Windows 10: Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by blutos cousin, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

How to: Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

How to Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web.

This tutorial will show you how to completely reset Microsoft Edge to default for only your account in Windows 10.

Tip What to do if Microsoft Edge isn't working - Microsoft Support

Warning When you reset Microsoft Edge, it will also delete all of your favorites in Microsoft Edge.

If wanted, you should back up your favorites in Microsoft Edge first.

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Welcome Page

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Reset_Microsoft_Edge.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file.

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the Reset_Microsoft_Edge.ps1 file to your desktop.

5. Close all instances of Microsoft Edge.

6. Right click or press and hold on the Reset_Microsoft_Edge.ps1 file, and click/tap on Run with PowerShell. (see screenshot below)

Note For reference, this below is the contents of the Reset_Microsoft_Edge.ps1 file.

Code:

7. You will now see PowerShell quickly open and close to run the commands.

8. When you open Microsoft Edge next, you will see that it has been reset to default.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

blutos cousin, Oct 5, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Oct 5, 2015
  3. Smittychat., Oct 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

If you are having an issue with Microsoft Edge would be one, or if you just wanted to quickly reset all settings in Microsoft Edge back to default.

Brink, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Lotta people been having issues with Edge thats one reason of many why I use Chrome (as usual) for a default browser but I get your point for those folks that may want to re set Edge and with this being a decent Windows 10 forum and all it's all good .

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    There's an option to reset Internet Explorer to default built-in to Internet Options, and I thought that since Microsoft Edge didn't have this built-in yet, this would be the next best thing for now. *Smile

Brink, Oct 5, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Would like it better if their was a way to REMOVE edge, or at least completely turn it off. oh well....*Smile

OldMike65, Oct 5, 2015
  8. Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

right : Edge is getting better it was horibble a while back but like you say not many settings options .

9. Almighty1 Win User
    My Edge didn't work this morning as I tried logging in to the forums here and elsewhere except it didn't log me in so I manually deleted the packages directory in Windows Explorer and then ran:
    Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\appxmanif
    est.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

which seems to be basically what's in the original post. Wished I saw it earlier.

Almighty1, Oct 27, 2015
  10. simrick Win User
    Thanks for this @Brink. People are getting infected with adware/toolbars/popups/hijackware that require a complete browser reset, and every other browser has that function available to the user EXCEPT Edge. This will come in very handy!

simrick, Nov 24, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome @simrick. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Nov 24, 2015
  12. Ok, this one worked. Lets see how it goes. I just want to check out Edge see what its about. Otherwise back to Chrome
    Thanks!

sunnyorlando, Dec 28, 2015
  13. Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

Ok.. Update! Edge is a POS. Like may other changes that MS has done in W10, I don't know what they were thinking when thy came up with Edge. Edge of what...? Don't get me started... this is just in the first 15 mins.
    Just the bookmark editing alone (or lack of) makes me wonder what there smok'n there. Yes it based on Chrome, but Chrome is just some much better. And so if Firefox...
    > And what made them think I want my bookmarks on the right side???? I don't know about most of you, but I read form L to R. they could have at lead made it customization.
    > And then there is the 'Home' button - at least in IE I can select what home I want to open each time, not just a default.
    > So what ever happened to opening local URLs from the browser...? Gone!
    > It doesn't save all my setting either - seems random. I've set the 'Home' page 3 times now. It disappears after closing, only to go back to "about:blank". But my other setting like the default tabs stays.
    > What happened to the 'back' or 'forward' history on the corresponding < and > buttons? So now you have to click back through each page if you want to return to a recently viewed page. Where is "History" anyway?
    > Now I find myself going from left to right and R to L on the screen to do things. It must be a marketing thing - some genius (or idiot) though that if you have the user fly across the screen to do things, they will get them to do something in between - like click on an ad or something like that. Bookmark on the R, nav arrows on the L - Oh boy!

I'm sure there is more... Well, maybe it was better that it was not working after all.

Thanks MS - as usual

sunnyorlando, Dec 28, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  15. hi brink, edge browser reset worked well, but it wipes bookmarks,

kindly create another powershell file with below options, people can save their bookmarks too.

1.Start-Run-C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\Us er\Default
    Copy the Datastore folder from the above location & paste it on the desktop

2.Delete the microsoft edge browser from the below location
    Start-Run-Appdata\local\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

3.Start-cmd(run as administrator)-Type powershell-Execute the command given below
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

4.Paste the datastore folder back to the below location from the desktop
    Appdata\local\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default
    If prompted, click/tap on "Replace the files in the destination"

5.Restart the computer & favourites will be back to the edge browser.

mohanraj0805, Apr 29, 2016
Thema:

Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

1. Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Microsoft Edge

2. Windows 10 Edge user default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Edge user default: Windows 10 Pro in workgroup 21H2When log in using Azure connected to office domain, the Edge opens up with wrong user. We have an outlook.com account and use that for Edge and all its favorites etcHow can we set the outlook.com user to be the default login for edge...
  3. Microsoft Edge - 2 Edge on Default Apps

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - 2 Edge on Default Apps: Hello everyone, this is my first post here, I've searched the forum for a similar problem but I haven't found anything, So ... Today I have formatted my computer, while downloading and installing Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) to update the old Microsoft Edge, I have noticed...
  4. edge volume in sound manager resets to default

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    edge volume in sound manager resets to default: submitted by /u/Middle__ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/emjy4u/edge_volume_in_sound_manager_resets_to_default/
  5. reset microsoft edge

in Browsers and Email
    reset microsoft edge: how do I reset zoom to 100 in Microsoft edge there is no indicator which shows if I am zoomed in or out 137946
  6. Default being reset to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default being reset to Microsoft Edge: Hi, I am frustrated with my default browser being changed to Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. I have tried multiple times to change it to Chrome but every time it automatically switches to Microsoft Edge. What is the easiest solution to resolve the issue once and for all? I...
  7. Edge Resets to default settings

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Resets to default settings: Edge resets to default setting after every W10 update. Can MS stop this please ? Favourites are gone, I have to run xcopy to add back. Google search is no longer the default search provider. It also offers to remember password which I disabled. Regards 41036
  8. Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge: Since installing the November Windows 10 update (11/17/15) none of my favorites are being stored in the default Edge folder. While in Edge the favorites are available but when I go to the default folder they are not listed. Is there another location they may be being saved or...
  9. Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...