Windows 10: File explorer and WD external HDD

Discus and support File explorer and WD external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Robbie, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Robbie Win User

File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD

Problems:
    1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down.
    When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot open it and becomes unresponsive (task bar icons disappear).

No new software available from WD

:)

Robbie, Jan 19, 2016
  2. Ken 1948 Win User

backup cant access external hdd after creators update

after upgrading to creators update backup software is denied access to external wd hdd. I can access files on the external hdd using explorer

Ken 1948, Jan 19, 2016
  3. Sepidroy Win User
    WD 5TB cloud not shows in windows Explorer

Hi,

I have a WD external HDD( WD 5TB cloud) that was working fine with my network, Which is simple home router based network. Last week I upgraded my windows 7 to Windows 10. From then, my WD HDD folders don't showup in windows explorer, where I could easily
    move my files around. Now I have to work only with web base portal, which is demanding and slow.

I searched thru internet and found out that people have this problem. I followed some of solution, Like adding line to registry, windows credential and none of them work.

My windows can find TV and DVD player but not my WD HDD.

What should I do?

Thanks

Sepidroy, Jan 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  5. Robbie Win User
    Can try to do that, although a sleep (standby) mode is already programmed in WD Smartware. It works most of the time but a few times a week it's a problem.

Robbie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer and WD external HDD - Similar Threads - File explorer external

2. Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...: Just around a week ago I discovered that in File Explorer my older 4Tb WD Elements drive that I have had for a few years is reading as a 5Tb drive and my new WD Elements 5Tb drive that I bought a few months ago is now recognized as a 4Tb drive. This means I lost a full Tb of...
  3. Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: File explorer recognizes my oldere 4Tb WD external HDD as a 5Tb drive and my...: Just around a week ago I discovered that in File Explorer my older 4Tb WD Elements drive that I have had for a few years is reading as a 5Tb drive and my new WD Elements 5Tb drive that I bought a few months ago is now recognized as a 4Tb drive. This means I lost a full Tb of...
  4. File Explorer will not show External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will not show External HDD: I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in...
  5. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Support
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  6. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  7. External HDD not showing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  8. WD External HDD detected but not visible in My computer

WD External HDD detected but not visible in My computer: Whenever I connected My old WD Element 10A8 External HDD Lights is blinking on HDD, Windows giving connected Sound, but it is not visible in My computer- Devices & driver Suddenly [ATTACH] In Disk Management, status is UNKNOWN, Not initialized , HDD storage not visible....
  9. pc does not see my wd external hdd

pc does not see my wd external hdd: my pc does not see my external wd hdd connected to usb port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/pc-does-not-see-my-wd-external-hdd/2f5bba80-1670-49e5-b4a4-0bd741d741d3
  10. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD showing twice in file explorer: My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside. Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated....