Windows 10: Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere?

Discus and support Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've used EMET quite a bit in the past. I recently started using the Fall Creators Update "Exploit Protection" feature. I have the settings as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by meh, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MEH
    meh Win User

Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere?

I've used EMET quite a bit in the past. I recently started using the Fall Creators Update "Exploit Protection" feature. I have the settings as aggressive as possible, and I'm not changing them. This post is not asking what Exploit Protection settings I should use. The settings in place are not a big problem, but they do require me to configure program exclusions as needed, because certain programs require certain exploit protection functions to be disabled in order to run.

With EMET, every time a process was terminated due to running afoul of its protection settings, a log entry would be written, and it was possible to check Event Viewer and clearly see why EMET killed the process. But with Exploit Protection, I can't find any such log entry, even under Windows Defender's logs.

Do such log entries get written at all? If so, where are they?

:)

2. Controlled folder access notification only partly readable

Controlled folder access events are logged in the Windows Defender Operational log, with Event ID 1123 used to log a blocked access event:

Right-click on the Start button and select Event Viewer.

Then navigate to Applications and Services >
    Microsoft
    > Windows > Windows Defender >
    Operational

Filter this log for: 1123 (integer only)

And then, optionally, Save Filter to Custom View.

If whitelisting your friendly apps is proving difficult, you can put
    Controlled folder access
    in an Audit Mode where it will continue to monitor access to your document folders, but won’t block unrecognized apps. Run this line at the elevated PowerShell prompt to set the Audit Mode:

Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess AuditMode

Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere? [​IMG]

Audited access events are logged with Event ID 1124:

Help prevent ransomware and threats from encrypting and changing files

Have a look at this Windows IT Pro Center document for further information:

Add additional folders and apps to be protected by Windows 10

GreginMich, Oct 31, 2017
  3. GreginMich, Oct 31, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

AndreTen, Nov 3, 2017
  5. MEH
    meh Win User
    You would think so, but those logs don't seem to capture the Exploit Protection events I'm interested in. I just changed an EP setting to purposely make it crash an application, and there's no log entry of it anywhere that I can see. I have about a billion instances of "chrome.exe was blocked from making system calls to Win32k.sys" in Security-Mitigations, though.

Thank you for the reply nonetheless. I will keep looking.

6. AndreTen Win User
    One thing I've just noticed.. If you downloaded their xml files to make custom filters, file for exploit protection events is bogus.. it's a copy of network protection events.

Create rule manually, like the code on the site: list-of-all-windows-defender-exploit-guard-events

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Windows Defender Exploit Protection log anywhere? - Similar Threads - Does Defender Exploit

2. how to clean the Historical Protected record of the “Windows Defender Exploit...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to clean the Historical Protected record of the “Windows Defender Exploit...: how to clean the Historical Protected record of the “Windows Defender Exploit Guard-Controlled Folder Access”“” I couldn't find a button to delete the history, so I wanted to ask which folder the history is stored in, or which location in the registry I once DELETED...
  3. Exploit protection windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exploit protection windows 10: There are four programs with system overrides enabled. ExtExport.exe, ie4uinit.exe, ieinstall.exe and ielowutil.exe. "Force randomization for images Mandatory ASLR" All four have override checked and are set to on. All the system settings are set at default. Web searches......
  4. Exploit protection settings

Exploit protection settings: 1. I do not understand the "System settings" options under EXPLOIT PROTECTION in Windows Defender set up section. What does "Use default on vs. "On by default mean? What is the safest? 2, What is SEHOP? What is "heap integrity" What is "High-entropy ASLR...
  5. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  6. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  7. What programs do you protect with Windows Defender Exploit protection?

What programs do you protect with Windows Defender Exploit protection?: Interested to hear what others have decided on... 107443
  8. Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem: Hi guys, For some strange reason my System settings tab is not there in my Exploit Protection settings, only Program settings is visible. Any suggestions on what is happening? 106098
  9. Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Security app. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...
  10. Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Defender Security Center. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. exploit guard logs

2. blocked from making system calls to Win32k.sys.

3. werfault win32k

4. werfault exploit protection blocked win32k.sys,
  5. system logs exploit info,
  6. exploit guard auditing logs sccm,
  7. audit mode for sccm windows defender exploit guard,
  8. sccm windows defender exploit guard in audit mode where are the logs,
  9. windows 10 migitation xml,
  10. defender custom log filter,
  11. windows defender exploit guard logs,
  12. Exploit Guard blocked from making system calls to Win32k.sys,
  13. windows defender exploit eventid,
  14. does defender have log files,