Windows 10: Ext hard disk suddenly not detected, shows up in devices and printers

Discus and support Ext hard disk suddenly not detected, shows up in devices and printers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello My WD external hard disk is not showing up in My Computer, its light is continuously on (not blinking) but it shows up in the control panel ->... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by armaan8014, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Ext hard disk suddenly not detected, shows up in devices and printers

Hello
    My WD external hard disk is not showing up in My Computer, its light is continuously on (not blinking) but it shows up in the control panel -> Devices and printers.
    At one point the led light had begun to blink normally, and that is when it showed up in devices and printers with the proper icon. Prior to that it had a default icon.
    Here's an image of how it looks on the disk management and the control panel Imgur
    In disk management it says unknown, not initialized. The I have tried using this in multiple laptops and it isn't getting recognized anywhere. It isn't being recognized by recovery softwares either
    I had plugged this hard drive into a sound bar to play a movie off of, after which I plugged it into a TV for the same purpose, as the sound bar wouldn't recognize it. I'm suspecting this may have caused the issue. I didn't drop the hard disk.
    The data on it is very important, so I really need to recover it.
    Thanks for the help!

:)

armaan8014, Jun 9, 2017
  2. Code64 Win User

USB pendrive not showing up

I recently tried to format a USB Hard drive. The operation failed and showed the message "Windows is not able to format." Then suddenly the device disappeared from the list of Local disks under "Disk management." From that time, my device does not appear
    under "Disk Management" as a Local disk. The "Device Manager App" shows "USB Mass storage device" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." Its properties are also shown right. It is detected as a device under "Devices and Printers" application also.

I have other USB Hard drives that are working fine on my computer. I do not understand why.

I contacted Sandisk support and they directed me to contact Lenovo support(my PC manufacturer) to download drivers for USB where I saw that no drivers were found for my PC model(Lenovo Thinkpad Twist) for Windows 10.

Please provide me information on how can I access the external hard drive now?

Code64, Jun 9, 2017
  3. Portable hard drive not detected

I've a Seagate Back-up plus 1 TB external portable hard disk. After the partitioning it is not detected in both 'My Computer' and Disk Management. However it is listed in 'Device Manager' and 'Devices and Printers'. Please help me in this regard to resolve
    the issue.

DurgeshTripathi, Jun 9, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Ext hard disk suddenly not detected, shows up in devices and printers

Welcome to the forum. It can be faulty usb on the pc, faulty usb on th enclosure or usb cable or the drive could have died. Have you got another pc and cable you can try it on?

Samuria, Jun 10, 2017
  5. Yes, I have also tried using a different cable, and tried plugging it into different laptops.
    Also, the hard disk is not making any clicking sounds. It sounds like it is spinning normally.

armaan8014, Jun 10, 2017
  6. jumanji Win User
    "My WD external hard disk" . I only get to know the manufacturer. Model Number? Model Name: like My Book/Elements/Passport/ Passport ultra ? Capacity??? Please provide all information.

" It isn't being recognized by recovery softwares either" What softwares have you tried?

Which TV did you connect it to? A smart TV ? LG ? Samsung ? Have you played it on this TV before? Did you try to record anything or just tried to play?

All this info may be necessary for the folks here to understand the problem first and suggest a feasible solution.

Screenshots : Post it to Ten Forum servers.

Take Screenshot in Windows 10

How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

Now go ahead and post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management.

Also download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free v 9.1 from here http://www.filehorse.com/download-pa.../old-versions/ ( Uninstall v10/v10.1/v 10.2.1 that wouldn't help Partition Recovery Free)

Post a screenshot of the first screen that appears when you launch it showing your drives.

jumanji, Jun 10, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    As suggested, in Disk Management, in the lower pane, is your WD drive showing? Does it say the file system is Unallocated Space? Or does it say on the Disk# (ie) Disk1, Disk2 etc the drive is Not Initialized?
    If the former, then the drives Table of Contents are missing. You can use the Free TestDisk program to recover your files. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to..

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Ext hard disk suddenly not detected, shows up in devices and printers

1. Ext hard disk suddenly not detected, shows up in devices and printers - Similar Threads - Ext hard disk

2. Hard disk shows up in device manager but doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk shows up in device manager but doesn't work: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045Acer Aspire A515-51G System modelThis laptop includes two drives a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I am unable to use the HDD. In the 'This Pc' of the file explorer, there is only the smaller SSD drive. I have checked my Device...
  3. Hard disk shows up in device manager but doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk shows up in device manager but doesn't work: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045Acer Aspire A515-51G System modelThis laptop includes two drives a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I am unable to use the HDD. In the 'This Pc' of the file explorer, there is only the smaller SSD drive. I have checked my Device...
  4. Hard disk shows up in device manager but doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard disk not detected

Hard disk not detected: WD my passport ultra is not detected in the surface 6. I checked it at device mgmt but not showing then checked it through command prompt it not showing. However once it showed the message that " Last USB device you connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise...
  6. External Hard disk not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard disk not showing up: I've 4tb seagate backup plus hard disk which has 2 partitions out of which one partition with 2tb is bitlocker protected. I've initiated removal of encryption of that 2 tb hard disk but it stuck at 46% and after that disk is ejected automatically. Now I'm not able to see...
  7. Printer not showing up in devices and printers

Printer not showing up in devices and printers: My printer does not show up in Devices and Printers. However, when I print from my applications, I can find the printer and it works fine. I want to make my printer the default printer, but have no way to do that. Can you help?...
  8. Printer Not showing up in Devices in settings

Printer Not showing up in Devices in settings: I had a printer that was not functioning properly, so I removed it, planning to reinstall. When I tried to reinstall the drivers, it said the drivers were already there, and recommended using them. I clicked ok. The printer never showed up in my list of printers. I tried...
  9. Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management

Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management: I have a few months old Seagate 2tb HDD that just today began to not show up in my drives in file explorer. After screwing with SATA and power cables (to no prevail). It was previously assigned a letter and didn't show any sign of failure, any help?...
  10. External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer

External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer: Hi everyone, I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra external hard disk and it was reading and writing fine until i tried to use that hard disk as a virtual drive for fresh installing Windows 10 in my laptop. I have downloaded Media Creation Tool to create bootable installation...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. portable drives shows in device and printers only

2. external hard drive showing in devices and printers windows 10