Windows 10: Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this...

Discus and support Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, My child had a local account on both my desktop and a laptop. I wanted to convert these accounts to a Microsoft account so I could use Family... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JustinMellor, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this...

Hi,

My child had a local account on both my desktop and a laptop.

I wanted to convert these accounts to a Microsoft account so I could use Family features.

I created a child account from within my account on the desktop and then we successfully converted the local account on the laptop to login using this account.

Now when I try to convert my child's local account on the desktop to the Microsoft account I get the error

"another user on this device uses this account"

I am running Windows 10 Home 1809 and in the "Family & other users" settings I can see the Microsoft account in "Your family" however it is not configured to allow login. In the "Other users" there is the local account for my child.

I have checked and there are no profiles created on the machine for the microsoft account, so am struggling to work out how to proceed. I even tried going into the online Family management and removing my child from the family but that errored too.

Any ideas how to solve this?

:)

JustinMellor, Dec 18, 2018

2. Convert Local User Account to Family Account

Hi,

Sorry for the previous suggestion provided by Ratandeep. I checked in few Windows 10 computer. The troubleshooter is not designed to run in Windows 10.

I like to inform you that you cannot Convert Local User Account to Family Account because you need Microsoft account to control your child account. Without Microsoft account you cannot set permission needed for your child account.

I would suggest you to provide the feedback on this using feedback app.

Hope this information helps,

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 18, 2018
  3. Kari Win User
    Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this... [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this... [​IMG]

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

4. Darshan J Win User

Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this...

Windows 10 - Trying to convert local to Microsoft account - getting "account already exists" error

Hello James,

To convert local account to Microsoft account follow the steps below.

• Logout from your existing Microsoft account, login using local account.
    • Make sure your connected to internet.
    • click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.
    [*]This will help you to convert local account to Microsoft account.
    [*]Get back to us if you are still unable to convert the account so we can further troubleshoot the issue.
    [*]

Darshan J, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this...

1. Error trying to convert child's local account to a microsoft account "another user on this... - Similar Threads - Error trying convert

2. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  3. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  4. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  6. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  7. Windows 10: Unable to convert local user account to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Unable to convert local user account to Microsoft account: I've Google searched this and every article I find is out of date. The options simply do not exist, reference the article below.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switch-from-a-local-account-to-a-microsoft-account-395203bf-9f1b-eb24-b042-5b8dae6c1d20These options...
  8. Converting Microsoft account to local user (version 2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Converting Microsoft account to local user (version 2004): I'm trying to convert my microsoft account to a local/offline account on my computer. Any guides I found online are for the previous windows version. Going to Settings>Account>My Info does not present the option to convert to local account anymore submitted by /u/canadaboi...
  9. Local account converted to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local account converted to Microsoft account: I just signed up for office 365 family. the PC was set up with a local account which I used to sign on. Say user name is guest and password is ######. I opened I opened office.com sign in and started using office apps. Now my local logon is attached to my Microsoft...
  10. Convert Local User Account to Family Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Convert Local User Account to Family Account: My son has a local account on his Windows 10 Pro computer with all sorts of customizations that he likes in place. I need to convert that account to a CHILD family account. I was able to change my administrative account to my ADULT family account but when I try to do the...