Windows 10: Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10 How to Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10 The NVMe. Having your HDDs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Gary, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10

How to: Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10

How to Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10

The NVMe.

Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's battery life.

When you or anything tries to access a HDD that has been turned off, there will be a delay of a few seconds as the HDD automatically spins back up and is turned back on before being able to access it.

This tutorial will show you how to turn off hard disks after being idle for specified minutes or to never in your power plan in Windows 10.

*note If you have set to turn off hard disk after idle, then you will experience a delay if you restart explorer since you will have to wait for all disks turned off to spin back up and turn on before explorer is restarted.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle Setting in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Change Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle Setting in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle Setting in Power Options
    1. Open your advanced power plan settings.

2. Expand open Hard disk and Turn off hard disk after, set how many minutes or never for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default is 20 minutes. It is not recommended to set a low amount of minutes. Doing so can cause more wear and tear on HDDs since they will spin up and down more often.

Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle Setting in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command(s) below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

(On battery)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 6738e2c4-e8a5-4a42-b16a-e040e769756e <seconds>

AND/OR

(Plugged in)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 6738e2c4-e8a5-4a42-b16a-e040e769756e <seconds>

*note Substitute <seconds> in the commands above with how many seconds you want to turn off hard disk after.

Using 0 (zero) seconds will be the same as "Never".

The default data value is 1200 seconds (20 minutes).

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Gary, Sep 5, 2015
  2. DRVS Win User

why does Windows 10 give me lockups/freezes?

just found out Windows 10 had this enabled within power management settings "Turn off hard disks after idle."

seems like microsoft has never fixed this bug at all.

DRVS, Sep 5, 2015
  3. dsx75 Win User
    Win10 1709 keeps waking up hard disk all the time

1. It's about waking up HARD DISK (from idle/quiet to loud spinning), not waking up computer. For example if I'm just browsing the net or watching a movie, the mechanical disk used to be idle/quiet before the update. Now it's being activated regularly for
    no obvious reason.

2. All drivers should be up-to-date. There are no warnings in Device Manager.

3. See 1.

4. Well, I walked through all the settings and tried to turn off as many Windows "features" as possible. Those used to be turned off (before the update), but damn update re-enabled everything.

dsx75, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Gary, *Smile

It'll affect any connected HDD that sits idle after the specified minutes. Of course the OS HDD may not turn off after the specified minutes until Windows is finished doing anything with the HDD.

Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    But when I place my PS in sleep, the Hard Drive does turn off Right?

Gary, Sep 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Oh yes, sleep and shut down will always turn off the HDD.

This is only for idle HDDs while Windows is still running.

Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    Thanks Shawn , that is why at least for me I would have to be using two hard drives or an SSD +HD.

Gary, Sep 5, 2015
  8. Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10

Is it possible to set to never by registry or Command Prompt?

UltimateGTR, Sep 6, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's just not worth the effort to do so since this setting is also dependent on the specific power plan selected. Of course this will vary to much be usable. *Sad

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  10. What I found here was I could go into the advanced settings for each power plan option including creating your own custom plan and change the hard drive setting from the default 20 minutes in Balanced for example to never as well as having the display set to never in each plan and click on the save changes option when exiting. I found that out in previous versions before 7 even where the defaults would end up being reset if I saw any unexpected hard boots when a program locked and the display would turn off after being set to remain on all the time.

The only thing involving the system registry as far as power plans go was backing the registry settings for the plan selected. You don't want to be going into the registry otherwise when not necessary to make changes there. The power plan scheme was what was backed up on previous versions. That had been the "power.cfg -export C:" command to make a back up copy of the present power plan that was applied.

It would interesting to find out if the same type of command will work for 10. That had been the "default.pow" file. The reverse could also be seen by importing the default plan if you found the settings had returned to their defaults for some reason. That of course would include the setting for the hard drive never or turn off after so many minutes option it was set for. As far as each individual plan you can still make the changes in setting by going into the Advanced settings as the guide here shows.

Night Hawk, Sep 6, 2015
  11. Bhrayan23 Win User
    Thanks for the tutorial buddy.

Bhrayan23, Sep 6, 2015
  12. Thanks for the reply!

UltimateGTR, Sep 7, 2015
  13. Thanos92 Win User

Hello.How can i turn off sleep for disks?

Thanos92, Oct 11, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Thanos, *Smile

If you mean for when HDDs are idle, then you could set this to "Never" to do so.

Brink, Oct 11, 2016
  15. PJD
    pjd Win User
    How can I get USB connected drives to sleep when not in use ?

Thema:

1. Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Hard

2. Display turns off after being idle for ~30s

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display turns off after being idle for ~30s: I have a Thikpad connected via usb c to my display and it keeps turning off my display and puts computer to sleep so I have to login if I'm idle for less that a minute. I've tried to change the power options to extend the time when my display turns off, but it doesn't seem to...
  3. Windows 10 turns itself off when idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 turns itself off when idle: I have set every possible visible and invisible setting to NOT shut down when idle and yet Windows 10 is shutting down when idle after a few minutes. This is wasting a lot of time besides being a total nuisance.I have already looked up the thread where the same question has...
  4. "Turn off hard disk after..." setting in relation to sleep timer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Turn off hard disk after..." setting in relation to sleep timer: How do these values work with eachother? I have my pc go to sleep after 1 hour and my drive to turn off after 2 hours. Should one be higher than the other or the same? submitted by /u/Kelisua [link] [comments]...
  5. Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself: Hi. I've found that on both of my pc's (1 desktop and 1 laptop) that the Turn Off Hard Disk After "x" minutes setting changes to 0 or never, usually after a reboot. The Default for my desktop is 15 minutes and for the laptop it's 3 minutes on battery power and 15 minutes...
  6. Display turning off or going dim after being Idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Display turning off or going dim after being Idle: This has just recently started happening and i've noticed it only happens if i'm idle while playing games. I have my laptop set to never sleep or hibernate. I have screen saver off. The display doesn't always just go to a black screen sometimes it'll just dim until I move the...
  7. Turning Off Hard Disk

Turning Off Hard Disk: If I set my power options to: Turn off Hard Disk (after x amount of minutes) Turn off Moniter (also after so many minutes) What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode? I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't! The HD...
  8. turn off 2 hard disk after open windows.Please help me?

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off 2 hard disk after open windows.Please help me?: I have two harddisk. one is SSD(windows).second is ide harddisk.in start windows .I can used .windows dectect all hard disk. I can work .but after use second harddisk is off. windows can not detect it.I must closed my file in ssd and restart windows.How can resolve it? ***...
  9. Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.

Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.: I have a portable USB hdd that is not powering down at idle, a few days ago it was working so not sure what's happened. For testing purposes I have set the Turn Off Hard Disk After to 1 minute. I have tried different USB ports as well. 85377
  10. Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off hard disk after' from Power Options in Windows 10 The NVMe. Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to add turn off hard disk after windows 10