Windows 10: File extension

Discus and support File extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 2, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

File extension

How can I add a new file extension windows 10

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  2. Vickyp10 Win User

File extensions

How do I get rid of file extension (.docm) at end of all my file names (Windows 10)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Vickyp10, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    File extensions.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Are you referring to Microsoft Excel when you say spread sheets?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Please reply to the questions in order to assist you in a better way.

Jessen P, Jan 2, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

File extension

Just add it at the end of the filename.

bro67, Jan 2, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    Let me rephrase, how can I add a new file extension to Default Programs under "Associate a file type or protocol with a program."

Don Cole

doncole, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The easy way is to use File Explorer, right-click on a file with the extension you want to add and select 'Open with..'. Choose an appropriate app from the lists, or browse to find the right application. Tick the 'always open with...' box and click OK.

The harder way is to edit the registry. This tutorial has .reg files to reset each of the standard associations. Have a look at one as a guide.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If this new file association is something you wish to set up on multiple machines or for multiple users, then this is how to export and import your custom default associations.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

Bree, Jan 2, 2017
  7. doncole Win User
    Thank you Bree,

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File extension

1. File extension - Similar Threads - File extension

2. Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.: Windows 11 Home Single Language, Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. The search function ignores all files with .clip extension used by the Clip Studio Paint program, if that is relevant. I have: - Made sure that the folders are included in indexing options. - Manually added...
  3. Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.: Windows 11 Home Single Language, Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. The search function ignores all files with .clip extension used by the Clip Studio Paint program, if that is relevant. I have: - Made sure that the folders are included in indexing options. - Manually added...
  4. How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file: When saving a file, I hope to make a file extension not showing in the "File name" box. That's because I often need to change the extension. Since a file extension is shown or selectable in the "Save as type" box, I think it's redundant and unnecessary.I set Explorer to show...
  5. How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file: When saving a file, I hope to make a file extension not showing in the "File name" box. That's because I often need to change the extension. Since a file extension is shown or selectable in the "Save as type" box, I think it's redundant and unnecessary.I set Explorer to show...
  6. How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file

7. PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension: I have the below PowerShell script to add ".dcm" to any files found in subfolders that do not have an extension. However, when it is run, I get an error for all of the files found that says:Rename-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '+'.At...
  8. PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension: I have the below PowerShell script to add ".dcm" to any files found in subfolders that do not have an extension. However, when it is run, I get an error for all of the files found that says:Rename-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '+'.At...
  9. PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension

10. A common file extension .svg is missing from my new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A common file extension .svg is missing from my new laptop: So, I just got a new laptop yesterday, and in the process of installing my apps and testing them out, I found that .svg files, "Scalable Vector Graphics", aren't being recognized properly.I can open them, but not directly. I can't double-click a file to open it, or any other...