Windows 10: File extension

Discus and support File extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 2, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

File extension

How can I add a new file extension windows 10

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  2. Vickyp10 Win User

File extensions

How do I get rid of file extension (.docm) at end of all my file names (Windows 10)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Vickyp10, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    File extensions.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Microsoft Excel when you say spread sheets?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Please reply to the questions in order to assist you in a better way.

Jessen P, Jan 2, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

File extension

Just add it at the end of the filename.

bro67, Jan 2, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    Let me rephrase, how can I add a new file extension to Default Programs under "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."

Don Cole

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The easy way is to use File Explorer, right-click on a file with the extension you want to add and select 'Open with..'. Choose an appropriate app from the lists, or browse to find the right application. Tick the 'always open with...' box and click OK.

The harder way is to edit the registry. This tutorial has .reg files to reset each of the standard associations. Have a look at one as a guide.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If this new file association is something you wish to set up on multiple machines or for multiple users, then this is how to export and import your custom default associations.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

Bree, Jan 2, 2017
  7. doncole Win User
    Thank you Bree,

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File extension

1. File extension - Similar Threads - File extension

2. .php is not recognized as a file extension by windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .php is not recognized as a file extension by windows 11: I HAVE BEEN BANGING MY HEAD FOR WEEKS NOW BUT I CAN'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM! Whenever I try to choose the default app for the .php extension, .php doesn't show up in the list of extensions. HOW TO SOLVE THIS!?!...
  3. .php is not recognized as a file extension by windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .php is not recognized as a file extension by windows 11: I HAVE BEEN BANGING MY HEAD FOR WEEKS NOW BUT I CAN'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM! Whenever I try to choose the default app for the .php extension, .php doesn't show up in the list of extensions. HOW TO SOLVE THIS!?!...
  4. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  5. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  6. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

7. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  8. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  9. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

10. How to sort Files by Extension into separate Folder in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to sort Files by Extension into separate Folder in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you have a folder containing countless files of different formats, you can follow this guide to sort Files by Extensions into a separate Folder in Windows 11/10. No third-party app is needed since you can do it with the help of a BAT file. Let’s assume that you...