Windows 10: Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Discus and support Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, nice to be on board. I have a home built machine (specs entered when creating this account). I had a Dual boot system working like a dream,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PatDee, Aug 16, 2017.

1. PatDee Win User

Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Hi All, nice to be on board.
    I have a home built machine (specs entered when creating this account). I had a Dual boot system working like a dream, Win 10 Pro installed first (through upgrade a few months back) and then I created a separate partition and successfully installed Win 7 Pro (this was done for legacy reasons as win 10 didn't have driver support for my external M-Audio Delta1010 sound card.)
    However I had to do a full reset of Win 10 and since then, when I boot my machine, Win 7 is no longer an option to boot from, it's missing the machine boots straight to Win 10. The partition and win 7 is still there, but the option to boot to win 7 is missing at startup.

Any Idea on how to get it back?

Thanks in advance.

:)

PatDee, Aug 16, 2017

2. Dual Boot Elimination

Hi,

I have a dual boot setup at this time, Partition #1 WIN 7 PRO, Partition #2 WIN 10 PRO "Activated" this was my TP beta partition, it was upgraded by MS. Is this WIN 10 PRO the same OS that I am being offered on partition #1 to replace WIN 7 PRO?

Now that the TP has ended I would like to do a WIN 10 PRO clean install and remove one of the Partitions to eliminate the Dual boot system. Should I do the upgrade to WIN 7 PRO then delete Partition #2 with the already activated WIN 10 PRO or could this
    be a problem in the making ?

Thank You for the Help...Jim

James Horvath, Aug 16, 2017
  3. Dual Boot Elimination

Also will my Win 7 OEM Media be voided?

James Horvath, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

wipe both partitions and make sure you install 7 first. always install the older so first.

xXWhackerXx, Aug 16, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    No way. Total overkill after the event.

OP - boot into windows 10, and see what drive is the windows 7 OS partition.

Then from an admin command prompt, type

BCDBOOT X:\WINDOWS /ADDLAST

where X is the drive letter for Windows 7 OS partition.

If you want the windows 10 dual boot menu GUI, easiest way is to install easybcd and select edit boot menu options, and set as below,setting timer as you wish

Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro [​IMG]

cereberus, Aug 16, 2017
  6. it's not overkill. you should always install the oldest os first. i do strongly suggest the op correct his install order.

xXWhackerXx, Aug 16, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm with @cereberus, your suggestion is absolutely not necessary.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Of course it is total overkill. Sure, it is advisable to install older one first, then new one BUT NOT ESSENTIAL with windows 7 onwards.

After the event, it is easy enough to fix things as I show - Takes 15 mins max including downloading and installing easybcd.

Do not give such overkill advice unless you actually know what you are talking about and the ramifications of not following that advice, which is basically only a few minutes of effort needed.

cereberus, Aug 16, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    And the only thing gained by any extra effort is a pretty graphical boot menu.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
  11. PatDee Win User
    cereberus you were bang on bcdedit did it, very simple and effective. Back where I need to be in 15 minutes. A Pint of the Black Stuff (Guinness) for you, in case you don't know what that is. Thanks for your help Whacker.

So one happy camper here. Case Closed. Thanks cereberus

PatDee, Aug 16, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    I certainly know what LIffey Water is. Been to Erin many times.

Three rules of marriage:
    1) never marry redhead - they have a fiery temper
    2) never marry an Irish Lady - they have a fiery temper
    3) and under no circumstance, marry an Irish red-head (Guess what I did - LOL)!

Regarding Liffey Water

There are only two things that should be added to Liffey Water:
    1) More Liffey Water
    2) Champagne (50% by volume) - aka Black Velvet - Pure but seriously dangerous Nectar)!

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Pro

2. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  3. win 7 pro win 10 pro

win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac
  4. Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: I'll be receiving a new computer with Win 10 Pro as my computer w/ Windows 7 Pro crashed. I'd like to take the hard drive with Windows 7 Pro and install it into the new one to have dual booting. Any problem doing that and what steps are needed? Thank you....
  5. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  6. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  7. Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question

Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question: Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question I plan to dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro in a singular HDD. I have at the moment in an WD 1 TB HDD 2 partitions with Win 10 Pro partition (partition 1 - version 1511 and partition 2 - version 1703 -still on...
  8. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  9. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  10. dual boot win 10 ent with win 10 pro

dual boot win 10 ent with win 10 pro: I have the win 10 enterprise preview edition but want to end up with the pro version. Can these 2 be installed at the same time? 7262

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win seven boot pro