Windows 10: Errors when installing apps on secondary HD and when moving them too

Discus and support Errors when installing apps on secondary HD and when moving them too in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; hi guys! I have a big issue: I'm not able to install or move NON system apps to any other drive that is not C:\ (installation disk). On a side note I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by brainvision, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Errors when installing apps on secondary HD and when moving them too

hi guys! I have a big issue: I'm not able to install or move NON system apps to any other drive that is not C:\ (installation disk). On a side note I relocated my users folder to D: while installing following the guide present here into this forum, but I'm pretty sure it should not be related to that because I had the same identical setup a month ago when apps used to install on D or other drivers and because it is not only D: giving errors, it every disk but C:!

I have a clean Windows installation that I made just two days ago, formatting my main C and D disks (C has more than 70 GB free and D has more than 400 GB free): installing aps on C works nice, but if I choose D or other drives installations always fail (on apps that I installed on secodaries disks only a month ago): the error is the "usual" code 0x80073cf9 (searching the web does not give any specific reason).
    I have errors when trying to move apps from C to D (or other drives), too: error code 0x80073d0b.

I don't really know where to ask for: Microsoft community is useless and gurus there always propose the same solutions for everything: sfc scannow, clean boot, bla bla bla. I already tried to reset store and unregister it but nothing helped..
    I also tried this Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 8 and 10 without any sort of apparent result *Sad
    Maybe I should uninstall and install the store again, but I fear that I would lose it for ever..

So, I really don't know what to do guys.. Do you have any suggestion, please?
    Thanks a lot!

:)

brainvision, Mar 17, 2017
  2. kiltbear Win User

Installing OVI Suite on secondary hard disk

you can install Ovi Suite on a secondary HD, but when you update it, you're SOL.

If you wanrt Ovi on a different drive than C: you will ALWAYS have to perform a manual install, because Nokia's completely braindead updater ALWAYS puts updates on C: (effectively moving your installation from wherever you had it previously).

kiltbear, Mar 17, 2017
  3. farby Win User
    Apps crash when I try to open them after moving them from my phone to SDcard

You may try formatting the SD card .. but if its happening just for the subject application,uninstall it and try reinstalling it directly on the SD Card ..

Not sure about this particular application, but certain applications need to be installed in Phone memory only to work correctly.

farby, Mar 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Errors when installing apps on secondary HD and when moving them too

No aps should be saved to another drive. Even if you give it a drive letter and it does not come online, the OS is saying that you cannot do what you want, because the software engineers have coded windows to behave like that, unlike Linux you can do that on a drive that is enabled when the OS loads.

bro67, Mar 18, 2017
  5. could you please elaborate? I fear I did not understand what you mean..

I'm only trying to use an option that Windows developers gave us, nothing more than that

brainvision, Mar 18, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I've not had problems yet in Custom Installing programs on my D: drive and I store my Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos on the D: drive. My drive came split as 150GB C: and remainder as D: in my new ASUS computer 4 months ago. It's quite difficult to move programs as the install routine puts support files in Windows, creates the Icons and writes Registry entries, can be complicated in the move process versus the Install process.

Custom Installing on other partitions can be affected by the program being installed, Microsoft Office usually insists upon installing a lot of itself on the same partition as the OS/Operating System. Installing on removable drives seldom works unless using the PAF/Portable Applications program and programs coded for PAF, there's several available such as LibreOffice. I never install on a second HDD in the computer as it may get changed or removed hence the second partition on the main or only HDD.

Berton, Mar 18, 2017
  7. thanks I really got the point, and as long as I know there's actually no way to install MS Office anywhere but main installation disk (let's say C: )

But I was only asking about apps from Store: as I'm sure you know we could also choose a different drive for apps too, not only for docs, photos etc..

brainvision, Mar 18, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

I haven't started using the Store yet but a couple of my clients have and they encountered the same issue of installing on the OS drive.

Berton, Mar 19, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    No you cannot install apps outside of the folder that they are stored in for windows. You would have to go into the windows code to change that behavior for something like maybe at max a few mb of space, if that. App's are so small in the coding that they do not affect drive space.

bro67, Mar 19, 2017
  10. sorry, I thought it was obvious: we're talking about moving/installing NEW apps, not system ones or apps embedded on Windows installation.

- - - - -

Now I just formatted everything and installed Widows again, relocating Users folder as well; then installed the few update available, signed into Windows, updated apps from Store, unistalled a few, and finally tried to install apps on second HD: it works, at the moment, so I guess (I hope!) it was an issue due to something broked into my previous Windows.

thanks a lot for your help and hints guys! *Wink

brainvision, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Errors when installing apps on secondary HD and when moving them too - Similar Threads - Errors installing apps

2. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  3. Apps close when minimizing them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Apps close when minimizing them: Hello, I have an issue with certain apps that always close when I left-click them on the taskbar or minimize them in the window. Whenever I click certain apps, they will just automatically close and I’ll have to re-launch them. The same thing happens when I click minimize....
  4. Apps move to background when mouseclicked

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps move to background when mouseclicked: Hello everybody! Im experiencing the most peculiar sporadic error and i cant find anything that seems relevant when searching for it.. The computer works just fine most of the time, but sometimes the system seem to send any and all apps to background when clicked. This can...
  5. Windows Store Apps are duplicating when i move them to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Store Apps are duplicating when i move them to another drive: Hi There, when i have previously moved games like Forza, Halo:MCC and Sea of Thieves using the "move" tool to another drive on my computer, it seems to be creating duplicate data on the new drive, and NOT deleting the old location on C:\ when it is done. i have 176gb of...
  6. error message when installing an app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    error message when installing an app: I recently attempted to install a program Motorola Radio Programmer on my Surface Windows 10. The installation was almost complete when my battery died. I plugged the Surface in and restarted the installation. Then I get an error message that the program is installed already...
  7. error message when installing an app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    error message when installing an app: I recently attempted to install a program Motorola Radio Programmer on my Surface Windows 10. The installation was almost complete when my battery died. I plugged the Surface in and restarted the installation. Then I get an error message that the program is installed already...
  8. Open apps move to secondary monitor when displays are turned off

Open apps move to secondary monitor when displays are turned off: Whenever I turn off my monitors, all open apps move from monitor 2 (my primary display) to monitor 3. This only happens when the computer is NOT sleeping during the time the monitors were turned off. Does anyone have a solution to this or at least a way to quickly bring...
  9. Secondary monitor moves to right side when disabled

Secondary monitor moves to right side when disabled: Hello. I have two monitor but don`t use extended display feature all the time. The secondary monitor is on the left side of my table. And everytime that I disable the extended monitor feature the secondary monitor moves to the right side on the config, so I`ve to drag it...
  10. Game lags when moving mouse too fast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game lags when moving mouse too fast: Hello, I'm experiencing this issue on Windows 10. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2908279 When moving the mouse over games it lags, low fps, stuttering. The article however is for 8.1 not Windows 10. Any help would be appreciated, thanks 74569