Windows 10: Exporting VM with hyper-v

Discus and support Exporting VM with hyper-v in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Aug 12, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Exporting VM with hyper-v

When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original?

I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it basically the same for Hyper-v?

:)

cereberus, Aug 12, 2016
  2. SarahKong Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machine not recognised

The folder where your VM is do you see a .vhd file?

Here is a great article step by step on how to import VM into hyper-v.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/conte...

SarahKong, Aug 12, 2016
  3. RFT OB1 Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    In Hyper-V it works just like a real machine using Macrium Reflect.

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    I understand how to do it - my question is if the backup retains the same virtual hardware id as original when you import the backup.

If not the backup copy could become deactivated if using digital licences as windows will think it is a new machine. I do not want to use RS1 transfer ability as that only can be done a limited number of times.

I guess I will just have to experiment.

cereberus, Aug 12, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I'm not good at explaining some things, that's why we have Kari.
    I understand the stuff and pick it up fast, but to put what I know, into words, is sometimes hard for me.
    @Kari use VM's daily, and has told me to use the export, so if I really screw up, or get infected, ransomed...etc. I have my machine still and the activation.
    Is this what you are asking?
    Or have I misunderstood something?
    Also in the Video thread, Kari has wiped the VM's disk, then clean installed into ´same VM some so the ID and Digital License remains.
    Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 113 - Windows 10 Forums

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

VM's may or may not require re-activation when you move them on to new hardware -- I'm not sure what the criterion is --sometimes you "get lucky" other times you get a prompt -- and then if you are still "lucky" it will activate.

I suppose it depends on how "para-virtualized" the VM is - and how much the VM is using REAL rather than "Virtualised" hardware.

I'd just try it and see -- you don't lose activation of your original VM.

Ms has never been particularly happy with VM's - but It would be really nice to get say an "Individual developers" license where you could get a load of activations while testing stuff - and this should be at an affordable price for individuals and hobbyists - not some mega expensive corporate licensing deal or even an OEM deal - both too expensive for "casual" developers. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

Seems Hyper-V can behave similar to changing UUID in VMware's .vmx - just needs to be done via WMI.

http://monox.mono-software.com/blog/post/Mono/142/Setting-hardware-UUID-in-Hyper-V-and-ProxMox/

Superfly, Aug 12, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    Exporting a Hyper-V vm keeps everything, GUID always remains the same, original. It's the importing that determines if old GUID and for instance activation will be kept or not.

If imported registering vm in-place or restoring vm, GUID is kept (green highlight in screenshot below). If importing copying vm a new GUID will be created (red highlight). See tutorial Method One Step 6 for explanation for these three import methods: Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Import in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Exporting VM with hyper-v [​IMG]

[youtube]dXBwylFs-Wg[/youtube]

10. Cliff S New Member
    Damn! I forgot that you told me about that.
    I should have remembered, but such things, I remember only as I do them.
    Would rep you, but I got to spread the love first*Wink

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Thanks guys - I understand now.

Marked as solved.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Exporting VM with hyper-v - Similar Threads - Exporting hyper

2. Windows microsoft whiteboard cannot export an image or pdf file?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows microsoft whiteboard cannot export an image or pdf file?: Hi,Last week, I could put many images or PDF files on the whiteboard, but I can't now. The error message below appears after I select a photo or PDF file. The image was a PNG file. What do you suggest I do to fix this problem?...
  3. Windows microsoft whiteboard cannot export an image or pdf file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows microsoft whiteboard cannot export an image or pdf file?: Hi,Last week, I could put many images or PDF files on the whiteboard, but I can't now. The error message below appears after I select a photo or PDF file. The image was a PNG file. What do you suggest I do to fix this problem?...
  4. Windows microsoft whiteboard cannot export an image or pdf file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I export to Excel the names and page counts of Word documents in a very large sized...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I export to Excel the names and page counts of Word documents in a very large sized...: I need to capture the page count of all of the Word documents within a folder. I was able to add page count within the folder. I have copied the path and pasted it to Google chrome to get a list of the Word document names which I then copy/paste to Excel. Unfortunately, for...
  6. How do I print/export complete Device Manager reports in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I print/export complete Device Manager reports in Windows 11?: Hi, The results of searching for the above exact title found various links but none of the options match either of our 2 family PCs. For example, this...
  7. How to import, export, or clone Virtual Machines in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 News
    How to import, export, or clone Virtual Machines in Hyper-V: [IMG]This article helps you import, export, or clone virtual machines in Hyper-V on Windows 11/10. At times, you might want to move your virtual machine to another computer and start using it immediately. In such moments, you could use this guide to import, export, and close...
  8. How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?: I'm trying to export a Hyper-V VM from one system to the network share located on another system. Both systems are Windows 10 Pro 20H2. When I attempt to do this from the Hyper-V manager I get the following error: An error occurred while attempting to export the virtual...
  9. Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Export Win10 Hyper-V VM and import into Server 2016: I am having trouble moving a VM from windows 10 to Server 2016. I have updated Win 10 to 20H2 and applied all available windows updates. I created a VM on Win 10, exported it, and then copied to a server 2016 computer with Hyper-V installed but it does not present as...
  10. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
Tags: