Windows 10: Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

Discus and support Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I turn on this function, again? I have tried the following: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy and bcdedit /set {bootmgr}... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mike_1369, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Mike_1369 Win User

Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

How can I turn on this function, again?

I have tried the following:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

and

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

as per online searches. But, I get the following message:

>>The set command specified is not valid.

>>Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

>>The parameter is incorrect.

I can't find anything further on this. Was it removed / changed in Windows 10 1909 build ?

Thank you,

Mike

:)

Mike_1369, Dec 17, 2019

2. Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?

It was Option Two, step 4 (holding shift key while pressing restart) that worked.

CountryBumkin, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Davidk03 Win User
    Safe Mode Start F8

I've lately encountered a puzzling situation with safe mode start using the F8 key.

Bluntly, the F8 key press during boot (when the motherboard logo, BIOS entry key notice etc is displayed, and after) has been in-effective. I've tried several times pressing the key earlier in the boot cycle (per help), substituted a brand new keyboard,
    and tried just holding the F8 key down during that part of the cycle: with no evident effect using either keyboard - the PC boots to windows normally.

It's highly unlikely that both keyboards are broken with the same key, and when booted using Word, pressing F8 causes the next text character to be selected. On both keyboards, the DEL key during motherboard logo display boot gets me into the BIOS. So
    it's unlikely it is a keyboard issue.

When booted, I can cause a safe mode boot at the next re-start using the msconfig /boot options, so the PC will do a safe mode boot, and the safe mode message at top RH corner of the display is evident in these boots.

It looks very likely that an F8 key signal is being ignored at windows startup. And an F8 safe mode boot has been a life-saver in the past when driver updates went sour and a safe start before the OS loads is essential, so I'm very interested in resolving
    this. An experienced colleague has suggested that it may be some sort of timer setting that's simply too fast for keyboard sensing: but holding the key down should (??) be sensed. So, I am perplexed and out of ideas of cause and fix.

Help.

Davidk03, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

unable to boot into safe mode

i have been hijacked, virus, everything. so i was told to boot into safe mode then run all of my virus and spyware scans. well i cant boot into safe mode, i turn off the computer using the power button, wait 30 seconds, press power again, as soon as i press that i press F8 and hold it down, i continue to hold it down and it just continues to go into normal windows boot....then i tried the same again, did the same. tried doing the same but this time "tapping" the F8 key, does the same...is there another way to boot into safe mode?

Braveheart, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot

1. Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot - Similar Threads - Enable Safe Mode

2. Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working: Hello, I posted a question because that command didn't workI had this problem after upgrading to Windows 11 and then downgrading.How do I fix this command not working fix?...
  3. Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working: Hello, I posted a question because that command didn't workI had this problem after upgrading to Windows 11 and then downgrading.How do I fix this command not working fix?...
  4. Windows 10 Safe Mode F8 Command Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows won’t boot after enabling safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won’t boot after enabling safe mode: So i tried to reinstall my GPU drivers so i went to msconfig and enabled in the boot tab the safe mode option but now my computer wont boot and its just black screen and nothing else...
  6. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  7. Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode unavailable after enabling secure boot: Hello, I've installed Win10 without UEFI/secure boot (a classic MBR drive with NTFS), a few days ago I used mbr2gpt to convert the system drive to GPT and then enabled UEFI and Secure Boot by enrolling the EFI keys from bootx64.efi in my BIOS. From that point I've lost the...
  8. Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Reactivate F8 to boot safe mode: I happened across this cmd.exe line while looking for a shortcut to open in safe mode: Code: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy[/quote] . It worked. I found a startup menu and got to safe mode with network. One little problem: after trying it out I rebooted and...
  9. How to enter windows 10 in safe mode with f8 key!

in Windows 10 Support
    How to enter windows 10 in safe mode with f8 key!: I saw some were on this forum a post discussing safe mode and how it did not work on windows 10 using f8 key... I like knowing if I need to get into safe mode on my pc the f8 key will work... So I started checking the web and found how to make windows 10 go into safe mode...
  10. Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does F8 key still work to boot into Safe Mode?: I ran into a problem installing Win10 on my laptop (I posted about it here). I got into an endless reboot cycle where Win would go to desktop but no taskbar/apps worked and a popup message left me no choice but to reboot again. I needed to get to Safe Mode to fix this. I had...