Windows 10: FCU does not do anything

Discus and support FCU does not do anything in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After downloading and running Windows10Upgrade9252.exe i get this screen and nothing else: [img] Checking Task Manager shows no CPU , no I/O,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bbinnard, Oct 16, 2017.

1. bbinnard Win User

FCU does not do anything

After downloading and running Windows10Upgrade9252.exe i get this screen and nothing else:

FCU does not do anything [​IMG]

Checking Task Manager shows no CPU , no I/O, and no network activity. So I hit Exit. I did get a Windows10Upgrade directory with lots of stuff on my C: drive, but I am reluctant to run any of the EXE modules there without knowing what they might do.

What should my next step be?

Edit:

I found a log file in the WIndows10Upgrade folder. It has a lot of data that is impossible to understand, but there are many lines that look like this one:

2017-10-18 02:33:20.970, Warning [GetConfigurationByKey] File:utility.cpp, Line:232 failed with error code 0x80070002

Of course I have no idea what this means or what to do about it.

:)

bbinnard, Oct 16, 2017
  2. Wolfrs Win User

?? Class Action Lawsuit RE: Fall Creators 'update'

We use Provue's Panorama 6. FCU 1709 renders this database software unusable. We have rolled back to FCU 1703 but now have to delete the downloaded upgrade files from C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download every day. Turning of Windows Update services
    does not work.

Does anyone know what FCU 1709 disables that renders my database software unusable?

Wolfrs, Oct 16, 2017
  3. Can't open pictures in Windows 10.

I'm also having the same problem. "upgraded" from Windows 7. Now I can't open pictures. they show as previews, but I get an "element missing" message when I try to open them. I've tried changing the default viewer back to Windows viewer, but I can't
    seem to get this system to implement the change. Why is this such a difficult task for Windows 10?

Does anything work_789, Oct 16, 2017
  4. FCU does not do anything

Hi bbinnard.

Lets start with what are you currently running?

Windows key + R, type winver, enter

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 17, 2017
  5. bbinnard Win User
    My system is 1703 Build 15063.674 Home 64. Boot drive is 128GB SSD with 2 partitions; the drive shows no errors. All updates as of last Sunday have been installed OK.

bbinnard, Oct 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Oct 17, 2017
  8. bbinnard Win User

FCU does not do anything

The problem I encountered resulted from running Windows10Upgrade9252.exe, so I don't think that will help. I do have a R/W DVD that should work for the iso file so I might try that.

bbinnard, Oct 17, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You don't need to burn a DVD from the ISO file. Just mount it and run setup.exe from it.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  10. bbinnard Win User
    That is good news. I assumed I'd need to burn a DVD because of reboots during the update process. Thanks for the tip.

bbinnard, Oct 17, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    No, all the files needed are copied from the ISO before the first reboot. After that it boots to your PC to finish the process.

In fact, if you make a USB instead of an ISO you have to remember to remove it just before the first reboot else it boots from the USB. You don't want to do that, booting from the USB is how you do a clean install *Smile

12. bbinnard Win User
    I had to do a clean install once before. Took me more than a week to get evreything back the way I wanted & had it before. So I'll not be doing one of those again. If the ISO doesn't update I'll just stick with the Windows I have - it works fine for me.

bbinnard, Oct 17, 2017
  13. FCU does not do anything

Once you have it in and set the way you want it please have a look at Macrium Reflect. Periodically you can take an image and this will save you, in most cases, from having to start with a clean install. This is used by and recommended by many members.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 17, 2017
  14. bbinnard Win User
    I've been using Reflect for quite a while to back up my boot drive. I have a current backup (which I certainly hope I won't need) and another one a few weeks older (just in case.) I totally agree that Reflect is a great piece of software but I am surprised people don't talk about what I think is it's best capability, and that is how easy it is to mount a backup and restore individual files and/or directories back onto the current system.

bbinnard, Oct 17, 2017
  15. bbinnard Win User
    Woweeee! The ISO file worked like a charm.

I was a bit skeptical when I started because when I did the previous Creator Update I got all sorts of errors and gave up after a week of trying everything under the sun. I finally got the update ok by using the standard Windows Update process. It's much nicer when something as complex as this update works smoothly.

bbinnard, Oct 17, 2017
Thema:

FCU does not do anything

1. FCU does not do anything - Similar Threads - FCU does anything

2. Proxy settings change does not do anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proxy settings change does not do anything: I've been using HTTP PROXY INJECTOR for 3 years. I bought a new laptop recently and the proxy doesn't connect. I'm sure that everything is the same as the previous one. But it does not connect.This laptop does not support any kind of proxy. I've tried a few after the HTTP...
  3. Proxy settings change does not do anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Proxy settings change does not do anything: I've been using HTTP PROXY INJECTOR for 3 years. I bought a new laptop recently and the proxy doesn't connect. I'm sure that everything is the same as the previous one. But it does not connect.This laptop does not support any kind of proxy. I've tried a few after the HTTP...
  4. does the ' key do anything on the home screen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    does the ' key do anything on the home screen?: I have a tendency to press this key a lot by accident. Does this do anything specific? I usually just hear the background noise... Thanks. submitted by /u/ConnectAccident [link] [comments]...
  5. ** Does this update have anything to do anything with or make changes to the EFI volume?**

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ** Does this update have anything to do anything with or make changes to the EFI volume?**: Oops: Edit: (KB4524244) - Error 0x800f0922 I was running into this error and tried just about everything to resolve it. I decided to wipe the drive and install Windows x64 1909 from a newly created USB stick and the update failed with the same message. The only thing I can...
  6. Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything: I am running a dualboot setup with Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10. Recently, I've started to notice that some of the files on my Windows partition have corrupted (so far I've only seen 3 corrupt files in Event Viewer, none of which are important). (It's also worth noting that...
  7. Does WMI Provider Host do anything?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does WMI Provider Host do anything?: So, this thing called WMI Provider Host has been bugging me ever since I knew what took up 25% of my CPU for absolutely no reason. I've been wanting to uninstall this program ever since I knew that, but I don't know what it does to my computer, because it could be a program...
  8. Does anything work

in Windows 10 Support
    Does anything work: I know I am new to Windows 10 and I have used windows of some kind for over 30 years. Right now I am freaking confused. I have only had Windows 10 for just over a week. For a week I have been trying to install Office and get the 1935 every time. Microsoft has no plan to fix...
  9. MS Edge does not print to Adobe PDF, following FCU

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge does not print to Adobe PDF, following FCU: Since installing FCU, MS Edge (my default browser) does not print to “Adobe PDF”. All other apps, including ie 11, have no problem printing to the “Adobe PDF” printer. There was no problem, with Edge before FCU. MS Edge does print with no problem to “Microsoft Print to PDF”,...
  10. FCU and DisplayLink Drivers

in Windows 10 Support
    FCU and DisplayLink Drivers: After the install and reboot of the FCU, a pop up message said that the DisplayLink driver installed on my laptop was not compatible with FCU and has been removed. I had used DisplayLink to connect a second monitor to my HP Laptop via USB. After the reboot, my three...