Windows 10: Dual loading Win 10 and Win Update continually breaking my system...

Discus and support Dual loading Win 10 and Win Update continually breaking my system... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have been in the Win10 insider program since the start. I never had any major problems until recently. I was running the latest normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smactilactus, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Dual loading Win 10 and Win Update continually breaking my system...

Hey guys,
    I have been in the Win10 insider program since the start. I never had any major problems until recently. I was running the latest normal Windows on one partition, and the latest insider preview on the other when an update screwed up my insider partition, and refused to allow me to update at all. Then shortly after that, my reg partition got an update and screwed it up as well.
    What was happening was every time I would restart my computer, it would bring me back to the login window like normal, but when I logged in I would only get a black screen with no start menu or taskbar. I could use the task manager to do a bunch of things like normal, but still no start or task menu. I could get into my other partitions by right clicking on a process and clicking containing folder. Then once I was there, I could get to this pc, control panel or most other places. But even when I tried to reload Explorer.exe nothing would happen. I could also boot into safe mode, but could not find the problem. So I just loaded backups to get going again. \
    Finally I got tired to doing that, so I started from scratch and made two new system partitions from scratch and started anew. Recently I got the insider partition updated to 16067 I think it was, but several things didn't want to work correctly. Even so, it was working for the most part so I decided to be patient with it. Then I tried to update my other partition to see if I would get the same errors, as I knew I had the backups to rely on if necessary. The reg partition downloaded the newer windows from windows update, but every time I tried to restart to finish, it would restart twice, then on the last restart the screen went completely black with no activity from the hdd. I waited it out one day, and still nothing. So I restarted it again, and it reverted back to the version I was already using before the update. I have tried this three times now, with the same results. I even downloaded the latest iso on M$'s site,15061 or something, and tried to load that, but I got the same results on the restarts. I have tried the trouble shooters, and several other posted fixes online. But it will not complete the restarts after loading a new windows.
    So, my insider partition is completely down right now, and my reg partition is running 14393 right now, and refuses to update to the next insider version of windows. It will download the next version, but will not install it completely. It always finds an error, and reverts back to the last version I was using. Now I could load my backup onto that other partition, but I feel that is a waste of time right now. I was hoping someone on here would be knowledgeable enough to help me out with another idea? Or help me find an iso of 16176 to try on the other partition? Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

smactilactus, Apr 19, 2017

2. How do I get my Win 10 dual menu back?

After having to restore my system because of a WiFi driver defect, my Win 10 works fine except that it is using the Win 8 menu. There is a file which was loaded with the restore named "Win 8 Menu". How do I get my Win 10 dual menu back?

ThomasPullen, Apr 19, 2017
  3. background upgrading stopped at 68%

How do you stop the Windows 10 Update or force it to continue without breaking anything? It says it copied all my files from win 8 to win 10, it is on 6% for features and drivers. The internet never went out.

Andrew_120, Apr 19, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Dual loading Win 10 and Win Update continually breaking my system...

Hi and welcome to Tenforums.
    It's probably best to run the Insider on a VM; avoids these problems.
    I don't dual-boot Insider, but I know of someone on the forum here who does, and can perhaps give you some guidance. @Wynona, any ideas?

simrick, Apr 19, 2017
  5. Thanks for your reply. I have been dual booting since the early days, and it has rarely been a problem. But all of the sudden it seems that the updates are poison.

smactilactus, Apr 20, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Yeah, seems to me you may be running into this problem more frequently with Insider, from what I've seen on the forums.

simrick, Apr 21, 2017
  7. Wynona Win User
    Hi, Smactilactus:

I've been running a dual boot system the same as yours since the get-go too. However, I've never run into anything like you describe.

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, so let me ask you:

When you boot the computer, are you taken to the dual boot screen, where you click on your choice of OS?

or

Are you automatically logged into one or the other OSes without being given a choice between the two?

I will say that in my case, the worst that's ever happened to me is that I'm automatically logged into one or the other without being given the OS option.

You might take a look at this tutorial and see if it helps:

Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Can you give us step-by-step instructions on how you boot and what you do, with screen shots, if possible, please.

Wynona, Apr 21, 2017
  8. johngalt Win User

In addition, I have one question about your backups:. What program are you using, and what backup scheme are you using?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the post-CU IP builds have changed something drastically in partition structure or file system that your backup program may not be able to (yet) handle....

johngalt, Apr 21, 2017
  9. Wynona Win User
    I'm also thinking maybe we should ask for a snip of his Disk Management too, just to see how it's set up?

Wynona, Apr 21, 2017
  10. Wynona Win User
    C'mon back, Smactilactus . . .

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual loading Win 10 and Win Update continually breaking my system... - Similar Threads - Dual loading Update

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. reinstall win 10 dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstall win 10 dual boot system: I need to reinstall win 10 without deleting Ubuntu OS I do not know how to tell windows to overwrite only old win 10 partition and not entire hd Thank You 171641
  4. Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10

Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10: I have problem related to setting up a dual boot. i am running Windows version 20H2 . When I tried to install windows on a partition using the latest Windows 10 USB installation, the setup continually rebooted after copying the installation files. I tried several times and...
  5. Win 10 - Continuing Saga of Win 10 Unreliability

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 - Continuing Saga of Win 10 Unreliability: Win 10 - Continuing Saga of Win 10 Unreliability (Totally Bad OS Release!!!) Ya know it's gonna be a another Win 10 Bad Day when, Ya return to a black screen and blinking cursor on your new Win 10 Pro machine AGAIN!!! And, of Course, it won't even boot either... This is...
  6. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  7. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  8. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  9. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...
  10. How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10?

How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10?: How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10? OK, maybe my title is confusing, but I am wondering if it is possible to first upgrade my present win 7 OS to win 10 than do a clean install of win 10, then dual boot with a fresh install of win 7 in a dual...