Windows 10: Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

Discus and support Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10freak, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account.

Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard User account.

What would be the best method for doing this WITHOUT signing out from my current Admin account and then having to logon with my other Admin account which I created? This would be a waste of time signing out and then signing on to other accounts in order for me to downgrade myself to a Standard Account.

Can I do this through Computer Management by selecting my current Admin account and just removing the Administrators Group and then only adding the Users group?

It seems that performing this from Computer Management / Local Users and Groups offers more granular options all at once as opposed to doing this from the Windows 10 control panel.

What are your thoughts please on this?

Thanks!

:)

win10freak, Apr 2, 2018

2. I have disabled all my user accounts, now i cannot go back to admin niether enable them back

Original Title: User accounts

I have disabled all my avvounts (even local & system administrator) and only kept an STANDARD account,and logged out from local admin(from where i disabled all admin) then i logged into standard user, but now i cannot go back to admin niether enable them
    back, i have important apps and data in thart local admin. Please help me to enable admin through standard account in windows 10. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account? :( .

Thank you

Adarsha S M, Apr 2, 2018
  3. Windows 10 UAC Error: The extended attributes are inconsistent

Not sure if this is a good data point or not, however, when I change the standard user account to an admin account from the main admin account, I don't experience this issue. It only seems to happen for all the local users.

Joshua

JoshuaKoelle, Apr 2, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

Brink, Apr 2, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Please don't do this without first setting up another, different admin account. It's important to make sure you can always take admin control over a Windows install. If your current admin account is the only account on the system, you'll definitely want to do this first.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 2, 2018
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "This would be a waste of time signing out and then signing on to other accounts in order for me to downgrade myself to a Standard Account."

imho; This would not be, if only to make sure that an only admin acct is not accidentally deleted. How much time is involved restarting anyway ?

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
  7. I am so sorry, maybe I was not clear enough on this. Please see below on the way I had these accounts setup.

1. Performed a clean install with setting up a local Admin account during the installation process.

2. Once after booting up to desktop the first time, I created another local Admin account that I would only use for Admin tasks.

3. Then, right now, with still being logged on using the Admin account that I created during the install process, I went to Manage User Accounts and then I managed to make myself a Standard User without even having to logout out and logging on to the other Admin account. But yes, I had to just Sign Out for the changes to take effect, but never had to sign-in using the other Admin account.

So right after installation, I did the following:

USER-1 with Admin account (created during initial Windows install setup)
    USER-2 was created when everything was installed and setup from using my USER-1 Admin account.

Then finally, USER-1 was downgraded to a Standard User account without having to even sign-in to USER-2.
    Just had to Sign-Out for the changes to take effect.

win10freak, Apr 2, 2018
  8. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

I know better not to make my current Admin account as a Standard User without first creating another Admin account.

Right before I managed to set my current Admin account to a Standard User, I had another Admin account created before doing so.

Hope this is clear.

Many thanks!

win10freak, Apr 3, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Good job, thanks for clarifying. Having shot myself in that same foot years ago, I was hoping to steer you clear of that potential gotcha. Very glad you made your way around it independently. Good work.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 3, 2018
  10. The quickest way is changing to user account in Accounts settings.
    Go to Settings > Accounts > Change account type > Standard User Account.
    Hope it can help you without signning out and then signning in.

rickchristine, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

1. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account? - Similar Threads - Downgrading local Admin

2. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  3. UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin: In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to install that software that requires both Admin rights AND internet access with the same account. My work-around for this has been...
  4. Reset Admin password on a standard user account??

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Admin password on a standard user account??: I bought a refurbished computer for my employer. It had a ADMIN account set up with no pass word associated with the account so I created one. I might have had a error in my pass word because I can no longer log into that account. I did create another account that I was...
  5. user local and admin accounts missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user local and admin accounts missing: Since a about a week my local user account and my admin account are gone. With it, the documents, pictures and downloads directories are nearly empty, only the most recent documents are listed. Luckily I save most of my documents on other drives but I would like to find my...
  6. Downgrade from admin account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downgrade from admin account?: I got my PC and set everything up on the admin account which contains my sign ins generally. So that’s not so safe and I need to be working on a restricted account. Is it possible to downgrade my current and my... put a new admin overtop? submitted by /u/Oriondaniel...
  7. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts: I have TEN Windows 10 Pro computers on a peer to peer network no domain. Each computer has 2 LOCAL non Microsoft accounts - 1 Admin and 1 standard user non-admin. Is it possible to set a password policy where the policy can be set against ONLY the LOCAL standard user...
  8. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  9. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Local Admin Account vs standard Account: i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP...
  10. Standard Local user Account issue

Standard Local user Account issue: Since upgrading within Windows 10, I've since noticed that I am unable to access my additional user accounts. My main account is fine and have no issue. When I go to log in to additional user account, i click sign in (no password set up for either of my additional...