Windows 10: File extension

Discus and support File extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 2, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

File extension

How can I add a new file extension windows 10

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  2. Vickyp10 Win User

File extensions

How do I get rid of file extension (.docm) at end of all my file names (Windows 10)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Vickyp10, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    File extensions.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Microsoft Excel when you say spread sheets?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Please reply to the questions in order to assist you in a better way.

Jessen P, Jan 2, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

File extension

Just add it at the end of the filename.

bro67, Jan 2, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    Let me rephrase, how can I add a new file extension to Default Programs under "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."

Don Cole

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The easy way is to use File Explorer, right-click on a file with the extension you want to add and select 'Open with..'. Choose an appropriate app from the lists, or browse to find the right application. Tick the 'always open with...' box and click OK.

The harder way is to edit the registry. This tutorial has .reg files to reset each of the standard associations. Have a look at one as a guide.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If this new file association is something you wish to set up on multiple machines or for multiple users, then this is how to export and import your custom default associations.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

Bree, Jan 2, 2017
  7. doncole Win User
    Thank you Bree,

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File extension

1. File extension - Similar Threads - File extension

2. Why are not file type extensions shown as default

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are not file type extensions shown as default: Hi there This thing always irritates me beyond measure -- ever since I think Windows 98 after a Windows new install I always have to change the default in file explorer to show the file extensions of known types. Is there anybody on this forum who doesn't display the file...
  3. Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/martin_m_n_novy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lhryb7/windows_system_restore_monitored_file_name/
  4. cant change an aoudio file extension

cant change an aoudio file extension: 1809(8gb) i cant change the default app for xwm audio to be opened with VLC ,in other words the opration happens but no change. submitted by /u/saisfsdfsd [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l9dbpk/cant_change_an_aoudio_file_extension/
  5. How do I add file extensions to multiple files using powershell?

How do I add file extensions to multiple files using powershell?: Bunch of files with no extensions, all in one folder. Want to make them all png submitted by /u/granitefloors [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6wo2q/how_do_i_add_file_extensions_to_multiple_files/
  6. File without extension that can't get deleted (tried all recommended solutions)

File without extension that can't get deleted (tried all recommended solutions): The file appeared after I had a program crash in the middle of saving a file(.sai2), I have a "twin" file that actually works as expected The file is 0 bytes, has no extension, is virus-free, can't be moved, can't be renamed, no program can open it, Windows tells me that the...
  7. exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command: cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator I posted about it a long time ago, but I've never been able to run anything without an .exe. . . . *Huh [img] Power Shell works just fine with out an .exe, though. . . ? . 172679
  8. Can't preview Illustrator files after downloading Raw Image Extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't preview Illustrator files after downloading Raw Image Extension: I couldn't preview the raw files from my new Sony A7III, so I found an answer that told me to download Raw Image Extension from the Window Store. After downloading it, I can now view my raw photos, but now I can't preview my Illustrator files. I tried launching it from the...
  9. Ransomware infected my PC and change file extensions to QLKM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware infected my PC and change file extensions to QLKM: hello everyone. my pc got infected by ransomware with QLKM format. anyone has ever ran into the same thing and fixed it?I tried ESET and gridinsoft now it seems like the thing is off my pc and new files doesn't get encrypted. but I have tons of encrypted files. I also tried...
  10. move multiple folders based on file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    move multiple folders based on file extension: Hi, I have a main folder with 2000+ subfolders. 500+ of them have ISO files. I want to move all the folders that contain ISO files to a new separate folder. How do I do it? Obviously, I can find all the ISO files when searching via win explorer, but I don't want to move...