Windows 10: Feature upgrade to 1903 issue

Discus and support Feature upgrade to 1903 issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell Inspiron 5759 laptop started off with an early version of Windows 10 and automatic upgrades have updated it as MS required. I think it was 1809... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alli, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Alli Win User

Feature upgrade to 1903 issue

My Dell Inspiron 5759 laptop started off with an early version of Windows 10 and automatic upgrades have updated it as MS required. I think it was 1809 that started giving me trouble, Windows would load up to the desktop, show the desktop shortcuts, many without icons, no taskbar shortcuts and only the system tray time and notification icons. The cursor was an arrow while over the desktop but a revolving blue circle while over the task bar. Repeatedly clicking the task bar resulted in the screen blinking and eventually Windows would complete its startup. Of course I got pretty sick of this so tried upgrading to 1903 to see if this would cure it. The upgrade failed and when I looked at the upgrade history I discovered that MS had already tried and failed to upgrade to 1903.

I used the creation tool to create a bootable USB stick with 1903 on it. Tried to install 1903 but got to the partitioning stage where it said it couldn't install on the selected partition because it was of the GPT style. Used shift F10 and ran DISKPART not fully appreciating that CLEAN really really does clean. Never mind, the partition I use only for data was well backed up.

The install went okay and all seemed well. But after I had installed a couple of applications, I got the same problem as before except that repeatedly clicking the task bar did not complete the loading. Tried running SFC /SCANNOW, it told me that there were some corrupted files and it had fixed them. Looked at the log it produced, it was massive and might as well have been written in Swedish Chef as far as I was concerned. However the laptop booted up okay but only once, then the problem appeared again.

That was the SHORT version of the story. I tried several installs, all with the same results, spent days on it. Eventually got sick of the whole thing and dusted off a 1703 cd and tried instng from that. Got to the partitioning stage and was told that it could not install on the partition because it was of the GPT style. Shift F10 didn't work this time. I knew that the bios was set to EUFI, so went looking on the web for answers. Learned that Secure Boot needed to be enabled, so did this but had to also disable legacy CD. This is the only (as far as I know) difference in the BIOS between the 1903 installs and the 1703 install. The install then went perfectly. Laptop started much more quickly than it did with 1903 and repeated shutdowns, startups and restarts seemed to result in the startup getting faster. Started instng random applications, repeatedly shutting down and starting after each one. So far it is a dream.

So, if you haven't got too bored to read this far, the questions are: can I keep 1703 running against the tsunami of MS upgrades, and if not, how do I install 1903 so that it actually works?

:)

2. Local profile issue after upgrading to 1903

Hi roblinb

Not listed in the Known.

Known issues for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

As far as Wifi any chance it is Qualcom inside USB adapter, if Qualcom then yes known issue.

I might create another user (Local) and when if try again see if this issue occurs on both users.

Would also suggest you run the first 5 steps in this tutorial to see if you have any corruption with current build.

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Windows Feature Update 1903

Hi Sara209

Greetings! I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor. The steps which you have undertaken to block updates won't work for any feature update. Feature updates need to be blocked temporarily by using different steps.

But, I will suggest that you should not try to stop 1903 feature update. Let it happen.

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help.

Vijay_Verma, Nov 15, 2019
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Feature upgrade to 1903 issue - Similar Threads - Feature upgrade 1903

2. Upgrade issues from 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade issues from 1803 to 1903: Hello, I am trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1903 and continue to run into errors. The install from Media Creation Tool, as the Windows Update says my computer is up to date but isnt, fails around 75% and then has to revert everything back which...
  3. Feature upgrade to 1903 error code 0x80004005

Feature upgrade to 1903 error code 0x80004005: Since buying my computer in 2016 it appears that auto. upgrades have occured only to 1709. The system advised upgrading to 1903 and I requested the upgrade downloading windows 10 update assistant to help. The nearest I have been able to get to success was 99%. After...
  4. Issues with the Windows 10 upgrades (1903)

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Issues with the Windows 10 upgrades (1903): Recently I updated my laptop to the latest version. After the installation was completed i hit the button to restart. After restarting I faced a critical issue which was the password box isn't working. I went to youtube to find a solution for this but none of them fixed it....
  5. Printer won't work after 1903 feature upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer won't work after 1903 feature upgrade: I have a dell AIO 948 printer scanner that won't communicate with my laptop after doing the 1903 feature upgrade. It's not a printer problem because I can hook it up to my old Dell laptop that runs Win Vista and it will print and scan like a charm. In the past, after upgrades...
  6. A couple of issues after upgrade to 1903

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A couple of issues after upgrade to 1903: after update to 1903 i dont see the pop up when i have finished downloading a torrent. i also dont see the "safe to remove device" when i unplug an external usb drive. how do i change back the notification area like it was before updating to 1903? 136789
  7. Windows 10, 1903 upgrade issues

Windows 10, 1903 upgrade issues: I have tried updating to 1903 from 1803 several times keeping my programs intact. Each time I do I run into the following problems: 1) When I right click the windows icon on the bottom left and bring up the menu with "Apps and Features" several items will not open, including...
  8. Windows 10 Feature Update 1903 Issue

Windows 10 Feature Update 1903 Issue: I just recently updated to the latest feature update 1903 for Windows 10. After the upgrade, the Fitbit app and Microsoft Ultimate Word Games both crash upon launch. Both were previously installed from the Microsoft Store. Here is the Event Viewer error log for Microsoft...
  9. Window 10 upgrade 1903 issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Window 10 upgrade 1903 issues: New HP laptop Window 10 purchased December 2018. Received all the updates and was up to date. Last week downloaded and installed up date 1903. Since this download I have all kinds of flaky issues, Can not open Microsoft Store and any of the other installed apps. I get a...
  10. Win 10 1903 Features Upgrade

Win 10 1903 Features Upgrade: I downloaded and installed the latest Win 10 - 1903 feature upgrade this morning. 1. I was forced to log back in to much of my gaming software. 2. After the upgrade I was left with a light blue glaring desktop background that had to be deleted, it was just too bright...