Windows 10: Edge non-responsive after Creators Update

Discus and support Edge non-responsive after Creators Update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Edge is unresponsive after the Creators Update (opens to blank page, Home button won't work and can't even type anything in address bar). Most... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mrgeek, Apr 5, 2017.

1. mrgeek Win User

Edge non-responsive after Creators Update

Edge is unresponsive after the Creators Update (opens to blank page, Home button won't work and can't even type anything in address bar). Most hamburger menu items on right work except New Window and Zoom and extensions lost. All previous settings like Home page, Save Downloads location, etc are still there. Edge was working before the Update and most everything else in OS works flawlessly. I tried un-install but re-install failed so rolled back to 1607, Edge worked and reinstalled CU via ISO, same problem again.

I tried this Brink tutorial - Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 with no change. Tried changing DNS, sfc scannow found no corruptions. Most of the time, I can only close Edge via Task Manager kill. Any other suggestions ?

:)

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2017
  2. prs77 Win User

Microsoft Edge keeps disappearing

Every few days Edge becomes non-responsive. I follow instructions elsewhere to restore Edge but Edge keeps disappearing/non-responsive. I tried scf.exe /scannow. It reported NO problems with my system. When it is working, I like Edge but I can't keep
    restoring it. What now?

prs77, Apr 5, 2017
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Computer non-responsive after Windows 10 update

Hi John,

In the light of the information given by you, please follow the below steps and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Activate the inbuilt admin account.

Follow the below steps to do the same

1. Go to a different computer and download Windows 10 into a DVD disk by following the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Insert the Disk into your computer.

3. Press the manufacturer’s key for one time boot menu, normally it is F12.

4. There select CD/DVD/CD-RW drive.

5. Press any key to boot.

6. You will be redirected to an Options screen.

7. Select Troubleshoot>advanced options>start up settings.

8. In the new windows select Safe mode with Command prompt.

9. In the command window type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

10. Restart your computer and go to the admin account and back up all your data.

After doing the steps, please follow the below step.

Step 2: Create a new account by following the below steps:

Follow the below steps to do the same.

a. Type Settings on the search bar.

b. Click on Accounts.

c. Go to Family and Other users, in that click on Add someone else to PC.

d. In there click on Microsoft Account if you want to create an MS account or else click on Local Account.

e. There give a name to the account and provide password if you want.

Step 3: Make that new account as an admin account, by following the below steps:

a. Go to control panel.

b. In User accounts and Account type select
    change account type.

c. Here select the account you have. There select
    change account type.

d Select the Administrator
    button and click change account type.

Step 4: Disable inbuilt admin account:

a. Press windows key + X key.

b. Select Command prompt (admin).

c. Type the below command line:

net user administrator /active:no

d. Restart your computer.

If you want, you can delete the old corrupted account by following the below step

Step 5: Delete the old account.

Please follow the below steps to do the same.

1. Press windows key + R key.

2. In the run dialog box type netplwiz.

3. Select Delete the old account.

Disclaimer: Backup all your data before deleting any account. You can go to the current admin account>File explorer>This PC> C: drive> Users> Here select the user and copy all the files and data before you delete it. Microsoft will not be
    liable for any data loss. Proceed at your own risk.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Juzar_Ali, Apr 5, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

FIXED !! Had to delete this hidden folder in Safe Mode first -
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe by un-ticking Read Only, Apply and then deleting the entire folder. Reboot and THEN use Brink's tute to reinstall. Have set up Edge settings again but at least it works now. *Party

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2017
  5. winword Win User
    Thanks mrgreek! I did the same thing. Yes, you have to re-do your settings and re-import your favorites, but now the hub doesn't hang and everything works. How about a fix here MS? This is the only issue I've had (so far) with Creators Update.

winword, Apr 6, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Thanks, I knew about deleting that folder but could never get the whole thing to delete until I tried in safe mode. The powershell command to reinstall worked quickly and I've never seen the browser run so well. Starting to use it much more now.
    *Party

mrgeek, Apr 7, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    I still have to do this every couple of weeks. Delete the directory
    %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache from another account.

Problems downloading with Edge - Page 4 - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

It is odd but Edge just stops working for me after a week or two (after multiple clean installs over the last few years) and this always fixes it. I've even put this .bat on the desktop of the built in administrator account to run.

Code: :: Note the /d Y on takeown - it means answer prompt with Y :: See Takeown You do not have permission to read the contents of directory set a="C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache" if not exist %a%\ goto END takeown /f %a% /r /d Y icacls %a% /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Edge non-responsive after Creators Update :(F) /t rmdir %a% /s /q :END pause[/quote]
    It would be nice if it was fixed one day but as of the current 1703 release it isn't yet.

lx07, Apr 7, 2017
  8. winword Win User

Yeah, it would be nice if MS has this fixed by 4/15/2017 (since this is too much for most users and will turn people off Edge for no good reason). Overall, I'm very happy with the CU release so far. So good job in general Microsoft, but please fix this issue which will turn people off If it gets pushed out on 4/15 with no update to fix the problem. BTW, I've used MS Edge as my main browser for a couple years now, and I just use ... -> "Open with Internet Explorer" if I ever run to trouble with Edge (which is pretty rare). Yes, I also had to use safe mode to delete the Microsoft.MicrosftEdge* file.

winword, Apr 7, 2017
  9. winword Win User
    Sorry, here I meant 4/11/2017, the official release date.

winword, Apr 9, 2017
  10. I have not been able to fix this issue on my SP3. I have performed all fixes mentioned and also a DISM repair from the install media (before booting to OS).

I have a suspicion there is a software conflict somewhere, but I'm unwilling to reset the OS at this time.

dareyoutomove, Apr 16, 2017
  11. Maggidon Win User
    I find it so disheartening to see Edge working like a Mac truck dragged miles down the track in front of a wet locomotive. It's way too obvious this Browser stuff is not important to Microsoft and consequently we are supposed to enjoy the mess. I was surprised to see the speed difference but with it not saving tabs and messing up bookmarks, no, this is not the way to go man. Seriously, when people have to work in the Registry, play harmonicas, see counselors and make config. & bat files to get a Browser to supposedly work, man, it's time to move on down to Google town. And I mean now. Like we'll be seeing ya over there, right over that way! You know what I'm saying?

Maggidon, Apr 20, 2017
  12. TDOZ Win User
    I have had similar issues, but not fixed by the INETCACHE removal. As I had a full clone backup on another disk in the desktop, (taken prior to the problem state)I decided to try the MS Support route, via the CHAT and remote support. Interestingly, the support tech used this program:
    Windows Repair (All In One) Download
    It did a LOT of stuff (he ticked just a few items in the "tool set" main GUI, related to EDGE and apps) - and it took over an hour (he disconnected once it was running). It needed a restart, and although it did not do any other apps or system damage, it actually made the EDGE browser worse (in that it only stayed active for a few seconds, then crashed and exited).

For some problems, that (AIO "All In One") fixer might work for specific problems, but as MS Windows 10 update levels are a continuous moving target, I would advise that anyone contemplating using it, has a full backup, or ideally, a full bootable clone from a known working state before using it, AND ensure you have the latest version of this repair tool (always check for updates from the AIO site before using it).

13. Maggidon Win User

I suggest anyone who leans towards great grief, gloom, despair, agony, deep dark depression, excessive misery ... then yes! Yes, use Edge. It shouldn't be long before that one will teeter right over the edge into the Le Brea Tar pits!!! Let's stand people and give an all out excessive applause for the next Patch Tuesday which will be a guarantee to fix all known and unknown problems!

Maggidon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Edge non-responsive after Creators Update - Similar Threads - Edge non responsive

2. Windows Explorer non-responsive after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer non-responsive after Windows update: Windows 11 updated itself the other day and since then I am unable to use Windows Explorer.It opens fine, but as soon as I click on a folder or drive, the progress bar freezes and it becomes non-responsive.Needless to say it's very difficult to use a computer when you can't...
  3. Windows Explorer non-responsive after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer non-responsive after Windows update: Windows 11 updated itself the other day and since then I am unable to use Windows Explorer.It opens fine, but as soon as I click on a folder or drive, the progress bar freezes and it becomes non-responsive.Needless to say it's very difficult to use a computer when you can't...
  4. Taskbar non-responsive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  5. Taskbar non-responsive.

Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  6. Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard

Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC v1809 on a touchscreen PC.This PC came with a piece of equipment my company purchased, and when it was installed, the touchscreen keyboard worked fine; it popped up when you entered a text input field, or when you pressed the button...
  7. Creators Update Broke Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Creators Update Broke Edge: All other browser work fine... but after the Creators Update Edge is behaving badly with intermittent problems. Main error is 'Hmmm... cannot reach this page' with 'The DNS server might be having problems. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND' when Details is clicked....
  8. More Edge issues after Fall Creators Update

in Browsers and Email
    More Edge issues after Fall Creators Update: Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for your help. computers are dell inspiron laptops, i7 processors, less than a year old, updated to fc. First a suggestion: is there a single thread for problems with major Windows updates, like the fall...
  9. Edge not working after Creators Update

in Browsers and Email
    Edge not working after Creators Update: Microsoft Edge launches to a blank screen, hangs for a few moments then shuts off. This has happened since the Creators so called Update. It worked perfectly until then. Can anything be done or should I use Opera instead? 94926
  10. Edge won't work after Creator

in Browsers and Email
    Edge won't work after Creator: Hi everyone, my very first post anywhere and I am desperate! Upgraded to Creator 3 weeks ago and Edge won't open since - click on it, opens, hangs then back to desktop. Have tried various options to repair but no joy. Now I also get funny message on start up - will try and...