Windows 10: File extension

Discus and support File extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 2, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

File extension

How can I add a new file extension windows 10

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  2. Vickyp10 Win User

File extensions

How do I get rid of file extension (.docm) at end of all my file names (Windows 10)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Vickyp10, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    File extensions.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Microsoft Excel when you say spread sheets?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Please reply to the questions in order to assist you in a better way.

Jessen P, Jan 2, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

File extension

Just add it at the end of the filename.

bro67, Jan 2, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    Let me rephrase, how can I add a new file extension to Default Programs under "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."

Don Cole

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The easy way is to use File Explorer, right-click on a file with the extension you want to add and select 'Open with..'. Choose an appropriate app from the lists, or browse to find the right application. Tick the 'always open with...' box and click OK.

The harder way is to edit the registry. This tutorial has .reg files to reset each of the standard associations. Have a look at one as a guide.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If this new file association is something you wish to set up on multiple machines or for multiple users, then this is how to export and import your custom default associations.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

Bree, Jan 2, 2017
  7. doncole Win User
    Thank you Bree,

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File extension

1. File extension - Similar Threads - File extension

2. I have some files with my own extension, 'mlm'. In Windows 10 I had a default app set to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have some files with my own extension, 'mlm'. In Windows 10 I had a default app set to...: I have some files with my own extension, 'mlm'. In Windows 10 I had a default app set to open them with. That's gone now in Windows 11. How do I set that up again?...
  3. I have some files with my own extension, 'mlm'. In Windows 10 I had a default app set to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have some files with my own extension, 'mlm'. In Windows 10 I had a default app set to...: I have some files with my own extension, 'mlm'. In Windows 10 I had a default app set to open them with. That's gone now in Windows 11. How do I set that up again?...
  4. Unable to set the default program for SVG files & can't locate .svg extension in default...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to set the default program for SVG files & can't locate .svg extension in default...: Hi, a couple days ago I was doing a reinstall of Windows 11 and a basic debloat using Windows Toolbox powershell command. I reinstalled Inkscape and wanted to set it as default for opening .svg formats, something I didn't have any problem with in the past. However this time I...
  5. Unable to set the default program for SVG files & can't locate .svg extension in default...

Unable to set the default program for SVG files & can't locate .svg extension in default...: Hi, a couple days ago I was doing a reinstall of Windows 11 and a basic debloat using Windows Toolbox powershell command. I reinstalled Inkscape and wanted to set it as default for opening .svg formats, something I didn't have any problem with in the past. However this time I...
  6. Unable to change name of a file on a USB without changing File extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change name of a file on a USB without changing File extension: Hi, when I connect my USB to my Lenovo laptop and try to change the title of some songs, it changes the file format as well and I can't then play that song after that...help...
  7. Unable to change name of a file on a USB without changing File extension

Unable to change name of a file on a USB without changing File extension: Hi, when I connect my USB to my Lenovo laptop and try to change the title of some songs, it changes the file format as well and I can't then play that song after that...help...
  8. Unable to change name of a file on a USB without changing File extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. HOW CAN I READ UDF EXTENSION FILE OR OPEN AND PRINT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HOW CAN I READ UDF EXTENSION FILE OR OPEN AND PRINT: Hello, I need help for UDF extension file to be able to open and print it anywhere. it is a offical document that i need to open. Mostly, I see it is related DVD but mine is only UDF.extension document. thanks for advance...
  10. HOW CAN I READ UDF EXTENSION FILE OR OPEN AND PRINT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW CAN I READ UDF EXTENSION FILE OR OPEN AND PRINT: Hello, I need help for UDF extension file to be able to open and print it anywhere. it is a offical document that i need to open. Mostly, I see it is related DVD but mine is only UDF.extension document. thanks for advance...