Windows 10: Factory Image Restore Option Missing After BCDEDIT Windows 10 Home 64

Discus and support Factory Image Restore Option Missing After BCDEDIT Windows 10 Home 64 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As the title suggest, I no longer see the option "Factory Image Restore" in the Advanced Boot Windows 10. Laptop Dell Inspiron 7559 Processor:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dsar, Nov 7, 2016.

1. dsar Win User

Factory Image Restore Option Missing After BCDEDIT Windows 10 Home 64

As the title suggest, I no longer see the option "Factory Image Restore" in the Advanced Boot Windows 10.

Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 7559
    Processor: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor 2.6GHz
    Memorry: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GB x 1)
    Graphic Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M, 4GB GDDR5 video memory

Back Story

• Two days ago I tried to install hackintosh on the laptop while Windows 10 Home is intact. I installed it in a different partition on the same harddrive. So the Windows was at C and the Mac OS Sierra was at E while D is used for data storage.
    • In the process of installation, I press F4 while highlighting the Mac OS installation and then tried to boot it. But I couldn't boot it. The hackintosh failed.
    • I gave up, and then boot from the Windows 10 but it also failed. It showed that there is no bootable device.
    • I made a usb bootable windows 10 to recover the bcd using the command prompt option in the installation but it still failed to boot.
    • I ended up installing the new windows 10 on the E drive (wiping out the failed hackintosh). After doing this, I succeeded.
    • I am able to boot to the new windows as well as the old windows.

To keep things clean, I want to do a factory image restore. The problem is that because I used bcdedit before (see 4), I couldn't find the option to do the factory image restore.

I read online that I can fix the bcd using the visual bcd editor. I have no clue how to use it.

Here's a screenshot of the bcd visual editor on my computer.

Factory Image Restore Option Missing After BCDEDIT Windows 10 Home 64 [​IMG]

I wanted to be able to do a factory image restore.

How can I do this using BCD Visual Editor?

Thanks in advanced.

:)

dsar, Nov 7, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

Downgrade from 10 to 8.1 Gone Wrong (PLEASE HELP!!!)

You cannot use an 8.0 key to activate 8.1. You should have checked the manufacturer site for older drivers before the downgrade.

You cannot use a key from a computer presupplied with Windows on a different computer, the OEM license is only valid for the original computer.

Factory restore should not need internet access provided you have not erased the recovery image. The factory image is complete as it is, any upgrades missing would be applied after restore is complete.

The Windows 10 license is built into the computer. If you cannot get factory restore to work use another computer to download the Windows 10 image in much the same way as you did for Windows 8.1. You must get the right one for your license (Home, Pro, 64/32
    bit)

You can then download the drivers from Acer, if the network does not work again you would need to download them on another computer and use a USB key to install them.

HairyFool, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Please help me in restoring my Alienware Laptop using Factory Image from the Recovery Partition

I am using Alienware 15 R2 (Nvidia GTX 980m version) with Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

I tried to restore my OS partiition using System Image Backup (created by me-clone of the OS partition-Windows 7 feature) and it was stuck in the middle showing some error message.

I am not able to boot to desktop or use Reset This PC option (gives an error after starting) on the laptop.

So I had to reinstall windows on the hard disk (Previous OS is on SSD) and again reinstall it on SSD (had to install it twice because I had some issues with the type of partition-GPT/UEFI) using Windows Installation media.

Now I have Windows 10 Home (non Factory) on SSD (installed in UEFI mode) and the empty hard disk (NTFS).

I also have a hidden Recovery Partition (part of dSSD) which contains the factory image files.

I do not know to to use that Recovery Partition to restore my laptop to the factory state.

It contains the following files:

bootment.xml

diskpart.txt

DK-EXC.exe

EFI.wim

install.swm

install2.swm

install3.swm

install4.swm

oobe.wim

resetconfig.xml

How to use these WIM files to reinstall factory OS?

Please help me restore my system to the factory state

Yagna Teja Reddy, Nov 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Please post a screenshot of disk manage, and please expand (widen) the columns so we can see all the info in the columns:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

Also, right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and run the following command:

reagentc /info

Example:
    Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: fcaab80d-8717-11e6-843d-aa73efa5da58 Recovery image location: Recovery image index: 0 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Nov 7, 2016
  5. dsar Win User
    Hi Navy,

Thank you for replying.

Here is the screenshot of my Disk Management

and here's the reagentc

It shown as disabled *Sad

Thank you in advanced.

dsar, Nov 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I would do, it it were me. Read my quote in the middle of the OP here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Replace the boot.wim file on your Windows 10 installation USB flash drive with boot.wim from Kyhi's recovery tools. Boot the computer from that into Kyhi's recovery tools. There is a partition wizard program included in Kyhi's recovery tools, can't remember exactly which one at the moment. Use the partitioning program to delete the last two partitions on the hard drive. Move your data partition to the end of the hard drive (and you can resize it then too, if you want). Delete all the partitions on the hard drive in front of the data partition. Run setup.exe on the USB flash drive from within Kyhi's recovery tools and do a clean install of Windows 10 to the unallocated space that will be in front of your data partition.

The other alternative you have is to find the WindowsRE image which will be winre.wim and the system restore image (probably install.wim) if it exists and then use reagentc commands to set the locations to the winre.wim and install.wim. You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard free to explore the partitions on your hard drive which will explore that last partition that does not have a drive letter and will also display the hidden and system folders on any partition. winre.wim is probably in a hidden system folder.
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

That second alternative is complicated, and not 100% guaranteed to work. I would cleanup the hard drive by deleting all partitions except for the data partition and move the data partition to the end of the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2016
  7. dsar Win User
    Will I get the factory image from Dell out of this?

dsar, Nov 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If you do the second complicated alternative you might. If you do happen to find the factory recovery image, there might be multiple indexes in the image and you will have to figure out which index is the correct one. Index 1 might be for Pro, index 2 might be for Home, for example. Once you mess up the marker to the factory recovery image, it's pretty difficult to restore, and there is no guarantee the factory restore image can even be used by Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2016
  9. dsar Win User
    Oh my .. hmmm

I appreciate your help guru, I'm just going to order the recovery from dell.

Thank you very much *Smile

dsar, Nov 8, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    If a clean install is working and all the hardware has drivers, why waste the money on purchasing the recovery from Dell? And if the computer came with Windows 7 or 8, you should be able to reinstall Windows 7 or 8 and download all the rest of the factory software from Dell's website? That's what I just did with a laptop I restored for a friend. It came with Windows 7, so I just re-installed Windows 7, downloaded the driver files from HP's website and was 100% functional.

NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2016
  11. dsar Win User
    Hi again *Smile

My Laptop came with Windows 10 Home x64. To be honest with you this is the first time I have an original Windows 10 product key. In the past I normally just use a loader to activate my Windows.

If I do a clean install, do you think the product is still genuine?
    How do I retreive my product key?

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The product key will be stored in UEFI. You can view it with Showkey Plus from this forum:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

As long as you install the proper edition of Windows 10 (Plain Windows 10, Single Language Edition of Windows 10, or "K" edition of Windows 10), during installation it will retrieve the product key from UEFI, install Home automatically, and activate automatically. And it will be 100% genuine.

NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2016
  13. dsar Win User

Wow ... I didn't know that.

Thank you so much.

I'll do a clean install now, and get back to you.

Thank you very much ..

14. dsar Win User
    Hi guru I have finished the installation and like you said, my windows is activated with the original key *Smile

Thank you so much.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    No problemo! Glad it worked out for you!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Factory Image Restore Option Missing After BCDEDIT Windows 10 Home 64 - Similar Threads - Factory Image Restore

2. what happened to the windows FACTORY RESTORE option ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what happened to the windows FACTORY RESTORE option ??: What has happened to the FACTORY RESTORE option on windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-to-the-windows-factory-restore/7255b625-51ab-4a4e-90a8-7703ddabb177
  3. what happened to the windows FACTORY RESTORE option ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what happened to the windows FACTORY RESTORE option ??: What has happened to the FACTORY RESTORE option on windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-to-the-windows-factory-restore/7255b625-51ab-4a4e-90a8-7703ddabb177
  4. what happened to the windows FACTORY RESTORE option ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 update stuck at 64% after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update stuck at 64% after factory reset: After factory resetting my laptop, the update for windows 10 has been stuck at 64%. It’s stuck in an infinite loop of loading hp and then it says welcome and then it says windows update at 64% and do not close for half a second. I had to video it and rewind to see what it...
  6. Computer Becoming increasingly slow after a factory image restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Becoming increasingly slow after a factory image restore: After being forced to make a factory image restore of my computer I started using it with no issues, today however, everytime i boot it up it seemed to be slower than the last now it takes up to 7 minutes to even reconize that i put my pin in to log in which takes 10 minutes...
  7. Factory Image Restore Frozen

Factory Image Restore Frozen: i am trying to restore the computer to factory state using factory image restore but it has been stuck on “applying the background image” for about an hour. It says that the entire process should only take “several minutes” [IMG]...
  8. Working with Higher Resolution Images in Windows 10 Home 64

in Windows 10 Support
    Working with Higher Resolution Images in Windows 10 Home 64: My Computer HP Pavilion G7-1260US Notebook PCProcessor Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20Ghz Installed Ram 4.00 GBC: Drive 640 GBVideo Integrated on MLBWindows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909Installed 02/25/2020OS Build 18363.720 Computer 8+ years old Data Storage External 3.0 USB-C...
  9. Windows 10 Defualt font missing after update, will also not restore or reset to factory...

Windows 10 Defualt font missing after update, will also not restore or reset to factory...: I recently had an update on my Windows 10 HP Notebook. It was the Win10 64-bit Home Edition and I was using an AMD Processor (I cant not be sure of which one as I am typing this on a different PC). After the update everything was fine and I turned my laptop off as I did not...
  10. Dell Factory Image Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Dell Factory Image Restore: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 but I would like to go back to Win 7. It's past the 30 days and so I can't roll back via Win 10. When I use F8, I see that the Dell Factory Image Restore is no longer an option. However, I do have a recovery drive for Win 7. Has Win 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore from image option is missing win 10 after reset

2. efi.wim

3. bcdedit windows 10 recovery

4. system restore avr-x4400h,
  5. what is a DK.EXC.exe file on my computer