Windows 10: Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10

Discus and support Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not with every boot, but 1 of 3 in average. After upgrade from W8.1 explorer exe hangs with mouse right click when clicking on a folder in file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by splitsecond, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10

Not with every boot, but 1 of 3 in average. After upgrade from W8.1 explorer exe hangs with mouse right click when clicking on a folder in file explorer, does not hang when clicking on a file. Also working on desktop. A reboot will make the problem go away, but shut down hangs also, have to reset via power button. The problem does not occur with every boot. Would appreciate any help on this. MS tech support could not find any solution and it's crowded because of W10 upgrades.

Event ID log from application hang: The program explorer.exe version 10.0.10240.16431 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 2570
    Start Time: 01d0e24fdef25a3b
    Termination Time: 23
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: 257ee579-4e43-11e5-9bd1-c86000bc291c
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

:)

splitsecond, Aug 28, 2015

2. File Explorer hangs on Windows 10

I've discovered at least one cause of the hanging. It's an interaction between Carbonite, a remote backup system, and File Explorer.

Carbonite has several configurations for scheduling backups. One configuration blocks backups during certain hours of the day; another allows backups at all hours. I found that Explorer hangs sometimes when Carbonite is set to 'Do not backup during certain
    hours.' When I set Carbonite to 'Back up continuously,' File Explorer functions properly.

I discovered this by using Windows Task Manager to analyze the wait chain for explorer.exe after Explorer hung. When Carbonite was set to 'Do not backup during certain hours,' explorer.exe waited for Carbonite to complete. However, Carbonite didn't complete
    because it was set to wait, so explorer.ex waited as well. When I changed Carbonite to 'Back up continuously,' explorer.exe stopped waiting immediately and functioned properly.

Test this yourself the next time Explorer hangs. In Task Manager, right-click Windows Explorer and select 'Go to details.' Find explorer.exe, right-click it, and select 'Analyze wait chain.' Note that Explorer doesn't hang all the time, so there must be
    something else going on in addition to the Carbonite connection.

explorer.exe is set to Normal priority. I'm going to set it to High and see how that plays out.

MikeBGlenview, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    I cannot copy and paste on Windows 10. I can copy but am unable to paste. The right hand click on the mouse does not do anything

Hi!

Ctrl +C for copy, Ctrl + V for paste. Right click hardware may be broken. Your copy of W10 may be broken. My copy of W10, copies and pastes with mouse click, so there is nothing wrong with W10.

Teddy2016, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10

Hey mate,

run this scan: SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Make sure you have updated all drivers. Meaning you should go to your computer/motherboard manufacturer and get the most recent Win10 drivers. These are important to have installed.

DustSailor, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Hi, thanks for reply.

Unfortunately my motherboard does not have any specific W10 drivers (Asus has not released any), it's 2 years old.
    SFC scannow returns, can't fix all system files, which is weird cause after the upgrade did a clean install of W10. Many though have similar experiences.

splitsecond, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Hey mate,

Without the correct drivers, there will always be the chance that the computer stops responding. You will have to make the decision to stay with windows 10, or revert to the old install: Windows 10 - Go Back to Previous Windows - Windows 10 Forums

You can keep trying... Use that SFC scan again, and restart after each instance... 2 more times. Sometimes it takes that long. Other than that, there may be other experts who can walk you through more steps you may be able to take to make things run well enough.

DustSailor, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Just because it's new does not necessarily mean it's ok. You may want to run DISM command before sfc /scannow for the Windows component store may corrupted. scannow cannot fix anything if it is corrupted. It also may take 2 or 3 tries scannow to fix files.

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10

Have tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the same problem occurs?

9. YOU
    You Win User
    It could be a corrupt context menu option, so if that's the case, a computer refresh/reset should easily resolve it. If 're not comfortable with doing that, download CCleaner, go to the Tools, go to Startup, go to Context Menu, then remove some stuff under "Directory" and "Folder" that think could be causing the problem.
    Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10 [​IMG]

10. Thanks for reply. Ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and it completed successfully. The problem is also that the error is not on every boot. Sometimes the explorer.exe hang problem occurs once per 2 days. Not had the chance yet to boot into safe mode etc. Have read about context menu corruption but have not succeeded to solve it that way either. Running SFC scannow, to check if something has changed. After DISM the SFC scannow is OK, it repaired some files.

splitsecond, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Please run it till it says nothing needs a repair (a restart after each one). Up to 3 times until clear or it says no more about repair.

DustSailor, Aug 29, 2015
  12. SFC scannow returns with nothing to fix. Have to follow up a few days to see if the problem has been fixed or not. A couple of reboots and have not experienced the hangup, maybe it's fixed-or not. As said have to run Windows for a few days. Thanks for help. If it's solved have to give credit to someone for fixing the issue...?

splitsecond, Aug 29, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

splitsecond, chances this can be your issue as third party software puts items in your context menu when you right click causing issues to explorer.exe common issue in past. Use CCleaner disable one at a time. One other choice is clean boot see if it happens there, this is if still have issues and SFC or Dism could not help you. Happens in clean boot could also be some conflict with a running process from third party application. http://windowsinstructed.com/clean-b...ndows-windows/

jds63, Aug 29, 2015
  14. Tony K Win User
    Hopefully that did it for you. If you choose to, you may rep members by clicking on the thumb up icon on the lower left of anyone's post.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2015
  15. You fixed the issue. We just acted as guides *Wink

DustSailor, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Explorer.exe hangs with mouse right click W10 - Similar Threads - Explorer exe hangs

2. W10 File Explorer hangs on "working on it" + right click menu "open with" crashes explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 File Explorer hangs on "working on it" + right click menu "open with" crashes explorer.exe: Hi. A month ago I built a new PC and this is my first time working with Windows 10. Since then, I'll occasionally have a problem pop up with the file explorer after a few days of uptime. These are the problems that come up when things start glitching: 1. Folders will take...
  3. W10 File Explorer hangs on "working on it" + right click menu "open with" crashes explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 File Explorer hangs on "working on it" + right click menu "open with" crashes explorer.exe: Hi. A month ago I built a new PC and this is my first time working with Windows 10. Since then, I'll occasionally have a problem pop up with the file explorer after a few days of uptime. These are the problems that come up when things start glitching: 1. Folders will take...
  4. W10 File Explorer hangs on "working on it" + right click menu "open with" crashes explorer.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976417/high-cpu-usage-in-the-explorer-exe-process-when-you-open-a-folder-that This problem was allegedly fixed with Windows 10, but that's not the case on my machine. Explorer will hang mf.dll when trying to read metadata on a .wav...
  6. Right click hangs computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click hangs computer: All of a sudden, when I right click on a shortcut, the system hangs, and I have to restart the desktop. I have booted to safe mode and the same thing happens. I can right click in an open space and create a new folder etc. I just can not right click a shortcut. Windows 10...
  7. Windows File Explorer Right Mouse Click

Windows File Explorer Right Mouse Click: I have just upgraded my system to win 10 release 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and all appeared to be working. I found an issue with File Explorer - if I try to "right Click" on a drive letter in the left panel File Explorer closes (all task bar items also get disappear for a few...
  8. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  9. Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.

Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.: Hi, I've been having this issue since yesterday. When I try to open the context menu for an executable to, let´s say, launch it as administrator, the cursor appears as loading and the context menu won't appear. I can right-click folders and images, my problem seems to be only...
  10. explorer crashes on right mouse click

explorer crashes on right mouse click: File Explorer crashes when right mouse button is clicked to bring up sub menu. Also crashes randomly when drives are accessed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-crashes-on-right-mouse-click/dae788e5-919f-4044-8bfa-7de288b564f2
Tags: