Windows 10: Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Libraries in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ksdixon, Jun 21, 2015.

1. ksdixon Win User

Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Libraries in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10

Libraries gather added folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show Libraries in the navigation pane of File Explorer for only your account in Windows 10.

*note If you turn on Show all folders in the navigation pane, Libraries will always show in the navigation pane.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Navigation Pane
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Options
    • Option Three: To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Four: To Hide or Show Libraries using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Libraries showing in navigation pane of File Explorer

Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Navigation Pane
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Right click or press and hold on an empty area of the navigation pane on the left side, and do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot below)

3. To Show Libraries in Navigation Pane
    A) Click/tap on Show libraries to check it.
    4. To Hide Libraries in Navigation Pane
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Show libraries to uncheck it.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Options
    1. Open File Explorer Options.

2 Click/tap on the View tab, and do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot below)

A) Check Show libraries, and click/tap on OK.
    A) Uncheck Show libraries, and click/tap on OK.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, click/tap on the Navigation pane button in the ribbon, and do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot below)

A) Click/tap on Show libraries to check it.
    A) Click/tap on Show libraries to uncheck it.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Hide or Show Libraries using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}

System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree DWORD

0 = Hide Libraries
    1 = Show Libraries

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Libraries in Navigation Pane
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Libraries_in_Navigation_Pane.reg

Download
    3. To Hide Libraries in Navigation Pane
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Hide_Libraries_in_Navigation_Pane.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. If open, close and reopen File Explorer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ksdixon, Jun 21, 2015

2. The Library folder

I think the following will get you what you want/where you need to go:

... please come back and let everyone know how you fair.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 21, 2015
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Windows 10 Desktop, Unable to remove Homegroup or Libraries icons

Hi,

Good to know that worked, please try these steps to hide libraries :

Note: This is default settings and not recommended as it contains your document, pictures, videos ,music files.

To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Navigation Pane

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right click or press and hold on an empty area of the navigation pane on the left side
    • Click/tap on Show libraries to uncheck it.
    To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Options

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click/tap on the View tab
    • Locate Navigation pane
    • Uncheck Show libraries, and click/tap on OK.
    To Hide or Show Libraries in File Explorer Ribbon

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click/tap on the View tab,
    • Go to Option
    • Click on Change folder and search option
    • Go to View
    • Locate the Navigation pane
    • Uncheck on Show libraries to uncheck it.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Jun 21, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 21, 2015
  5. ksdixon Win User
    Got it. I found my old instructions on how to remove Libraries from the Win8 navigation pane when Show All Folders is ticked. So far they work in Win10 Tech Preview build 10130

LIBRARIES
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder

TAKE CONTROL OF SHELLFOLDER
    Permissions
    Security Tab > Advanced
    System > Change
    Advanced > Find Now
    Select Karl > OK
    Replace Owner on Subitems > OK
    Administrators/Karl > Full Control > OK

Attributes > Modify
    Add: b080010d
    Remove: b090010d
    Restart Explorer

ksdixon, Jun 21, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would do so for all users instead of just your account.

For your original Recycle Bin question, you can use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to add Recycle Bin to the navigation pane in Windows 10 without "Show all folders". *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 21, 2015
  7. ksdixon Win User
    Ah, brilliant. Adding the Recycle Bin to 'not showing all folders' view means less registry editing for me.

Would there be a way to stop folders from automatically being added to Quick Access?
    #I only really want to see Folders I pin to Quick Access, and the Recent Files I've used.

ksdixon, Jun 21, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 21, 2015
  9. Zardoc Win User
    Just a quick note,

Libraries activation box has been moved in 10240.

Zardoc, Jul 20, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you.

Interesting. I wonder why Microsoft removed the setting from there. Tutorial updated. *Smile

Brink, Jul 20, 2015
  11. Zardoc Win User
    You're more than welcome *Wink

Zardoc, Jul 20, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'd suggest forget about Libraries altogether -- use Storage spaces instead -- much more flexible and you can aggregate as many volumes as you like OF DIFFERENT CAPACITIES to create one or more storage spaces which each act as a single volume however large the size is.

very useful for large capacity multi-media libraries which you now don't have to restrict to single volumes.

W7 and XP can READ / WRITE to these too although you can only create in W8 and later.

You can also specify space to be reserved as recovery area too if you are worried about aggregating volumes.

Manage by control panel --->storage spaces

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jimbo,

I'm not sure what you mean. Libraries are just an access point for a collection of added locations. A library is not actually the storage location, but a way to access many storage locations in one place. A storage space could even be added to a library. *Smile

Brink, Jul 20, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

the advantage of Storage spaces is that it doesn't matter on what physical volume data is stored -- you can add as many volumes as you like.

A problem with libraries is that it's much more difficult to keep logical track of your data.

With a Storage space for example you could have a collection of say 9 HDD's giving you 15 TB of space -- you can then make as many directory entries as you want. If you start running out of space say on a music library you just dynamically add another volume. !!!

A storage space is simply an aggregated pool of HDD's (any size) that windows simply treats (file explorer etc) as a single Volume say "F" in my previous post above.

A lot of software goes bonkers if you try and extend over 1 volume - particularly proprietary photo / music / video data bases. With Storage spaces that doesn't matter any more.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I like Storage Spaces as well, but Storage Spaces and Libraries are two completely different items that serve different purposes.

You can say the same about all that for libraries, except Storage Spaces is the actual storage location where a library is just a way to access the actual storage locations you added in one place. You can set a default public and private save location for the library.

Brink, Jul 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Hide or Show Libraries in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show Libraries

2. How to hide the navigation pane in the file dialog

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to hide the navigation pane in the file dialog: How to hide navigation pane in file open/save/save as dialog File Explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-hide-the-navigation-pane-in-the-file-dialog/8a8f7cee-1138-46c9-8d21-4b6227fa9bf0
  3. How to Show or Hide File Explorer Navigation Pane in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Show or Hide File Explorer Navigation Pane in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]On Windows 11 or Windows 10, PC users can customize File Explorer to their preference. You can show or hide Quick access and Favorites from navigation pane, show the Preview Pane for Explorer, show Details pane in File Explorer. In this post, we will show you how to...
  4. How to Show/Hide Navigation Pane in Windows 11 Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Show/Hide Navigation Pane in Windows 11 Explorer: It must be me.I hid the Navigation pane in Explore and want ot show it now.But, for the life of me I can't find the option.I've clicked 'View' tab, which is where I thought it was, but it's not there.James...
  5. How to Show/Hide Navigation Pane in Windows 11 Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Show/Hide Navigation Pane in Windows 11 Explorer: It must be me.I hid the Navigation pane in Explore and want ot show it now.But, for the life of me I can't find the option.I've clicked 'View' tab, which is where I thought it was, but it's not there.James...
  6. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane: New tutorial all finished. *Smile *Arrow Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer Windows 10 Tutorials
  7. Remove/Hide folders in navigation pane in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove/Hide folders in navigation pane in Windows Explorer: Hi, I read the tutorial about Libraries, which doesn't cover my question. I do not use the Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos folders and I 'd like to get them off the navigation pane, is there a way to do that? 78713
  8. Hide or Show a Library in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show a Library in Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show a Library in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show a Library in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [img] Information remove folders and drives to be included in a library as you like. Windows 10 has the Videos libraries by default....
  9. Move Libraries Above This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Libraries Above This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Move Libraries Above This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Move Libraries Above or Below This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [img] Information Libraries gather added folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one...
  10. Show or Hide Navigation Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Navigation Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Show or Hide Navigation Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use the navigation pane in File Explorer to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC, Network, and Homegroup. You can also move or copy items directly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show libraries in navigation pane