Windows 10: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Discus and support Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Update: On my PC (with no internet) I set the wireless adapter as such: Unchecked IPv6. If my understanding is correct, we should be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lr1, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Kbird Win User

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Don't set address or subnet etc on the Adaptor ..... you maybe wrong ? eg your subnet maybe 255.255.255.255 or Comcast may use some crazy one?, let DHCP handle all that since you aren't using a Static IP from Comcast (I assume). If you have reserved the IP on the Router with the MAC No# it will always get the .100 address.

Reason for using Google's DNS instead of Comcast's Default ones? ( just curious , but I'd use Defaults while trouble shooting)

ie recently my ISP changed something at their end and my Own router stopped using IPV6 , took some trial and error but eventually it turned out My Router couldn't be on the same Subnet as my ISP's one , IPV6 instantly came back after I changed it to 255.255.0.0 from the Router's Default.....

You said you reset the Router to Defaults and setup again didn't you ? or just a power off/on ?

certainly a strange one..... especially since old laptop is ok....

KB

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  2. Bree New Member

In another place I was helping someone who had a perfectly good working WiFi connection set up while running 1511. After the AU installed itself the WiFi would still successfully connect to the router, but there was no internet access. The solution we found was to go into the WiFi settings, select 'manage known networks' an click 'Forget' for that particular connection. On re-establishing the connection everything was back to normal.

My guess is the AU didn't properly migrate the existing settings for that connection from 1511 to 1607 and they were suffering the same type of problem as being discussed here. Maybe the same type of solution will help?

3. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    I'm back to trying to use DHCP. I found a couple more relevant forum posts. One suggested checking my local hosts file. For some reason I had a bunch of entries for 127.0.0.1 pointing to various adobe.com servers. I edited the host file to only have "127.0.0.1 localhost", which I believe is the default.

Symptom: I can successfully ping 127.0.0.1, but get a "ping request could not find..." when trying "ping localhost". I found a similar issue here:

No Network Connection Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address 169.254.xxx.xxx - Am I infected? What do I do?

They never posted a solution, but it gave me more things to test. Right now I'm browsing through

Chapter 16 – Troubleshooting TCP/IP

to find more possible solutions.

4. LR1
    lr1 Win User

Yes. Besides the entry I made for a reserved IP, the router should be in its factory default state.

5. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried forgetting and reconnecting, to no effect.

6. Kbird Win User
    Refresh me ......so the old laptop from garage is ok but the Desktop and current Laptop are not ?

It seems like your are doing all the right things , if it was one PC I'd suspect that PC but it's two correct? both on same version of Windows? (Win Key+ R ... type winver...enter) perhaps Rool one Back if possible ( in case OS issue) as a test.

I have heard of Router Virus's but never run into one myself ......

Is Router on latest Firmware ( or known good one) from the Manufacturer ?

KB.

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  7. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    There's one laptop running windows 7 32-bit. It can connect to the internet via its onboard wifi, and via ethernet (in this way, I've tested both ethernet cables and ports on the router). The desktop (with Windows 10) has the problem.

If I can't figure this out by the end of the day, I'll try reinstalling windows 10 on the PC.

Even though microsoft security essentials (or whatever it's being called now in 10) didn't find any malware, that's certainly still a possibility.

Router is on the latest firmware (though there hasn't been an update in a while).

I think I've tried just about everything I can. Most forum posts in a similar situation end up going into very low level stuff like using wireshark to monitor packets and making multiple registry changes, which I just can't do myself.

My conclusion so far:

The fact that this "just happened" one day really makes it sound like a hardware issue, except that I have the same problem with 1) motherboard ethernet 2) wifi card 3) brand new ethernet card. If it's a software issue, it could be a virus, and I need to find some better antivirus software. Otherwise it's a windows bug, and reinstalling windows might be the only solution.

8. LR1
    lr1 Win User

Some additional information, possibly unrelated:

I tried a sfc /scannow, and it did find some corrupt system files it was unable to fix. I found a supposed solution called DISM, but apparently it needs an internet connection. I'm exploring other options, but again, it might just point to the solution being a re-installation of windows.

9. Kbird Win User
    I was going to Suggest an Inplace Upgrade 1st , hopefully a Clean install isn't needed...

If you run SFC 3 times and it still has issues ..yes try DISM and then SFC again ....it depends on what kind of install you have and if you already have the Image for DISM on the computer AFAIK.

But going Inplace , may save all that.... download the ISO on the old Win7 computer if you have to and use a USB key to transfer

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  10. Samuria Win User
    If you can run all our scans and post results this will give us info instead of guessing PCHF System Scans

Samuria, Sep 10, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    DISM, like sfc /scannow, is a standard repair tool provided by Microsoft. they are usually mentioned in the same breath by MS support technician over on MS's support forums (and typically their answer for most questions Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration :) ) . DISM can be told to use a local source (such as a win10 iso) instead of the internet. See this tutorial:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html

12. Bree New Member
  13. LR1
    lr1 Win User

I gave up and re-installed windows. It wasn't too big of a hassle, only took an hour or so to get all the settings back to where I had them. Which in retrospect is no time at all. The good news is I'm back online.

I had ran all the various tools, and there was quite a few problems. I'm not sure, but I think the problem was primarily being caused by this old MS office crack, KMSPico. No idea how that got on there. I do have office but have never used it on this PC. It looked like KMS had been uninstalled, but had left behind remnants that were interfering with some server communication service. So not a virus per se, but functionally the same thing.

DISM wouldn't run either. I downloaded/mounted the iso and followed the instructions you all had linked but kept getting "source files not found", and eventually just ran out of patience.

Anyway, thanks for all the help!

14. Kbird Win User
    Well at least you are back up *Smile , now I suggest Installing Macrium Reflect Free and doing Image backups to an external 2-3 times a week so if needed you can just rollback 2-3 days and fix stuff... , a reimage takes about 12-15 mins and no loss of Data...

KB

Kbird, Sep 11, 2016
  15. LR1
    lr1 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, will do!

Thema:

1. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Similar Threads - Ethernet doesn't valid

2. ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: upon opening my computer my ethernet wouldn't connect. diagnosing the problem through settings gave me the error : "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" i've already tried : - restarting computer- resetting network settings- resetting the network adapter -...
  3. ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: upon opening my computer my ethernet wouldn't connect. diagnosing the problem through settings gave me the error : "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" i've already tried : - restarting computer- resetting network settings- resetting the network adapter -...
  4. "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration”: I just upgraded to BT Hub 5. I haven’t been able to get my desktop Dell Precision Tower 7810 my work horse to connect to the internet due to captioned error.I’ve tried everything from disabling fast start, to reinstalling windows from a recovery date, to command prompt -...
  5. "Ethernet" Doesn't have a valid ip configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Ethernet" Doesn't have a valid ip configuration: So I was just playing a game peacefully, then suddenly the wifi went out, I tried restarting the router. I'm in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/6cf1f4f5-a75e-4112-a491-9df590c3e486
  6. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: The issue is that my computer will still be connected to the internet however since the network is unknown I cannot use it. This happens almost every time I turn on my computer from after a shutdown or after a couple of hours in sleep mode. I run the network troubleshooter...
  7. Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration: My ethernet stopped working a week ago, my brother came home from overseas and he has a desktop PC set up so i don't know if that affects anything but I've tried everything the past week and nothing was fixed. The ethernet connection says "unidentified network" and running...
  8. Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration: I have Ethernet over power to a pc, and a laptop in another room, the laptop received the message the "Ethernet doesn't have a valid i p configuration". I tried all of Googles fix it tips but nothing has worked, I decided to plug a spare Ethernet cable into the router and...
  9. Ethernet doesn't have valid IP configuration

Ethernet doesn't have valid IP configuration: Hey, My gf's computer in her office (a school) was slow and riddled with viruses, so I had the bright idea to use the media creation tool to upgrade the machine to from win7 to win10 (x86) - clean install. Now, the ethernet that it was connected to before gives the error...
  10. "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration: So i decided to move on wired network connection for some reason and i can't make it work. To sum it up, i have a router that has 2 ports which offer 10mbps apparently and other 2 with 100mbps. I tried all 4 with a laptop and they work as expected ( same cable used ). Now,...