Windows 10: fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios

Discus and support fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; after i put a friends laptop hd in my computer and fixed his. i have a strange little 99MB fat32 efi volume\partition on the OS disk. and i never saw... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by m0nk3n, Jul 5, 2016.

1. m0nk3n Win User

fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios

after i put a friends laptop hd in my computer and fixed his. i have a strange little 99MB fat32 efi volume\partition on the OS disk. and i never saw it before. and i have 2 boot loaders in bios. wont boot without one of them being selected.

is it supposed to be there? can i remove it?

and what can i do about the boot loaders? does fixmbr work?

:)

m0nk3n, Jul 5, 2016

2. How disable automatic setting of start up disk in UEFI in Windows 10

I have 2 disks and UEFI motherboard.

The first disk is used for boot and in an EFI partition is Clover boot loader. On that disk are several OS.

On the second disk is only Windows 10 also with an EFI partition.

Clover bootloader shows me all my OS including Windows 10.

My issue began approximately 3 weeks ago. Every time I boot into Windows 10 it changes my start up disc order and the disk where is Windows 10 installed is the first. I can no longer boot to any of my other non-Windows OS unless I edit in UEFI the
    start up disk order.

Because I didn't upgrade UEFI or Clover I suspect some Windows 10 update that started to test if his EFI partition is correctly set as a boot disk.

Frantisek Boranek, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Install on Asus Mainboard

I suppose it depends on the installer used and how it was created.

I would usually use rufus and although uefi compatibility is being used I would switch os type to Other os in bios just because I do not want any uefi or efi system reserved partitions created.

usb flash is ntfs and not fat32.

I prefer C partition only spanning the entire disk and reduce it after the install.

Keeping in mind disk is mbr and not gpt.

ThrashZone, Jul 5, 2016
  4. m0nk3n Win User

is it safe to use the delete volume override in diskpart on the hidden 99mb fat32 on the os drive? that's my closest thought. since it's the os drive and i like this computer i wont do anything i dont know can damage it *Smile

m0nk3n, Jul 5, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  6. m0nk3n Win User
    what do you mean with 2 hard drives connected? i'm just done with using samsung migration software to clone the ssd 840 series over to a ssd 840 evo. here is a screen shot of disk management. while you read this i will reboot and unplug all the drives which is not the OS hd and see if it will boot only with the ssd with the OS
    fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios [​IMG]

Edit: it booted with only the os ssd.

m0nk3n, Jul 5, 2016
  7. m0nk3n Win User
    also i got this for you if it's interesting *Smile

fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios [​IMG]

m0nk3n, Jul 5, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The 99mb FAT32 partition is where the computer is booting from - it has to stay there. The partition marked as "system" contains the boot files. The partition marked as "boot" contains the operating system that is loaded by the boot files. I know - Microsoft labeled them bass ackwards, in my humble opinion.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    diskpart is showing 1 gpt disk

disk management is showing 6 of them....

but as stated the disk is GPT and has the windows OS - so yes the partition has to be there...

Kyhi, Jul 5, 2016
  10. m0nk3n Win User
    the cmd windows is from after i disabled all the other hdd's. thought of something. this is not a laptop. this is my pc. is there always a recovery partition? since i didn't make one. i had a clean install and i can't remember having that until after i fixed my friends laptop. i put his laptop hdd in the computer. and on windows 10 is the efi-partition "included"?(i guess it is) *Smile

and what can i do with the 2 boot manager present in bios? never saw them there before.
    without selecting either of the boot manager in bios called "boot manager" as first i can't boot.

m0nk3n, Jul 5, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios - Similar Threads - fat32 efi partition

2. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?: Hi i'm limon i need help, how to create recovery disk with efi partition?the reason i want this bc my computer is installed with non factory OS...
  3. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?: Hi i'm limon i need help, how to create recovery disk with efi partition?the reason i want this bc my computer is installed with non factory OS...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  5. EFI partition showing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI partition showing in Explorer: I cloned my system onto a new drive. No problems except a small one. The system reserved EFI partition appears in Explorer as J: I have used Diskpart to remove the drive assignment. This works fine until the next boot when it re-appears. Any ideas on how to make this...
  6. I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows: I was installing Artix Linux and mounted Windows boot partition. By mistake, I run "rm /mnt -rf" /mnt is where I mounted the EFI partition. How can I add a boot entry for Windows?...
  7. Deleting Debian bootloader from Windows 10 EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Debian bootloader from Windows 10 EFI partition: Yes there is a way to restore EFI partition, but it is risky and not 100% it will always work... I installed debian as dual boot with Windows 10. I was assured on their forums, it won't put grub to Windows 10 efi partition and i created its efi partition for it on second...
  8. Disk Partition EFI Management

Disk Partition EFI Management: DISK PARTITION INCLUDING EFI SYSTEM PARTITION AND RECOVERY DRIVE PARTITION. Earlier my File Explorer used to display C drive and D drive Recovery Drive which majorly contains only the recovery file. However, after a windows update a long time back, the D drive stopped...
  9. Recover Fat32 partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover Fat32 partition: I had partitioned my D drive to install Linux. It did not install properly, now I am left with 3 partitions 1. The original D drive, now shrunk 500GB 2. 200 MB partition 3. An unallocated partition 400GB I am not able to use the 3rd partition. I just want it all to be...
  10. Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10

Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10: Hello guys, i have a problem regarding dual-booting Windows 10 along Ubuntu. After installing Windows 10 and Ubuntu after it, i'm no longer able to boot into Ubuntu, it starst directly into Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, i could chose at startup which OS to run (using Linux's...