Windows 10: Done with testing -- Not yet fit for prime time

Discus and support Done with testing -- Not yet fit for prime time in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I've tested this now almost every which way -- both as a VM and on a Real machine (several in fact). It's a Good OS but I have 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Done with testing -- Not yet fit for prime time

Hi there

I've tested this now almost every which way -- both as a VM and on a Real machine (several in fact).

It's a Good OS but I have 4 Showstoppers and a BIG niggle before I can use this as a main OS. (Note I use a decent LAN with servers so as a single Home machine the problems might not seem too problematical).

1) Network sharing across machines -- mega problems with Linux -- I can READ LINUX from Windows but I can't get SAMBA shares to work properly from the LINUX servers. Ping works fine but gives a totally different address (59.x....) from the LAN address (192.X etc) whether I use Bridged or NAT working on a VM or even as a real machine --probably something with DNS or IP translations. IPV6 or IPV4 makes no difference. I'm not enough of a Network guy to bother spending a huge amount of time on this -- if I can't make it work even after about a days work of research (and I've been quite busy too on the W10 Forum --thanks to all who replied to posts) then I'll wait until nearer an RC.

2) Media servers won't connect at all -- I use these a lot so no good here. I need the ANDROID phones to be able to connect to the media servers. Windows Server not working properly.

3) Touch doesn't work properly so I can't really use Touch devices.

4) Language packs for my language are not yet available -- (that's also a sort of "niggle" rather than a mega problem though).

(Another partial niggle which I'm sure will be addressed before RC (Release Candidate) is that the start menu's text can't be enlarged - but at least full marks to Ms for bringing it back). I'm glad custom toolbars still work though.

The BIG niggle is the whole issue with the Ms account -- convert your user to an Ms account either intentionally or by accident then you have a whole lot of issues with LAN's and user accounts. You can of course avoid this issue by not creating an MS account in the first place - but if you DO create one and want to revert later --it's bad news.

For a SINGLE HOME machine Ms have done a great job and I KNOW it's alpha or pre-beta software - but the whole Networking mess needs to be worked on big time before it's "Lan Friendly" especially with a mix of Windows and Non-Windows devices in the network.

So Thanks everybody again for replies.

I'll keep the odd VM around for occasional testing as problems get sorted - but currently for me not ready for prime time yet.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014

2. Hello ! I have computer AG wortman with windows 10 with Whea uncorectable error impossible to correct whith various post solution on microsoft answer

Let us try doing a Stress test if that finds something?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime...

or if you have done Prime95 please let me know the results.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 4, 2014
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 4, 2014
  4. Nuccii Win User

Wow! Microsoft offer you a job yet, might as well get paid for what you've done so far. *Wink

Nuccii, Oct 4, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Even at work when the I.T guys have done their stuff they say give it to me --He can always Break it or find probs that others haven't been able to test !!!

The OS is fine for a lot of people -- on the whole they've done a good job (this is what W8 should have been originally) and some of the networking issues might not concern the average home user.

I've only posted that I don't think it's particularly Network friendly yet for people with a load of machines with mixed OS'es (including Linux boxes) on them, Touch isn't really implemented yet (but that's a given as Ms wanted this version to appeal particularly to desktop users which on the whole it does) and the dogs dinner of a mess you can get into with the whole Ms account thing.

For the rest it works just fine - compatibility for standard applications and hardware seems OK too -- just some corporate back end software such as SAP accesses via SAPGUI haven't been tried by me yet --I'll get round to that later if I can sort out some of the network issues.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 5, 2014
  6. CountMike New Member
    It's not exactly ready for a primary OS for single users either, on a bit higher level than just basic use. With a bit of fiddling it could be made almost indistinguishable from 8.1
    Still have to go thru a lot of testing but I have run in many roadblocks, not working SW and virtual drivers being worst part. I know it's very early yet but given similarity with 8/8.1 I expected more of compliance. Looking overall, it should be somewhere between Win8 Beta and RC stage where Win8 used to be. Right now, it looks like between Alpha and Beta stage with substantial parts promised for W 10 entirely missing.

CountMike, Oct 5, 2014
  7. Watching a video that someone posted today I do remember that the spokes person stated that W-10 was the first time
    Microsoft has made a release this early in developing a new system.

So I quite sure it's not even close for prime time and I don't expect it to be.
    Because it a basic enterprise I quite sure as one can be from the outside that Microsoft is working on networking with many
    different kinds of environments.
    I think they are headed in the proper direction; that being giving all kinds of users options. They started a little early in development stages letting us peons have a peak. I like the early peaking but I don't expect greatness in these early stages.
    Options is basically what most of us have been asking for sense W-8.

Layback Bear, Oct 7, 2014
  8. Stephanie Win User

Keeping in mind this is a technical preview and many changes may be incorporated in its final build I think Microsoft are doing quite well and I'm looking forward to coming changes *Smile

Stephanie, Oct 7, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User
    I think the main issue there is mixing windows and non-windows platforms. Yeah, it may be working flawless before but there's always no guarantee that it will remain that way with the latest windows releases. You can just simply say that Win 10 is not 100% compatible with your Linux server the way it is not compatible with other stuffs like avast or amd drivers, etc.
    As for network sharing, I don't have issues so far because I am using Qnap NAS programmed to communicate with windows, apple and linux devices. You can't really rely on something that is on preview version.

badrobot, Oct 7, 2014
  10. One glitch I've found with networking is I can't log into my D-Link Router's web based setup menu. I get a certificate error screen with no "connect anyway" option. All I can do is close the page. I get the same message in Windows 8.1 but I can just click connect anyway. In Windows 7 I can log in with no error message. *Confused

alphanumeric, Nov 13, 2014
  11. On my D-LinkRouter I found that when I clicked save settings to save and quit, if I didn't hit Alt-F4 quickly I was hosed. I'm just curious if you ran into that also?

MilesAhead, Nov 17, 2014
  12. On my D-LinkRouter I found that when I clicked save settings to save and quit, if I didn't hit Alt-F4 quickly I was hosed. I'm just curious if you ran into that also? I didn't have that issue. I've ditched Windows 10 on my laptop and gone back to 8.1 Pro. I've also replaced the D-Link router with an ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band. The D-Link was locking up and becoming unresponsive. I've had it for a long time.

alphanumeric, Nov 17, 2014
  13. Rickkins Win User

Oh I hear ya.

Just freakin once I'd like to see a hassle free install. It just seems to suck the life outta you. It's not fun anymore.

Rickkins, Nov 17, 2014
  14. davehc Win User
    I had an urge to express my observations, so far, on the latest OS from Microsoft. This is strictly my own opinion. Other users are free to disagree or pass comment.

After a lot of trial and error, and investigation, I am drawn back to my initial comment of some time ago, that this is, truthfully, the suddenly cancelled Windows 8, upgrade 2, or services pack 1 - what's in a name.

Many entries in the registry and the GPs, point, even now, to 8.1 or windows 8. System files in the Windows folder, in many cases, have the same size as in the previous OS. This appears to back my suspicion.

That out of the way, all I see in Windows so-called 10, are some add-ons, which could easily, possibly without my non programming knowledge, have been added to Windows 8.1.

I would like to see more posts on performance comparison, in all its aspects. I am not an intensive and demanding game player, but I have read opposing reports that this is much better, about the same, ore even a little inferior. From my own point of view, I am mainly what could be described as an Office user. I am afraid, in this case, I cannot really see any performance improvements which could lead me to recommend the cost of upgrading. Frankly, I do not see a future in attempts to improve the speed of software packages. That future will only lie with hardware improvement - not Microsoft's path.

The posts today seem to be mainly composed of 1. Navigational issues, many of which have existed since Windows 8, or 2. Discussion on the very few extras, or, 3, A little mention of an improved start up speed. This last point is one which, since Windows 7, many agree is not really such a bug issue, as it is not a function which is in constant daily use.

The overwhelming posts are, of course, focussed wrongly on the inclusion of a start menu and the change in access to the "Metro" start. By the time the Windows 10 tech release was available, most users had found ways to deal with these two items, and are now reasonably happy with their adaptions.

Having got that out of the way, I must say that this is not an uncommon phenomena with Windows OS updates.

Vista, rightly or wrongly, was condemned outright. It was, for many, to big a leap into the unknown, with new navigational and usage options. Again, by the time Windows 7 was sent out for testing, the average users were beginning to be familiar with the new approach to the OS. Windows 7 dealt with many of the objections to Vista, and, as a result, Windows 7 was received favourably by the public.

Then came Windows 8! Another leap into the dark with the introduction of the ";Metro screen and , strangely called, "Charms" bar. Microsoft, to their loss, made little mention of how easily the OS could be quickly customised to make it look and operate , in an identical manner, to Windows 7.

So, here we are again, with another relatively minor update, planted as a new OS.

Whenever I express the views stated above, on forums, the common response is that this is still in Beta stage, and it is too early to judge. Fair comment. But I do not see any area for progress from what is already on the table.

davehc, Nov 18, 2014
  15. CountMike New Member
    "Quantum Leaps" are pretty rare in this IT business when it comes to OS, I wasn't expecting any "earthquake" from Win 9 at first and not even when they called it Windows 10. There's just so much that can be changed in an OS and to be able to maintain full or even so-so compatibility with to less extent HW and much larger extent with SW. I mean, software compatibility, there's only few ways to change whole OS and to keep older SW compatible. It's either emulation or complete, extra OS subsystem, all of which would make an awfully complicated and clumsy OS worth many GB.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Done with testing -- Not yet fit for prime time - Similar Threads - Done testing yet

2. The best Windows yet? Let's Test It!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The best Windows yet? Let's Test It!!!: The best Windows yetWhen there’s a lot to do, let Windows 11 help you get it done. If Windows is so Great? Then why does everyone who has it Complains about it, & everyone else doesn't want it? If Windows 11 is the Best yet? Then why is there soooo much Hate against it? If...
  3. The best Windows yet? Let's Test It!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The best Windows yet? Let's Test It!!!: The best Windows yetWhen there’s a lot to do, let Windows 11 help you get it done. If Windows is so Great? Then why does everyone who has it Complains about it, & everyone else doesn't want it? If Windows 11 is the Best yet? Then why is there soooo much Hate against it? If...
  4. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.: I have recently started experiencing really slow download speeds on every screen when I am using Microsoft Edge,Trying "windows repair" instructions there was a software download called Restoro, that told me I had lots of errors on everything, especially Miscrosoft Edge. But...
  5. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.: I have recently started experiencing really slow download speeds on every screen when I am using Microsoft Edge,Trying "windows repair" instructions there was a software download called Restoro, that told me I had lots of errors on everything, especially Miscrosoft Edge. But...
  6. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Estimated time for chkdsk to done

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Estimated time for chkdsk to done: Hi. I want to ask, how long for chkdsk to done? I have maybe 528 GB on my C drive main disk. And i want to know estimated time for drives that have 1-5 TB of storage....
  8. Optane Memory Ready For Prime Time?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optane Memory Ready For Prime Time?: I just ordered a HP computer. One of the features is Optane memory. After I placed the order I got to thinking I have never run across this tech before. Started looking over these forums and found very little info. One of the things I looked for was if Macrium Reflect was...
  9. VM running Windows 10 mobile --anybody done it yet

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM running Windows 10 mobile --anybody done it yet: Hi there Anybody got a VM running Windows Mobile yet. You can get various VM images running Android but I wonder if it's possible to do Windows 10 Mobile - on a touch laptop or tablet would probably be OK. Vmware latest release of both player and workstation support touch...
  10. anyone done this on windows 10 yet

anyone done this on windows 10 yet: hi anyone installed this yet or tried it on windows 10 ​How to run the native Ubuntu desktop on Windows 10 | ZDNet 71963