Windows 10: Factory reset failed, is computer dead?

Discus and support Factory reset failed, is computer dead? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i tried to wipe my hard drive using the system wipe function in windows settings, and I let it do that while I had to go do something else. I came back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by furyferret68, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Factory reset failed, is computer dead?

i tried to wipe my hard drive using the system wipe function in windows settings, and I let it do that while I had to go do something else. I came back to an error that it had an error during the process, and a sole button "cancel." It now tries and fails to boot up past the hp splash screen, and then black screens and resets. It does this in a loop, f8 does nothing, and it detects nothing. My warranty expired a mere 5 days ago, and I am absolutely lost. Is it broken? I can't access any other menu or bios, it just fruitlessly tries to start up.

:)

furyferret68, Sep 18, 2015

2. Factory reset failed

I have a little Netbook, it came with 7 Starter.I updated to Windows 10, I've had it for a while, but I tried to install iTunes and it wasn't compatible with 10, so I was going to factory reset to 7 Starter. The reset failed, I tried again, it failed again,
    by now it was 4 a.m. so I got mad turned it off and went to bed. This morning, I tried to try again. When I turned on the Netbook, it says I have no OS, and when I tried to load the F2 menu to reset it from there, it asked for the current password, so I entered
    mine, but it keeps telling me it's wrong and locking me out. Please Help.

CaiusVirusia, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Jesrael Bor, Sep 18, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Factory reset failed, is computer dead?

Firstly, welcome to the forum *Smile

Second, an invaluable but harsh lesson I know. But you probably now see the importance of making backups an images. Especially before a major upgrade. *Wink Please see my sig! *Smile

Third, all is not lost. HP have been known to send out the recovery disks to users long after their warranty has expired. Regardless of that fact, assuming this was an OS upgrade and you had activated Win10 successfully, you will be able to reinstall Win10 by simply downloading the media from Microsoft. This will only work if you had successfully activated your free upgraded Win10.

How to Clean Install Windows 10
    How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Hold on a minute. Just you read you first post again. You said
    You cannot enter bios? What happens at boot? Is there dialog on screen or error messages? (please describe exactly as it appears on your monitor)

Please enter your full system specification within your profile settings. If you click here you will be taken to the right place in your profile settings.

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  6. Post your make and model of PC/Laptop. The HP factory rescue partition may still be accessible. Did you make any HP rescue DVDs when you first bought it?

Torquemada, Sep 18, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    I don't think the op can even get to bios at the moment (only noticed on second reading of the opening post)

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  8. Factory reset failed, is computer dead?

Ill enter my specs later. I have a uefi system, so im not sure if i can open it. Anyway, what it does is.

1, power on: black screen for a whike
    2. Black screen, then hp splash screen shows up, no f-x keys do anything, nothing works or makes that loud beep sound.
    3. screen goes black and process rinsed and repeats

What the hell do i do?

9. WhyMe Win User
    If you are getting the splash screen then that might be good news! (My glass is always half full)

Have you got a either a bootable Win10 installation disk or Win10 Recovery drive/disk? If you have, then you may be able to use one of them to enter your bios via the advanced startup repair options (you'll find the UEFI restart option within the main troubleshooting option when booting from one of these disks).

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  10. Would i be able to make one with my desktop somehow? And also how would i boot from disk?

11. WhyMe Win User
    Since your device is not functioning, you will have to download using an alternate device

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10
    or
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10

Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Windows 10 Installation USB or DVD
    or
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Recovery Drive

How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings Using Windows 10 Installation Disk or Recovery Drive
    (Skip straight to step 3 as the preceding steps are not applicable)

I am of course assuming your device is EFI configured as otherwise this definitely will not work.

Either way, accessing your bios may ultimately require opening up your system.

WhyMe, Sep 19, 2015
  12. mrgeek Win User
    Yes. Download Windows 10 install ISO using media creation tool on your desktop - Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help
    Burn it to a DVD, I find this more reliable than a usb drive.

I have an HP laptop and used following procedure to test repair disc and should work with your new install DVD. While you have the power on, open DVD drive, insert install DVD. Power off. Power back on and computer should open to install DVD with option to either in-place upgrade, install or repair.

You can also enter BIOS to boot to DVD if above procedure fails. This worked to test my usb recovery drive - as SOON as you press power button on, press 'esc' key continually (while screen is black and before HP splash screen) until a menu in lower left corner opens with your F key startup options. F9 to select current restart mode or F10 to change boot order to utilize DVD media before drive OS.

see this HP support doc - HP Notebook PCs - Boot Device Options (F9) | HP® Customer Support

mrgeek, Sep 19, 2015
  13. Word Man Win User

furyferret
    - you said you tried all F-x keys, but did you try the Esc key for accessing BIOS (probably then F10)?

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Factory reset failed, is computer dead? - Similar Threads - Factory reset failed

2. Factory reset fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset fail: So I tried to factory reset my laptop, but I turned it off during factory reset, and now it's in like a blue screen boot loop. I've tried to trouble shoot it then restart it, but it just says "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes made." I can't even go back to...
  3. Factory reset fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory reset fail: So I tried to factory reset my laptop, but I turned it off during factory reset, and now it's in like a blue screen boot loop. I've tried to trouble shoot it then restart it, but it just says "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes made." I can't even go back to...
  4. Computer wont boot and fails to factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer wont boot and fails to factory reset: Hello,I've had this computer for around 5-4 years so i was expecting it to fail me at some point, my problem is my pc froze and crashed when i tried to reboot it took me to automatic repair loop where i cannot do any of the functions available to me as they end in an error...
  5. Computer wont boot and fails to factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer wont boot and fails to factory reset: Hello,I've had this computer for around 5-4 years so i was expecting it to fail me at some point, my problem is my pc froze and crashed when i tried to reboot it took me to automatic repair loop where i cannot do any of the functions available to me as they end in an error...
  6. Computer wont boot and fails to factory reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows failed to factory reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows failed to factory reset: I tried to factory reset my pc, and my pc just went into a black screen. so i left it with the black screen for 2 hours just to see if it was just doing it's thing... after that i tried to turn my pc off and on again, and now my pc just boots with a black screen and staight...
  8. Failing to preform factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failing to preform factory reset: Recently been having issues with my laptop constantly freezing whether or not I had any apps open, I had an update available but due to the constant freezing my laptop could never finish the update and due to me needing this laptop for work and school but having no important...
  9. Factory reset keeps failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory reset keeps failing: So I wanted to reset my computer and used the reset option on Windows around 40 it's stops and says: there was a problem resettig your PC, no changes were made. tried 2 more but got the same message every time So I ended up just doing a clean install with a USB which work....
  10. Windows 10 failed computer dead

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 failed computer dead: windows update failed. I’ve tried to go back to previous version it ask me for password then say its incorrect ive tried the pin and the password to microsoft account and still get incorrect password. This means i cant get to the command prompt to try any of the fixes, is...