptop never turns off overnight after these updates, which wastes power and
    wears out the components. Why is this a default feature? Is there a way to disable the automatic updates? The only option that I see available is to set a block of time to allow windows to update the system. I want to be notified before these updates occur,
    and I don't want to be forced to update unless I allow it to occur.

TonyKnoblauch, Jul 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?

Hello MM, *Smile

That will stop drivers from automatically being installed in Windows Update, but won't stop drivers from being available in Windows Update.

If you don't want drivers to be available in Windows Update, then you can disable this using the tutorial below. If disabled, you'll have to manually update (download and install) your drivers from the manufacturer.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/enable-or-disable-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10.8598/

The first tutorial below you posted will turn on/off automatic installation of drivers for devices. However, I would recommend to also disable automatic updates in the second tutorial below to be safe.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  5. Ah! I missed that tutorial for the GP edits to DRIVER UPDATES in WINDOWS UPDATES.
    I will do that.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I suppose there is no harm in notifying me of their availability, as long as they are not installed automatically or without my permission.

So, is it advisable to disable this "device driver" setting, despite M$'s warning not to disable it?
    That is the crux of my question, I suppose.*Confused
    I am confused by the overlap or lack thereof between the two settings: "Driver Updates in Windows Updates" and "Device Drive Automatic Installation".

Yep, I think already did that for "Windows Updates" -- it is set to "notify for download and notify for install" (Option 2 in the GP edit drop-down menu). And the Windows Updates window shows the change. Thanks!

Sorry for all the questions -- loss of end-user control over updates has been one of the sticking points for me for Win10.
    But, I don't want to "break" needed functionality or cripple my system under this fundamentally new OS by going overboard with efforts to regain a semblance of control.

Thanks again!
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016
  6. Update.

Darn, I hit a snag trying to turn off Driver Updates in Windows Update via GP edit.

See screen shot showing that there is no such option on this system (Win10/Pro 1511 Build 10586.494).

What am I missing?
    Is the setting in the tutorial to "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" only available for Insider Preview and unavailable on the OS build I am running?

Thanks,

MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The driver update policy is only available starting with build 14328, but will be included in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on Aug. 2nd.

Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  8. Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?

Ah, OK, I had a feeling that might be the case. Sorry for missing that critical detail. Bit of a learning curve for me with all this Win10 stuff.*Sad

So, now I am back to my original question/confusion re: Device Driver Automatic Installation - disable it or not????
    The MS warning about disabling it -- "your device may not work as expected" -- is a bit off-putting.

It seems to at least partially overlap with "Driver Updates via Windows Update", or perhaps I just do not understand this particular feature. If so, then I guess that disabling the Driver Update policy after the Aug 2 upgrade should accomplish what I want.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not want to cripple my new system in a fruitless, if well-intentioned, quest to wrest a bit of control from Redmond.

Thanks again,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The new policy will stop drivers from being available in Windows Update.

Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  10. Sweet.

Unless someone else weighs in with a compelling reason to disable that device setting, I guess I will wait for Redstone and leave that device setting for "Device Driver Automatic Installation" enabled by default for now.

I may never fully understand the difference between that setting and strikingly similar group policy, but I will chock that up to my ignorance of OS programming.*Smile

Thank you, @Brink.
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?

1. Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver? - Similar Threads - Does disabling automatic

2. Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated: G'day,When I select 'update driver' in device manager and select automatically search for update, it instantly says 'The best drivers for your device are already installed'. Notice the word instantly. It does not feel like Windows is actually searching for appropriate...
  3. Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated: G'day,When I select 'update driver' in device manager and select automatically search for update, it instantly says 'The best drivers for your device are already installed'. Notice the word instantly. It does not feel like Windows is actually searching for appropriate...
  4. Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Disable the automatic updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable the automatic updates: Hi How do I disable the automatic updates completely on every edition of Windows 10 20H2? Thanks Bye 170059
  6. Update drivers automatically in device manager?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update drivers automatically in device manager?: Hey all, is there any way for me to check everything with just some clicks for drivers, instead of going through every single thing in device manager? submitted by /u/FHRNHTx [link] [comments]...
  7. On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for...: I've had a completely fine running Windows 10 on two PCs, but after the May 2019 1903 Update and using Disk Cleanup and removing the previous Windows installation (not sure if disk cleanup caused anything or has anything to do with this, just speculating and it's the only...
  8. Disable automatics updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable automatics updates: How to disable automatic updates in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatics-updates/d6484564-a7b1-4fd7-bd15-520dd58072cf
  9. Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update: Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. I have been using my PC manufacturers Synaptics touch-pad driver for years without issue, it is from 2015. The other day Windows 10 automatically updated to some 2017 Synpatics driver. I lost the ability to scroll up or down...
  10. Disable Automatic Updates

Disable Automatic Updates: Right now, after installing Windows 10, I only have the option to Automatically Install Updates or Notify to Schedule Restart. This is a problem, I want to be able to choose what drivers I install. I don't want windows automatically installing all the craptastic 3rd party...