Windows 10: Fake Ransomware

Discus and support Fake Ransomware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all. I'm not loyal to any one browser; I alternate between Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, and, yes, sometimes still Internet Explorer *Wink But... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pez, Mar 24, 2018.

1. PEZ
    Pez Win User

Fake Ransomware

Hi all.

I'm not loyal to any one browser; I alternate between Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, and, yes, sometimes still Internet Explorer *Wink

But something I noticed, it mostly seems to happen when I'm using Chrome.

If I specifically go to the web site of www.yahoo.com and click on one of the articles, all of the sudden the browser gets hijacked and it's one of those fake Ransomware attacks; making it seem like you've contracted a virus, and if you try to navigate away by using the Home button, Back button, or click the "X" in the top right-hand corner, it won't let you, and a further pop-up tells you to call a phone number, blah blah blah, etc.

I just launch Task Manager and "End Task" on the Chrome browser; I then re-launch the browser and clear the History/ Cache.

In the Chrome browser, I click on the three vertical dots in the top right-hand corner, go to More Tools/ Extensions, but I don't see anything suspicious in here.

I have Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, and no 3rd party anti-virus programs; I just use the built-in Windows Defender. I've run a Full System Scan, and nothing detected.

Any ideas anyone? And keep in mind: this mostly seems to happen only when using the Chrome browser, and only when clicking on articles on Yahoo.com

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

:)

2. Jsssssssss, Mar 24, 2018
  3. AVG has disabled all my drivers in Window 10 and now Ransomeware is taking over my computer

Actual ransomware infections typically targets and encrypts data files, appends an obvious extension to the end of encrypted filenames, and demands a ransom payment by dropping ransom notes in every directory/affected folder where data has been encrypted
    but leaves the operating system working so the victim can pay the ransom.

If there are no obvious extensions appended to your file names, no ransom notes and you data is not actually encrypted, then you most likely are dealing with

fake ransomware
    , a
    fake web page in your browser
    , or some other version of a

Tech Support Scam

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 24, 2018
  4. skcusime Win User

Fake Ransomware

Sounds like you should download Malwarebytes and run a full scan. There's something on your computer if your browser is being hijacked.

skcusime, Mar 25, 2018
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    You're correct, to close the browser using Task Manager when this happens - never click on anything else, as it could trigger a malicious download. The Yahoo main page is well-known for constantly having infected ads at any given time, so I would stay away from it.

For your issue:
    Download and run:
    ADWCleaner (scan then clean if anything is found)
    Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib
    post the log

Reset all browsers on the system - every one, even if you never use it.
    Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

How to Reset Your Web Browser To Its Default Settings

Run Ccleaner (free) on all browsers to clear out cache and temp files
    Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize tune up your PC, free!

Turn off syncing, if you use that in your browser(s).

Flush your DNS
    open an admin command prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns

Consider usingOpenDNS DNS servers on your NIC to prevent going to known-bad sites:
    Setup Guide | OpenDNS

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Fake Ransomware

1. Fake Ransomware - Similar Threads - Fake Ransomware

2. Is This Malware Notification Real Or Fake? I can’t tell.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is This Malware Notification Real Or Fake? I can’t tell.: So I was browsing the internet, looking for Minecraft for the Xbox 360. I downloaded an image file from a random website, then immediately after, McAfee or something else kept saying I had a virus. I freaked out and went straight to Windows Secirty so it can delete the virus,...
  3. Is This Malware Notification Real Or Fake? I can’t tell.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is This Malware Notification Real Or Fake? I can’t tell.: So I was browsing the internet, looking for Minecraft for the Xbox 360. I downloaded an image file from a random website, then immediately after, McAfee or something else kept saying I had a virus. I freaked out and went straight to Windows Secirty so it can delete the virus,...
  4. I was scammed by a fake PayPal rep. How do I keep them from getting back into my gmail acct?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was scammed by a fake PayPal rep. How do I keep them from getting back into my gmail acct?: I was scammed by a fake PayPal representative. How do I keep them from getting logged on to myDell PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-was-scammed-by-a-fake-paypal-rep-how-do-i-keep/64ffa972-46d3-4056-931d-8b2593e1374a
  5. I was scammed by a fake PayPal rep. How do I keep them from getting back into my gmail acct?

I was scammed by a fake PayPal rep. How do I keep them from getting back into my gmail acct?: I was scammed by a fake PayPal representative. How do I keep them from getting logged on to myDell PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-was-scammed-by-a-fake-paypal-rep-how-do-i-keep/64ffa972-46d3-4056-931d-8b2593e1374a
  6. MSN news posts, why do they disappear as soon as you write them?? is it fake??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSN news posts, why do they disappear as soon as you write them?? is it fake??: are they just collecting personal profiles and selling that info? they seem to have a lot of fox news and pro trump articles.* Moved from Community Center...
  7. MSN news posts, why do they disappear as soon as you write them?? is it fake??

MSN news posts, why do they disappear as soon as you write them?? is it fake??: are they just collecting personal profiles and selling that info? they seem to have a lot of fox news and pro trump articles.* Moved from Community Center...
  8. "Big Head" ransomware fakes Windows Update to trick users

in Windows 10 News
    "Big Head" ransomware fakes Windows Update to trick users: Security researchers at FortiGuard Labs have discovered a new type of ransomware that is targeting home computer users. Dubbed Big Head, the ransomware fakes Windows Update to avoid detection. The researchers note that there are two main strains of the ransomware and...
  9. Fake Ransomware Email?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fake Ransomware Email?: Hi, My Name is Hudson, and I recently got an email from Microsoft saying signs of ransomware have been detected but I Don't know if this is legit or not. I have had this same problem Before, and it was not real, but I do not know if it is real, or not so can someone help...
  10. Fake Ransomware Email?

Fake Ransomware Email?: Hi, My Name is Hudson, and I recently got an email from Microsoft saying signs of ransomware have been detected but I Don't know if this is legit or not. I have had this same problem Before, and it was not real, but I do not know if it is real, or not so can someone help...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ultimate fake ransomware for download