Windows 10: Edge Stopped Working

Discus and support Edge Stopped Working in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm on Build 14986 of Win 10. Today, I tried to use Edge. It launches to the point where the home page URL appears in the address bar, but the page... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pvan42, Dec 27, 2016.

1. pvan42 Win User

Edge Stopped Working

I'm on Build 14986 of Win 10.
    Today, I tried to use Edge. It launches to the point where the home page URL appears in the address bar, but the page itself does not display. No other page will display either.
    In IE, all is well, so I'm pretty sure Edge is messed up.
    NB Before today, Edge was OK.
    Is there any way to fix/refresh Edge to get it working again?

:)

pvan42, Dec 27, 2016

2. Amazon streaming problem

This is definitely a new compatibility problem- the Amazon player was working in Edge, and continues to work under Firefox, but stopped working in Edge after the last Windows Update.

mikeunderthebigblacksun, Dec 27, 2016
  3. Google search in edge Hmm, we can’t reach this page

I had a similar issue with Edge not working.

It turns out Edge doesn't work if you have the DNS Cache service stopped or disabled.

KevinSodhi, Dec 27, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

Edge Stopped Working

I found this a few days ago when my Edge stopped working. The "Repair Edge" button basically does everything as outlined by Ramiiiiiiil in this Microsoft Answers thread. NOTE: If you download the repair tool it will be shown as Win_Tool<dot>exe<dot>part. You'll need to eliminate the <dot>part for the tool to work.

Need to repair or reinstall Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Community

Edge Stopped Working [​IMG]
    Warning Before trying the repair tool or using the method described by Ramiiiiiiil, suggest you make a new restore point or system image just in case.

marsmimar, Dec 28, 2016
  5. pvan42 Win User
    Thanks for the info, Marsmimar. Unfortunately, the procedure did not fix Edge for me. Guess I'll just wait for the next Win 10 build and hope for the best.

pvan42, Dec 30, 2016
  6. marsmimar Win User
    Sorry to hear that the repair tool didn't work for you. Couple of other thoughts if you're feeling adventurous. *Smile

You could try using System Restore to roll back your computer to a date/time prior to Edge acting up.

System Restore Windows 10

Another possibility is to Repair your current build. I'm guessing since you have Build 14986 it might be better to wait for 14997.

Windows 10 Build 14997 Brings New Features and Changes

marsmimar, Dec 30, 2016
  7. Dumb Q but did you try resetting permissions on the appdata folders for edge? Every other issue I have had with it were permission based. 0-o

ZippyDSMlee, Dec 30, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

Edge Stopped Working

Are you using Malwarebytes 3.0.5? Edge won't run or loads very slowly if Malwarebytes 3.0.5 is running. I stopped using Edge until this gets fixed.

Winuser, Dec 30, 2016
  9. pvan42 Win User
    Thanks, Winuser! I do run MB 3.0.5. I'll wait for a fix.

pvan42, Dec 30, 2016
  10. Funny I am running MWB3 up to date and its giving me no issues, now a few versions ago it hated FF and would not let it run at all, its working fine now.

MWB3 will make things take forever when MWB3 is just starting up tho, could be that?

ZippyDSMlee, Dec 30, 2016
  11. Winuser Win User
    I run Malwarebytes full time. I was going to disable it but I don't really care that much for Edge so I went back to using Pale Moon. I only use Edge for testing.

Winuser, Dec 30, 2016
  12. I use the resource eater known as Fire Fox LOL
    I pay attention to edge/ie because other in my family will only use it or IE.Also IE was a cornerstone of windose if its acting odd then something in windose is broken so I tend to at least make sure its working before I move on, then again I reinstall windose 2 or 3 times a year just because something breaks and it takes as much time to go back to a fresh install as fixing something half the time if you use a day old image it goes even faster. The worst is migrating the profile I wish soemone would make that less time consuming.

ZippyDSMlee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Edge Stopped Working

1. Edge Stopped Working - Similar Threads - Edge Stopped Working

2. Stopping Edge!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stopping Edge!: Dammit Microsoft! How do I PERMANANTLY stop Microsoft Edge from running?I have gone into the Group Policy Editor & DISABLED:1. Allow Microsoft Edge to pre-launch at Windows startup, when the system is idle & each time Microsoft Edge is closed2. Allow Microsoft Edge to start &...
  3. Stopping Edge!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stopping Edge!: Dammit Microsoft! How do I PERMANANTLY stop Microsoft Edge from running?I have gone into the Group Policy Editor & DISABLED:1. Allow Microsoft Edge to pre-launch at Windows startup, when the system is idle & each time Microsoft Edge is closed2. Allow Microsoft Edge to start &...
  4. MS Edge.... Stops working, Stops responding.

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge.... Stops working, Stops responding.: Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.615 all up to date. As per title, happens 3 to 5 times a day have tried Reset, Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall via Powershell instructions from this forum....but to no avail.(On 3 occasions over last few days). Have attached two images from...
  5. MS Edge.... Stops working, Stops responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Edge.... Stops working, Stops responding.: Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.615 all up to date. As per title, happens 3 to 5 times a day have tried Reset, Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall via Powershell instructions from this forum....but to no avail.(On 3 occasions over last few days). Have attached two images from...
  6. Onedrive stopped working for Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Onedrive stopped working for Edge: Not too long ago, I had Onedrive working fine for my Edge favorites -- they were available on Edge for my tablet and smartphone as well. Suddenly, they completely disappeared from my tablet and smartphone -- even though my Onenote files continued to be available on all three...
  7. Windows 10 Mobile Edge Browser stops working

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mobile Edge Browser stops working: Hi all, I have a Lumia 640 installed with Windows 10 Mobile ver.1703, OS Build 10.0.15063.1689 I believe this issue arose when my Windows Phone downloaded the latest update from windows update. When I try to open Edge, it launches for 1 second, then closes itself (never...
  8. Edge stopped working

in Browsers and Email
    Edge stopped working: I keep getting this message when I close Edge. It doesn't affect anything since it occurs when I'm closing. I noticed it on a customer's PC the other day so it looks like a MS bug. Closing the warning closes the warning and nothing else. Pete 56311
  9. Edge stopped

in Browsers and Email
    Edge stopped: I turned on the system and Edge won't work but IE11 does. How do I change this. Thanks 40141
  10. Edge Stopped Working as denoted in Reliability History

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Stopped Working as denoted in Reliability History: Win10 v1703 build 15063.608 Good Afternoon: I'm running Chrome (default), Edge, and IE11 on a 64 bit Win10 laptop. I recently Clean Installed Win10. When I check Reliability History, I get a clean report for days and weeks, until I use Edge. Everyday that I use...