Windows 10: File extension

Discus and support File extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 2, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

File extension

How can I add a new file extension windows 10

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  2. Vickyp10 Win User

File extensions

How do I get rid of file extension (.docm) at end of all my file names (Windows 10)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Vickyp10, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    File extensions.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Microsoft Excel when you say spread sheets?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Please reply to the questions in order to assist you in a better way.

Jessen P, Jan 2, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

File extension

Just add it at the end of the filename.

bro67, Jan 2, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    Let me rephrase, how can I add a new file extension to Default Programs under "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."

Don Cole

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The easy way is to use File Explorer, right-click on a file with the extension you want to add and select 'Open with..'. Choose an appropriate app from the lists, or browse to find the right application. Tick the 'always open with...' box and click OK.

The harder way is to edit the registry. This tutorial has .reg files to reset each of the standard associations. Have a look at one as a guide.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If this new file association is something you wish to set up on multiple machines or for multiple users, then this is how to export and import your custom default associations.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

Bree, Jan 2, 2017
  7. doncole Win User
    Thank you Bree,

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File extension

1. File extension - Similar Threads - File extension

2. Random 10GB file without extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random 10GB file without extension: I was looking in one of my own created folders, and I saw this file named s2jo. No extension at the end. When I tried opening it, it gives me a variety of options Notepad, Visual Studio, etc. but they all can't open it and give errors like "File can't be found." I tried...
  3. File extension changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File extension changed: how can I recover my files that changed to .mado extension? is there any easy idea my all files are encrypted as .mado . How to decrypt ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-extension-changed/5eb5c4f3-acce-4907-9e10-857faaec0e1c
  4. File extension is different than file type

File extension is different than file type: In windows explorer, I have a file extension .wb3 quattro pro 7 different than what the file type quattro pro 16, .qpw is and the file opens in the file type, quattro pro 16. I've tired changing in properties .wb3 which has the correct program listed first however, it has...
  5. My all files encrypted to .OPQZ extension I'm want my files back please help me out for...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My all files encrypted to .OPQZ extension I'm want my files back please help me out for...: My all files encrypted to .DJVUS extension I'm want my files back please help me out for this regards..??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-all-files-encrypted-to-opqz-extension-im-want/814bdaca-3d4f-4ec9-9518-ffaf455bdccd
  6. One of my computers doesn't leave file extensions unselected when renaming and this tiny...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One of my computers doesn't leave file extensions unselected when renaming and this tiny...: Okay, not really. But does anyone know what I did differently on this one machine during this one install? I have something like six Windows machines here and only one of them is doing this. All of them have file extensions set to show. Example for those who have no idea...
  7. How to find out original name or extension form files in browser cache

in Windows 10 Support
    How to find out original name or extension form files in browser cache: Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to find out the original name of a file in your browser cache ( I use firefox). I took a look in the cache but they look all like random names and with no extension. [img] How do I find out what is jpg, png, mp4, gif, flv etc?...
  8. My User folder now has no extension, it's just a file

My User folder now has no extension, it's just a file: I'm trying to understand why my user folder changed to a file. It was a folder, and i could access %appdata% with it, but now i have to open a game, to try opening it. How do i solve this?...
  9. File extensions

File extensions: I downloaded some files from the internet and it won't allow me to change their file extensions note: i already tick the unhide file extension under folder options. The files are just greyed out and changing the file extensions just reverts them back to their original file...
  10. I Need A Way To Hide All Files Of A Certain Extension

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I Need A Way To Hide All Files Of A Certain Extension: As the title says, i'm looking for a way in Windows 10 (or with a piece of 3rd party software) that will allow me to select a specific file extension and have the system hide all files with that extension so they don't show up in folders, file explorer, etc. submitted by...