Windows 10: ESD folder on disk C

Discus and support ESD folder on disk C in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I am new here so please excuse me if this is already answered. I am succesfuly upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by glock356, Jun 13, 2016.

1. glock356 Win User

ESD folder on disk C

Hello!
    I am new here so please excuse me if this is already answered.
    I am succesfuly upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit via Microsoft Free Upgrade offer.
    Everything works fine, so there is no problem

My question is:

After upgrading to W10 there is on disk C folder named ESD with subfolder named Windows(just Windows, without version number) - its about 3.4 GB
    Content of this subfolder(Windows) is:

Folders:

boot
    efi
    sources
    support

and files:

autorun.inf
    bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup.exe

It looks like a files and folders on bootable USB or DVD

For what is this usable and how to use this?

Thanks for answers *Wink

:)

glock356, Jun 13, 2016
  2. llMuratll Win User

What is ESD Folder?

Hi,

There is one folder on my PC called "ESD", which is at This PC > Local Disk (CESD folder on disk C :) > ESD location. It is empty folder now. If it is not important I want to delete it.

Can you explain what it's exact name and what it does?

llMuratll, Jun 13, 2016
  3. x osn Win User
    Windows 10 create your own installation media

You will need to decrypt the Windows 10 ESD file which is located w/in the following folder

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd

upon your hard disk & convert it from an esd file back in to an ISO file using an ESD to ISO decrypter for your Windows 10 installation which can be saved to a safe place upon your PC!

Windows 10 Forums> "ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File">

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/esd-to-iso-create-bootable-iso-from-windows-10-esd-file.7462/

Regards,

Xen.

x osn, Jun 13, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

ESD folder on disk C

There should be a file called "install.esd" in Sources sub folder. It could be used to make an ISO to keep as backup to make a bootable USB/DVD so you can do clean install of W10 or use as repair disk. Saves you from having to download W10 again to use like that.
    You can use ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums to do that.
    Afterwards you can remove all of that (including Windows.old) using "Disk cleanup" as you will not need it any more if you don't plan to revert to previous windows.

CountMike, Jun 13, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    You can make an ISO out of that folder to create a windows setup media iso....

or copy the contents of that folder to a fat32 formatted USB stick to make windows setup media...

6. ELI
    Eli Win User
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    Zippyshare.com - ESD TO ISO.7z

7. vanp Win User
    I went from W7 to W10 a year-and-a-half ago. I guess the "Windows ESD installation files" thing has been there the whole time, 3.04 GB. The description for these files says something about "refresh" and "reset."

If I wanted to go back to W7, I could use the W7 system image I created before switching to W10. Also, if I had a problem with W10 I have the installation disk, plus I create a system image every week.

It seems safe to delete this thing, but can anybody tell me under what circumstances these files would be used, and how; would I do something, or the "system?" Thanks.

8. Kyhi Win User

ESD folder on disk C

They can be safely removed..

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

ESD folder on disk C

1. ESD folder on disk C - Similar Threads - ESD folder disk

2. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ESD Folder: Trying to clean up my 1TB hard drive because I'm running out of room! I've moved off all videos, music, documents, photos, and STILL only have 10GB left!!There is a folder entitled "ESD" that contains a 4GB file - ESD>Windows>Sources>install.esdWhat is that for? Do I need it...
  3. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ESD Folder: Trying to clean up my 1TB hard drive because I'm running out of room! I've moved off all videos, music, documents, photos, and STILL only have 10GB left!!There is a folder entitled "ESD" that contains a 4GB file - ESD>Windows>Sources>install.esdWhat is that for? Do I need it...
  4. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Could this folder C:\ESD\Windows be deleted? CESD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could this folder C:\ESD\Windows be deleted? CESD: win11Cwin115G win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-this-folder-cesdwindows-be-deleted/12d9482a-7a39-4a1b-a094-3aeccdac8c8b
  6. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Esd folder: My pc had some file corruption i did in placment update and after that there some file called esd 4.3 gb what to do it can i deletw it and how pls wirte steps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-folder/6caa51da-61d5-4743-b24f-b97dd3c537b9
  7. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Esd folder: My pc had some file corruption i did in placment update and after that there some file called esd 4.3 gb what to do it can i deletw it and how pls wirte steps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-folder/6caa51da-61d5-4743-b24f-b97dd3c537b9
  8. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. ESD Folder in C: Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ESD Folder in C: Drive: Hey there, I've recently reinstalled windows 10 using windows media creation tool and after that I've found a folder named 'ESD' in my C: Drive. So what is it and can I delete it?...
  10. ESD folder on disk C

in Windows 10 Support
    ESD folder on disk C: Could this folder be used to run a dism restorehealth and if so what would the cmd look like to direct the repair. I just seem not to be able to direct the dism direction, thanks. Oh and it has and install esd in the sources folder. 129392