Windows 10: Extra Partition

Discus and support Extra Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? [img] The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BillS22, Dec 17, 2015.

1. BillS22 Win User

Extra Partition

I think I have an extra partition.
    Can I remove it?

Extra Partition [​IMG]

The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition.
    Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got the 450MB partition which is marked Recovery Partition.

I'm thinking I can delete the 500MB partition?

Thanks for your advice

:)

BillS22, Dec 17, 2015

2. Extra Drives and Partitions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to know about what will happen to the files and programs installed on your computer, after you upgrade to Windows 10.

I would like to inform you that the files and programs installed on your computer will not get effected, when you upgrade to Windows 10. However to be on safer side, I suggest you to take backup of your data before upgrading to
    Windows 10.

Note: If you perform Clean installation on your computer to upgrade to Windows 10, all the data on your hard drive shall be lost.

I suggest you to refer the Windows 10 Microsoft help, to know more about Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Get Started with Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Extra Drives and Partitions

Upgrading to windows 10

I have a C drive with the Operating System, Programs and some other normal file folders both personal and system.

I also have a D drive that is partitioned into 8 other logical drives that are dedicated to topical data storage. Such as Finance, Family, Home, Work etc

I also have a Network drive on the router that is used as backup.

Is it expected that this drive structure will migrate successfully with the Windows 10 upgrade or do I need to do something extraordinary?

countycook, Dec 17, 2015
  4. BillS22 Win User

Extra Partition

The 46.19GB partition is my SSD OP partition.

BillS22, Dec 17, 2015
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    It appears that the 500 MB partition is the System partition that contains the boot files for the OS on C:. Delete this partition and the OS will not boot. In any event 500 MB is too small to be of any real use.

LMiller7, Dec 17, 2015
  6. BillS22 Win User
    I agree. The 450mb partition appeared after my windows reinstall. Thanks

BillS22, Dec 18, 2015
  7. DavidE Win User
    The screen print in post #1 does not have fields expanded, so no telling what all the info is.
    See this tutorial for how to post a proper Disk Management screen print:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

I don't know what you mean by SSD OP partition.
    The 46.19 GB space is unallocated, so it's not a useable Windows partition.

DavidE, Dec 18, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Extra Partition

This makes no sense. It is unallocated, available space.

9. BunnyJ New Member
    One way to clean that mess up is to back up everything you need off of it and perform a clean instillation. At that time you can delete all of those partition and start from a clean more organized slate.

My 2c
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 18, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    It does make sense because it is a feature for over provisioning.

topgundcp, Dec 18, 2015
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    OK, now I see. Was not able to decypher the "OP". But that makes sense.

12. DavidE Win User
    Maybe, but the OP specs don't show if it's a SSD or HD.

Also there is this statement in post #1, and could make a difference, on what was done and happened.

DavidE, Dec 18, 2015
  13. Word Man Win User

Extra Partition

You should confirm which is your active Recovery Partition by executing "reagentc /info" from an elevated command prompt (admin). The partition it names as your WinRE partition is the keeper. You can delete or ignore the other.

Note - "keeper" is the term I use to identify the active WinRE partition that I assume you do want to keep. If you delete that one, you won't have access to Windows Recovery Environment tools.

I certainly would have a full disk image on external media captured before doing any partition modifications.

Word Man, Dec 18, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    He said it clearly in post #2 the partition for OP (Over Provisioning). And he used Samsung Magician to set up that feature.

topgundcp, Dec 18, 2015
  15. DavidE Win User
    Ah, i missed that *Redface, but i still don't see where Samsung Magician is mentioned.

DavidE, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Extra Partition

1. Extra Partition - Similar Threads - Extra Partition

2. How to delete extra empty EFI Partition on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete extra empty EFI Partition on Windows 11: So, I installed Ubuntu alongside my Windows 11 OS on my D drive just for practice. I'm now trying to uninstall it and I'm almost done, but I'm trying to delete this last EFI partition on my D drive which wasn't there prior to the ubuntu install.My windows EFI partition on my...
  3. How to delete extra empty EFI Partition on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete extra empty EFI Partition on Windows 11: So, I installed Ubuntu alongside my Windows 11 OS on my D drive just for practice. I'm now trying to uninstall it and I'm almost done, but I'm trying to delete this last EFI partition on my D drive which wasn't there prior to the ubuntu install.My windows EFI partition on my...
  4. How to install windows 10 on a gpt partition without any other extra partitions?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install windows 10 on a gpt partition without any other extra partitions?: Basically just a single partition if possible please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-windows-10-on-a-gpt-partition/e84da07d-c585-456d-b606-8e3353ffbd73
  5. Upgrading W10 Pro 1909 to 20H2 creates an extra partition on my SSD

Upgrading W10 Pro 1909 to 20H2 creates an extra partition on my SSD: Just upgraded my ThinkPad T450s from 1909 to Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) allowing Windows to do its own thing through Windows Update - no major problems, just typical niggles. However, I seem to have an extra partition on my 1 TB Crucial SSD I've created images...
  6. Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.: After installing/trying multiple distros I have a lot of EFI/Recovery partitions in my Drive, I want to delete all but the windows one as I looking to clean/organize my drive. submitted by /u/ArVtheBest [link] [comments]...
  7. Do I have extra hidden partitions

Do I have extra hidden partitions: This drive is currently an SSD, but has been migrated from a spinner. The image goes back to Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 Retail, and I'm wondering if I have some hidden partitions that I don't need. I don't recall actually creating a recovery partition, since...
  8. Extra partitions

Extra partitions: I have upgraded Windows 10 multiple times from previous builds to current 1903. I see multiple hidden partitions have been created over the upgrades, and read that most of these are Recovery partitions. I know the first 450 MB one is the one created during the first...
  9. Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition?

Just installed Win 10. Did I wind up with an extra unknown partition?: I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 to a fresh SSD. When I look at the drive in disk management I get three partitions as shown below: [img] However, when I use Macrium Reflect to create a backup image I get four partitions as shown here: [img] The system seems...
  10. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...