Windows 10: Change Account Type in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Account Type in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Account Type in Windows 10 How to Change Account Type of Users in Windows 10 [img] Information When you set up Windows, you were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ezerextat, Sep 29, 2015.

1. ezerextat Win User

Change Account Type in Windows 10

How to: Change Account Type in Windows 10

How to Change Account Type of Users in Windows 10

Change Account Type in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you set up Windows, you were required to create a user account. This account is an administrator account that allows you to set up your PC and install any apps that you would like to use. When you add an account on your PC in Windows, it will be a standard user account by default.

This tutorial will show you how to change the account type of users to be either a guest, standard user, or administrator in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change a user's account type.

Note Guest - No longer valid in Windows 10. Guest accounts were good to allow people temporary use of your PC. A guest account is not able to install apps, hardware, change settings, and can only be a How to Add a Guest Account in Windows 10

Standard User - Standard user accounts are good for everyday usage, and can be a UAC prompt for the password of an administrator for approval. If UAC is set to "Never notify", then a standard user will automatically just be denied the elevated action.

Administrator - Administrator accounts have complete access to the PC and can make any desired changes. Administrators can be a UAC prompt for the administrator to confirm (Yes or No) or enter their password first.

Warning You need to always keep at least one administrator account enabled on the PC to be able to sign in to for performing any action in Windows that require administrator (elevated) rights.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change a User's Account Type in Settings app
    • Option Two: To Change a User's Account Type in Control Panel
    • Option Three: To Change a User's Account Type in netplwiz
    • Option Four: To Change a User's Account Type in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change a User's Account Type in Settings app
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Family & other users on the left side, click/tap on an account (ex: Brink-Test) under Other users or Your family you want to change the type of, and click/tap on Change account type. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the account type you want to change the account to, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change a User's Account Type in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4. Click/tap on the account (ex: Brink-Test} that you would like to change the type of. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Change the account type link. (see screenshot below)

6. Select (dot) the account type you want to change the account to, and click/tap on Change Account Type. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close the Control Panel if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change a User's Account Type in netplwiz
    1. Type netplwiz in the search box (Windows+S) on Start or taskbar, and press Enter to open advanced User Accounts.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box, select the user name (ex: Brink-Test) of the account that you want to change the type of, and click/tap on the Properties button. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (dot) the account type you want to change the account to, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. If you had set Windows to automatically sign in to an account at startup, then you will need to set it again.

6. You can now close the netplwiz if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change a User's Account Type in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step 3 (see current type), step 4 (guest), step 5 (standard user), step 6 (administrator), or step 7 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

3. To See Current Account Type of Users
    A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the commands below one at a time for each account type, and press Enter after each one. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow net localgroup guests

*Arrow net localgroup users

*Arrow net localgroup administrators

B) Do step 4 (guest), step 5 (standard user), step 6 (administrator), or step 7 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Change User's Account Type to Guest
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net localgroup guests "UserName" /add

Note Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name (ex: Brink-Test) from step 3.

For example: net localgroup guests "Brink-Test" /add

B) Go to step 7 below, and remove the user from being a standard user and administrator account type.

5. To Change User's Account Type to Standard User
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net localgroup users "UserName" /add

Note Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name (ex: Brink-Test) from step 3.

For example: net localgroup users "Brink-Test" /add

B) Go to step 7 below, and remove the user from being a guest and administrator account type.

6. To Change User's Account Type to Administrator
    *Arrow net localgroup administrators "UserName" /add

For example: net localgroup administrators "Brink-Test" /add

B) Go to step 7 below, and remove the user from being a guest and standard user account type.

7. To Remove User from an Account Type
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the commands below one at a time for only the account types you want to remove the user from, and press Enter after each one.
    *Arrow net localgroup guests "UserName" /delete

*Arrow net localgroup users "UserName" /delete

*Arrow net localgroup administrators "UserName" /delete

For example:

net localgroup guests "Brink-Test" /delete

net localgroup users "Brink-Test" /delete

net localgroup administrators "Brink-Test" /delete

B) When finished, go to step 8 below.
    8. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ezerextat, Sep 29, 2015
  2. KenSt Win User

changing account type

I am trying to change my standard account to a Administrator account in windows 10. Anyone know how?

KenSt, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Change type of account

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check.

1. Begin by right-clicking
    the Start Icon of Windows.

2. Then click Control Panel

3. Then under User Accounts and Family Safety, click
    Change Account Type

4. Then choose the account you wish to change, and double-click it.

5. Then click on Change Account Type

6. Then choose the Account Type you want the user to be, you can choose between Standard and Administrator.

7. Click on Change Account Type

The account has now been changed to the account type you choose, if the user was logged in, he has to sign-out and sign-in again for the changes to take effect.

Note:

The account has now been changed to the account type you choose, if the user was logged in, he has to sign-out and sign-in again for the changes to take effect.

Post back if you need further assistance, We will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ezerextat, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you are able to sign in to this other administrator account, you could fix your account from it.

Brink, Sep 29, 2015
  5. ezerextat Win User
    Thanks a lot

I know of that account from this

But as U can see, i can't use the system32 cmd, so i can't make changes from there.

All the help i got from the internet:
    -start with something like "You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial." *Smile *cry
    -Tried taking control of C: but the pop up "user account Control" right keeps coming and I can't click the Yes button.
    -No way to do this apart from reinstalling the system (is that even possible without an administrative account...even with a USB recovery drive?)
    -Going to a store where they will use some magic tools to work around

Is there other ways to use the default administration account? ... or other solutions to the original problem?

Thks.

ezerextat, Sep 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 29, 2015
  7. ezerextat Win User
    Thkx again

I will first have to make a recovery drive then try the tutorial.
    I will post the result then to the thread

ezerextat, Oct 1, 2015
  8. ezerextat Win User

Managed to get my computer back but I had to reinstall the system.

First I tried to enable the built in admin account but it still did not show up at the login screen. Then I used regedit to check the values as instructed, the value was already 10, but the account still didn't show up.
    Then while trying to set up another admin account using the cmd I ended up with a black screen (windows wont boot)
    So I instead reinstalled windows 8.
    (if u have x/windows/sytem32, type c: and it switches to c:> )

I think where are some problems with how the windows 10 account staffs are presented to the user. Just changing a user name shouldn't end up with someone (who doesn't know a lot about computers) loosing total control on their own system.
    I think It should not allow (ensure that) the only account on the system not having administration capabilities. At least for people who doesn't know a lot about computers.

I still think windows 10 is Ok. I will switch back to it soon enough. Just have to put up some precautions. We learn from experience.

Thanks again for your help.

ezerextat, Oct 4, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for posting back with your results.

Yeah, it would be nice if Windows would prevent users from being able to cripple their only admin account.

Brink, Oct 4, 2015
  10. Milad Win User
    i'm the only user of my computer and i was the administrator.
    then i did something wrong in "netplwiz" and now my account has changed to "guest". so i can't enter the UAC and the "yes" option is disable for me.
    also at the windows sign in screen now there are two account with my name that i can use both with my password but i'm not the admin anyway.
    i don't know what should i do!!!

Milad, Jan 11, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Milad, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

See if you may be able to use OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable the built-in Administrator account. If successful, sign in to the built-in Administrator afterwards to undo what you did in netplwiz. It sounds like you need to make your account an administrator type again, and remove it from the guest group.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option4

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  12. Very nice writeup. If only it worked for me. I've been trying to change an administrator type of a user to make it a standard user and nothing tried will work. I'm logged in as another administrator type account while trying to do this. It actually looks like it changes to standard, but go back in and the user is definitely still an administrator and shows administrator in the description. Any idea what I'm missing? I ran DISM cleanup and sfc /scannnow and all is well and was well. Everything is working great, however, I don't want this user to be an Administrator. Any ideas? Thanks.

wildncrazyguy, May 30, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 30, 2016
  14. ]
    Looks ok to me. User in question is Fairview Station 2 and I'm using Admin to make the changes. Not sure what to look for. They all look the same.

UserAccountDetails.txt

wildncrazyguy, Jun 1, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Change Account Type in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Account Type

2. Can't change account type in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't change account type in windows 10: Hi all,My laptop forces me to change the login password about every month and when I try to change my account type to admin it doesn't allow me to continue.Does anyone now how can I change my account to admin? I think in my previous work place they have restricted my account...
  3. Can't change account type in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change account type in windows 10: Hi all,My laptop forces me to change the login password about every month and when I try to change my account type to admin it doesn't allow me to continue.Does anyone now how can I change my account to admin? I think in my previous work place they have restricted my account...
  4. Can't change account type in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change Account Type is greyed out in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Change Account Type is greyed out in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you cannot change your User Account type and see the Change Account Type button greyed out in Windows 11/10, this guide will help you fix it. There are different types of accounts on Windows. They are Admin, Standard, Work, School, Child, Guest accounts. Each...
  6. Change Account Type on Windows PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Account Type on Windows PC: I have a PC at home for which I want to be signed in on my work account. Originally, that account had both a personal and work account aspect tied to the same email address, but to streamline things, I closed the personal part of that account.The problem is that I am now...
  7. Account Type changing issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Account Type changing issue: I want to change my account to Standard type but the option is disabled . What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-type-changing-issue/26782d3d-2cc3-4a00-b1de-f6cab082c27b
  8. Account Type Change Problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Type Change Problem: [IMG]Hello to All; I have newly purchased HP Spectre x360. I have two accounts and type of both account is "Standard account" mistakenly. When I try to change one of them to "Administrator account", It's unable to change. I have put the picture of the problem also. Kindly...
  9. To change the user account type

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    To change the user account type: when I tried to change the user [ATTACH]account type it wont allowing me to change it. And when iam deleting the files in one user account and it will be also[ATTACH]deleted in another administrator account also....
  10. change account type to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    change account type to local account: Why change account type to local account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-account-type-to-local-account/da9d0232-02dc-4c00-a93f-785072c885f3"