Windows 10: Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cottonball, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

How to: Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you have more than one operating system installed on your PC, then you will have 30 seconds by default to choose an operating system to run before the default operating system runs automatically.

This tutorial will show you how to choose a default operating system to automatically run at startup after the timeout period in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to choose a default operating system.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Choose Default OS in Advanced Startup Options
    • Option Two: To Choose Default OS in Startup and Recovery
    • Option Three: To Choose Default OS in System Configuration (msconfig)
    • Option Four: To Choose Default OS in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "Choose an operating system" at startup
    NOTE: The default OS is listed first.

OPTION ONE [/i] To Choose Default OS in Advanced Startup Options
    1. While at startup, or after booting to advanced startup options, click/tap on the Change defaults or choose other options link at the bottom. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Choose a default operating system. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the OS you want to set as the default. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on back button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the OS you want to run. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Choose Default OS in Startup and Recovery
    1. Open the Win+X Power User Tasks menu, and click/tap on System.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced system settings link on the left, and close the System window. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the OS (ex: Windows 10) you want as the default in the Default operating system drop down menu, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

5. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 3)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Choose Default OS in System Configuration (msconfig)
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type msconfig, and click/tap on OK to open System Configuration.

2. Click/tap on the Boot tab, select the OS (ex: Windows 10) you want as the "default OS", click/tap on Set as default, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

3. When ready, click on the Restart button to apply. (see screenshot below)

Warning This will restart the computer immediately. Be sure to save and close anything open that you do not want to lose first.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Choose Default OS in Command Prompt
    1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Type bcdedit in the command prompt, and press Enter.

3. Under each Windows Boot Loader section, look for the OS description (ex: Windows 10) you want to set as the default OS, and make note of its identifier (ex: {current}). (see screenshots below)

Note Under the top Windows Boot Manager section, the identifier (ex: {default}) for the current default OS will be shown to the right of default.

4. Type the command below in the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow bcdedit /default {identifier}

Note Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: {current}) from step 3 of the OS (ex: Windows 10) you want to set as the default.

For example: bcdedit /default {current}

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

cottonball, Nov 15, 2016
  2. TrevorPeden, Nov 15, 2016
  3. Converting a dual boot system disc to single boot

Hi,

Here is info how to choose default system - and you can also remove others.

How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 1

Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

It would be best to remove the Linux partition with Linux and then re-make it in Windows. However you can try using Windows Disk Manager to remove it.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 15, 2016
  5. Thanks Brink!!

Actually, the OPs PC boots to Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu.
    It does not appear that Ubuntu is set as the default operating system.

Just wondering if the Tutorial would apply, by any chance. However, the OP would probably need to deal with GRUB.

cottonball, Nov 15, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The OP will most likely need to deal with GRUB, but it won't hurt to try to set what the OP wants in the Windows boot manager to see.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choose Default Operating

2. why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?: it’s asking me to choose operating system volume 2, volume 2, volume 3 how do i make it so that i have 1 operating system on my pc? i might’ve reinstalled windows 10 incorrectly...
  3. why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?: it’s asking me to choose operating system volume 2, volume 2, volume 3 how do i make it so that i have 1 operating system on my pc? i might’ve reinstalled windows 10 incorrectly...
  4. why is it asking me to choose operating system on startup?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM: I am stucked at choose an operating system? Like when I m choosing a operating system going back to choose an operating system page. Tried everything system repair failed. System reset stucked at reseting. Please help me asap what I can do to fix it. Thanks...
  6. CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM: I am stucked at choose an operating system? Like when I m choosing a operating system going back to choose an operating system page. Tried everything system repair failed. System reset stucked at reseting. Please help me asap what I can do to fix it. Thanks...
  7. CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Prompt for Choose an operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prompt for Choose an operating system: Hi,I get a prompt to Choose an operating system when I login. See image:https://imgur.com/HR01dQzIt's been a bit, but I believe that old install was causing me grief corrupt or some other so I did a fresh install on larger ssd. However, I never correctly removed that old...
  9. Choose an Operating System

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Choose an Operating System: After I reset this PC, is a laptop Toshiba, befor the logon Toshiba show up a screen that say Choose an operating System,that show windows 10 is on volume 4,i only have windows 10.not other operating system,how can i fix it...
  10. Choose operating system prompt in Windows 10 startup

Choose operating system prompt in Windows 10 startup: I keep getting a prompt on start up to choose an operating system in Windows 10. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/choose-operating-system-prompt-in-windows-10/dabe02f1-c363-41af-8878-5a72ea4d598d