Windows 10: Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 How to Export and Import Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

How to: Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

How to Export and Import Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

Starting with Windows Defender Security Center.

Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device against attacks. Out of the box, your device is already set up with the protection settings that work best for most people.

Exploit protection is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard. Exploit protection helps protect devices from malware that use exploits to spread and infect. It consists of a number of mitigations that can be applied at either the operating system level, or at the individual app level.

You configure these settings using the Windows Defender Security Center on an individual machine, and then export the configuration as an XML file as a backup and that you can deploy to other machines. When you export the settings, all settings for both app-level and system-level mitigations are saved. This means you don't need to export a file from both the System settings and Program settings sections - either section will export all settings.

For more information, see also:
    This tutorial will show you how to export (backup) and import (restore) your Windows Defender Exploit protection settings in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to export and import Exploit protection settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Export Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows Defender Security Center
    • Option Two: Export Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in PowerShell
    • Option Three: Import Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Export Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows Defender Security Center
    1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on the App & browser control icon. (see screenshot below)

Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on the Exploit protection settings link at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

3. Make any changes you want to the Windows Defender Exploit settings.

4. Click/tap on the Export settings link at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

5. Navigate to where you want to save the XML file to, type a File name you want for the XML file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close the Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Export Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in PowerShell
    1. Make any changes you want to the Windows Defender Exploit settings.

2. Open an elevated PowerShell.

3. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-ProcessMitigation -RegistryConfigFilePath "$env:UserProfile\Desktop\ExploitProtectionSettings.xml

4. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

5. You can now move the ExploitProtectionSettings.xml file exported on your desktop to where you like to keep it saved at.

OPTION THREE [/i] Import Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Set-ProcessMitigation -PolicyFilePath "Full path of XML file"

*note Substitute Full path of XML file in the command above with the actual full path of the XML file that you exported using Option One or Option Two above.

For example: Set-ProcessMitigation -PolicyFilePath "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\ExploitProtectionSettings.xml"

3. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 25, 2015

2. Bug? In Windows Defender Exploit Guard.

If we assume that this is just a glitch, then you might be able to reset the Exploit protection defaults by exporting the settings from an unaffected PC (with default settings) and then importing those settings on the affected machines. This looks
    to be the backup/restore tool for the Exploit protection settings:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ard/import-export-exploit-protection-emet-xml

GreginMich, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Exploit Protection Settings

The Exploit Protection settings are preconfigured; and home users should generally just leave them alone:

The Use default configuration for each of the mitigation settings indicates our recommendation for a base level of protection for everyday usage for home users. Enterprise deployments should consider the protection required for
    their individual needs and may need to modify configuration away from the defaults.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...er-exploit-guard/customize-exploit-protection

Apply mitigations to help prevent attacks through vulnerabilities

The preconfigured applications have been optimized by Microsoft – and adding customizations for other apps requires both a rationale and an understanding of the potential consequences, since haphazardly changing the default settings for an app can
    easily render it dysfunctional.

It’s ironic that these application mitigations are exposed in the Windows Defender Security Center interface, while the safe and simple Windows Defender configuration options are only available via the PowerShell Set-MpPreference command line:

Set-MpPreference (defender)

The Set-MpPreference cmdlet now also includes the parameters for Attack Surface Reduction and Block at First Sight:

Windows Defender Detection rate

GreginMich, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

Exploit Protection Settings

Open Windows Defender Security Center and click on
    App & browser control
    and there find Exploit protection settings
    and you could change settings for Exploit protection from there.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Bree Win User
    Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

@roy111, the screenshots in Brink's tutorial show all the Exploit protection settings in English, that should help you navigate the "Italian" ones...
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

This lists all the settings and describes what each one does.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...oit-protection

6. Exploit Protection Settings

How or where can I find a clear explanation/description of the correct at least what the default settings are for my Windows Defender Exploit Protection. I do not know enough to know what is wrong but something is not right. If I had a guide/roadmap
    of how the settings should be correctly configured for protecting my home computer it would be a great help.

TragicallyMisunderstood, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Export and Import Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Export Import Exploit

2. exploit protection settings and smartscreen off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exploit protection settings and smartscreen off: Hello,Today i checked my windows security and it said that almost every expoit protection setting was off, while i did not turn them off. It also says that smartscreeen is disabled and i cant turn it back on and it says that its managed by my administrator.Does anyone know...
  3. exploit protection settings and smartscreen off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exploit protection settings and smartscreen off: Hello,Today i checked my windows security and it said that almost every expoit protection setting was off, while i did not turn them off. It also says that smartscreeen is disabled and i cant turn it back on and it says that its managed by my administrator.Does anyone know...
  4. exploit protection settings and smartscreen off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Exploit Protect/System Settings

Exploit Protect/System Settings: Hey there!I just have a simple question to ask, nothing too technical.I was just wondering for the sake of knowledge and education,what is the difference between, "Use default On" vs "On by default" in the exploit protection settings?If you can explain, can you do so in...
  6. Windows Security Exploit Protection settings

Windows Security Exploit Protection settings: Dear all In Windows Security > App- and browser control > Exploit Protection > Program settings There is a list of .exe files and you can add more prorgrams 1. What are those .exe files on the list? What does this list do? 2. Under some of the .exe files, it says "1 detention...
  7. exploit protection prgram settings

exploit protection prgram settings: what would the default for exploit protection prgram settings look like? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/exploit-protection-prgram-settings/e1a72e2b-5556-4831-b4e8-4263db95898a
  8. Exploit protection windows 10

Exploit protection windows 10: There are four programs with system overrides enabled. ExtExport.exe, ie4uinit.exe, ieinstall.exe and ielowutil.exe. "Force randomization for images Mandatory ASLR" All four have override checked and are set to on. All the system settings are set at default. Web searches......
  9. Exploit protection settings

Exploit protection settings: 1. I do not understand the "System settings" options under EXPLOIT PROTECTION in Windows Defender set up section. What does "Use default on vs. "On by default mean? What is the safest? 2, What is SEHOP? What is "heap integrity" What is "High-entropy ASLR...
  10. Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Windows Defender Exploit Protection Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows Defender Security Center. Exploit protection is built into Windows 10 to help protect your device...