Windows 10: External hard drive not showing

Discus and support External hard drive not showing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've connected an external Samsung USB hard drive (not a stick) to my fully updated Win 10 PC and it doesn't show up in File manager.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tallonius, Jan 8, 2018.

1. tallonius Win User

External hard drive not showing

Hi,

I've connected an external Samsung USB hard drive (not a stick) to my fully updated Win 10 PC and it doesn't show up in File manager.

I've gone into Device manager and it shows it as:
    'Samsung M3 Portable SCSI Disk Device'

but it's not a SCSI drive.

I tried updating the driver but Windows says it's using the best driver already. This looks like a Windows issue, so what else can I do to force it to recognise the drive?

Thanks.

:)

tallonius, Jan 8, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

External Hard Drive Not Showing

Did anyone actually look at the screenshots you provided?

Your drive is showing in Disk Management, it is showing up as Drive 1, 1TB and as unallocated space

You will not be able to assign a drive letter no matter what you do . . .

If this is a new hard drive, you need to create a new NTFS partition on the unallocated space and then the drive will worn and have a drive letter automatically assigned to it

If it is not a new drive, then something has gone wrong and the partition has been wiped out. You will need to use 3rd party software to try to recover the missing partition and hopefully your data . .

I use AOMEI Partition assistant for this type of job, it is fully featured and does a good job, though there is plenty of free software available online

To download the free version of AOMEI:

https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-m...

Here is an article on how to use AOMEI Partition Assistant to recover files from your hard drvie:

https://www.disk-partition.com/recovery/AOMEI-f...

DaveM121, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Jahan-K Win User
    External Hard Drive Not Showing

Thanks for your responses guys. Following what Andre

suggested, I actually realised that it does NOT show up in Disk Management. It does show up in Device Manager.

Also, I checked for both Windows updates and BIOS update and my system is up to date.

I used to be able to use this hard drive, but Windows always asked me to Scan it to Fix an issues and I always hit NO. Recently, I broke the power jack and had to buy a new USB to SATA Power Adapter. That's what I'm using now.

I also tried to update the Driver but got this message: "the best drivers for your device are already installed"

Not using any 3rd party anti-virus.

Here are the screenshots:

2017-11-11_1312

2017-11-11_1312

2017-11-11_1313

2017-11-11_1314

Jahan-K, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

You can try uninstalling it in Device Manager and see if it will recognise it correctly the next time. You could also try it in another port (after uninstalling it). If you have a choice, try in a usb2 port.

Bree, Jan 8, 2018
  5. essenbe Win User
    Try right clicking the start flag and select disk management. It should hopefully show there without a drive letter. If it does, right click the drive in the bottom portion of the window, select 'Change Drive Letter or path', the next screen click add and give it a drive letter. Then it should show in File explorer. Hopefully that is your problem.

If it wants to 'initialize' the drive, doing so will erase all data on the drive.

essenbe, Jan 8, 2018
  6. jumanji Win User
    jumanji, Jan 8, 2018
  7. tallonius Win User
    Thanks, I've tried uninstalling it in Device manager - made no difference. This is what my Disk management panel has on it:

External hard drive not showing [​IMG]

tallonius, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Your Disk 4 is presumably the drive you are talking about. It has no drive letter, as essenbe correctly predicted in post #3.

You can right-click on it in Disk Management and assign it a letter. Then you should see it in File Manager.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External hard drive not showing - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. external hard drive not showing up on windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not showing up on windows: Hello I format a external hard drive with Mac book.I need to copy some documents from Mac book.but after that I cannot read it from my windows computer.I can see the windows already recognize it, but it is only shows as "devices and USB"cannot read it as a external...
  3. External Hard Drive NOT showing everything

in Windows 10 Support
    External Hard Drive NOT showing everything: Darn if it is NOT one thing it is another. I have a small external hard drive that I save Ebooks on. It is about one half full. This morning all of a sudden it is only showing folders A-J. How do I get it to show everything folders A-Z? Thanks 183336
  4. External USB hard drive not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  5. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  6. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  7. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  8. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434