Windows 10: Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Legacy F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 By... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by nissimezra, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Legacy F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

By default, you can boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10.

The Advanced Boot Options screen is the old black screen at boot like in Windows 7 and previous Windows. Advanced Boot Options lets you start Windows in advanced troubleshooting modes like Advanced Startup Options. However, you access the Advanced Boot Options screen by turning on your computer and keep tapping the F8 key before Windows starts.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the legacy F8 Advanced Boot Options screen at boot in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable the F8 Advanced Boot Options screen.

*note If you have Fast Boot enabled in your UEFI firmware settings, then you will not be able to boot the Advanced Boot Options screen since you will not have time to press F8 before Windows starts.

*note If you dual boot Windows 10 with another Windows and have enabled Advanced Boot Options, then you will always see the Windows Boot Manager screen below first at boot.

Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options using displaybootmenu Command
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options using bootmenupolicy Command
    EXAMPLE: Advanced Startup Options (default)

EXAMPLE: F8 "Advanced Boot Options" or "Startup Settings" screen

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options using displaybootmenu Command
    1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Do step 3 (enable) or step 4 (disable) for what you want to do.

3. To Enable F8 Advanced Boot Options screen in Windows 10
    A) Type the command below in the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

4. To Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options screen in Windows 10
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Type the command below in the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

5. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options using bootmenupolicy Command

*note If you multi boot operating systems, then this option is handy to be able to specify which OS you want to enable or disable F8 Advanced Boot Options for.
    1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Type bcdedit in the command prompt, and press Enter.

3. Under the top Windows Boot Manager section, look to the right of default, and make note of what it has as the identifier (ex: "{current}"). This is for your default OS. (see screenshot below)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) for what you want to do.

5. To Enable F8 Advanced Boot Options screen in Windows 10
    A) Type the command below in the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 7. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow bcdedit /set {identifier} bootmenupolicy Legacy

*note Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: {current}) from step 3 for your default OS.

For example: bcdedit /set {current} bootmenupolicy Legacy

6. To Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options screen in Windows 10
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Type the command below in the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 7. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow bcdedit /set {identifier} bootmenupolicy Standard

*note Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: {current}) from step 3 for your default OS.

For example: bcdedit /set {current} bootmenupolicy Standard

7. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

nissimezra, Feb 15, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 15, 2016
  3. suat.cini Win User
    How can I get out of the windows 10 Recovery?

Please read this < internet document >to resolve the issue you are experiencing.

Hope it helps.

suat.cini, Feb 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

I'm glad it could help nissmezra. *Smile

Brink, Feb 15, 2016
  5. Stephanie Win User
    Thank you Shawn, Your Tutorials are always spot on *Cool

Stephanie, Feb 21, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Stephanie. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Feb 21, 2016
  7. It's my first post here so hello to everyone *Wink Thank you for this tutorial. Default timeout is set to 30 seconds so it's always good to change it to less than that.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

*Wink
    Operating System to Run at Startup - Choose Default in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

-edit-
    Please, forgive me. I'm reading all threads in Tutorial section and I haven't seen this topic before I wrote my post

Operating Systems Time to Display at Startup - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I don't want to double posts/threads so you can delete my post or just point to that topic I've mentioned above *Wink

Threepwood, Feb 28, 2016
  8. Starkman Win User

Thanks, but something doesn't seem right here.
    Under Option 2, step 3, you state, "Under the top Windows Boot Manager section, look to the right of default, and make note of what it has as the identifier (ex: "{current}"). This is for your default OS. (see screenshot below)"

However, it is not under the Windows Boot Manager category where {current} is found; it's under the Windows Boot Loader category. Am I correct here?

Thanks,

Starkman, Jun 21, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Starkman, *Smile

"Default" under "Windows Boot Manager" is what shows the current default OS identifier that would be listed under a "Windows Boot Loader" section.

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  10. Starkman Win User
    Okay, I'm still confused here, but I do see now "default" under the Windows Boot Manager section (missed that one, didn't I!) and it has {current} to its right.

At step 3, however, I'm not sure what the right-side image (with "at boot" in red) is for. If that is "at boot," when (and what) is the image to the left of it? I can see that the image on the left is dealing with partition C: and the image to the right ("at boot") is dealing with partition D: .

Finally, if the default OS shows {current}, what would the other OS show there?

Thanks

Starkman, Jun 21, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The screenshots under step 3 are for what you will see in Windows 10 (left screenshot) or at boot (right screenshot) while doing this. They're there to help compare the two since it will show differently at boot than in Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other OS" though. Look at "identifier" under one of your "Windows Boot Loader" sections to see which one is "{Current}". The "description" under that same "Windows Boot Loader" section for will let you know which OS it's for.

If you like, post your bcdedit here, and I'll be happy to go over it with you. *Smile

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  12. Starkman Win User
    Well, I'm not dual booted yet, but I will be putting Linux Mint on soon, so I'll come back. Thanks very much!

Starkman, Jun 21, 2016
  13. Piminy Win User

Thanks Shawn for this useful tutorial *Smile After following it - and importantly, also enabling Windows 10's "Fast Start-Up" via Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings ("Choose what the power buttons do") - I am now able to boot straight into Windows 10 without having to make a menu selection - as long as I'm doing so after a Shut Down, rather than a Restart.

I found that even after following the instructions here, if I have Fast Start-Up disabled, I still get the menu each time. Is this normal?

But - whenever I choose Restart instead of Shut Down, I'm still presented with the full Advanced Boot Options menu, as per the third image in this tutorial, the 'DOS'-looking one. Is this normal behaviour after a Restart? It doesn't worry me, but I'm wondering if it's supposed to happen.

It's slightly annoying that the default option is "Repair Your Computer" rather than "Start Windows Normally", since to continue the boot process I then need to press Up Arrow and then Enter, rather than just Enter.

Piminy, Aug 6, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @Piminy, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

For me in Windows 10 build 16257, I always see the "Windows Boot Manager" screen (1st image) no matter if "Fast Startup" is turned on or off.

When I press F8, I see the "Startup Settings" screen.

What Windows 10 build do you currently have installed?

Brink, Aug 6, 2017
  15. Piminy Win User
    Thanks, I'm running version 1607, build 14393.1480
    Some extended info if helpful, Build 14393.rs1_release.170706-2004
    It's 64-bit Home edition.

A bit of extra info too, though it may not be relevant - With Fast Start-Up disabled, I do see the blue/white Startup Settings screen (fourth image in the tute) once only, after having followed the instructions in this tute. On subsequent boots it's replaced by the black/white Advanced Boot Options version (third image). Then, if I re-apply the changes per the tute, I get the Startup Settings screen, but again, only the first time.

Piminy, Aug 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Advanced

2. Windows Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Advanced Boot Options: For the past couple of days, I have been trying fix this problem and couldn't find a solution. The problem is that whenever I make changes on my desktop whether I move apps, delete apps. It always goes back to it's previous place after I restart Windows and I decided to...
  3. Windows not booting into advanced startup options

Windows not booting into advanced startup options: when I try to boot my system, windows is stuck in an infinite boot loop. After 3 startup errors windows should boot into advanced startup options, but it does not. -Spamming f11 doesn’t work -Resetting motherboard battery doesn’t work -After windows does its “Preparing...
  4. What are Boot Advanced Options in MSCONFIG in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    What are Boot Advanced Options in MSCONFIG in Windows 10?: [ATTACH]MSConfig or System Configuration Utility is an inbuilt tool in Windows that allows you to manage startup items, boot options, Services & boot in Safe Mode, etc. Under […] This article What are Boot Advanced Options in MSCONFIG in Windows 10? first appeared on...
  5. Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot: How can I turn on this function, again? I have tried the following: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy and bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes as per online searches. But, I get the following message: >>The set command specified is not valid. >>Run...
  6. Advance Start up > Advanced options password disable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advance Start up > Advanced options password disable: I was looking at an article on how one can reset a windows password if you've forgotten it by going into Advanced Startup Press the shift key + restart to boot to Advanced Startup Select Troubleshoot Select Advance Options Select Command prompt And then running some...
  7. Why Microsoft has disabled the F8 option in Windows 10 for Safe Mode ??

Why Microsoft has disabled the F8 option in Windows 10 for Safe Mode ??: Hi, Why in Windows 10 Microsoft has disabled the F8 option for going to safe Mode when booting, as it was in Windows 7, XP, etc. ?? The options in Settings or by msconfig for Safe Mode are useless when the Windows 10 can't load because of some problem....
  8. Advance boot options empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Advance boot options empty: I installed Windows 10 Education edition via USB(not an upgrade). Whenever I try to go into the advanced boot menu by holding shift and clicking on restart, the only option I am given is "Turn off your PC". I have formatted and reflashed my computer with an latest windows iso...
  9. Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows How to Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. This tutorial will show you how to...
  10. Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10: How to: Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 How to Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Advanced startup enables you to perform these actions: Start recovery (aka: Windows RE or WinRE), troubleshooting, and diagnostic tools. Boot from a disk (ex:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable advanced startup option menu windows 10 bcdedit