Windows 10: file history not backing selected folder

Discus and support file history not backing selected folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 3bob, Mar 21, 2019.

1. 3bob Win User

file history not backing selected folder

Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a problem?

Thanks

:)

2. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things.

First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries on the old 1TB HDD (now E:/)... or so I thought. Don't ask me now exactly what I did, but the definition for the new libraries on E:/ is suspect. E:/ (root) is identifed as the Docs library, with another Docs library inside it, oy.

Shows appearance under This PC:

file history not backing selected folder [​IMG]

Shows appearance under the E:/ HDD:

Anyway, in File History, I select the various libraries in E:/, as well as E:/ itself, for backup to the external drive F:/.

But it only seems happy with the oddly defined Docs library, won't find the other selected folders... log error:

With the resultant backup structure in external HDD F: (grabbing some misc folders plus Docs, but not Pictures, Videos, Downloads... :

BTW, all these un-backed folders are accessible through any other means.

I see the config files, don't know what do do with them, inside:
    C:\Users\patma\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Any clues?

patmat2350, Mar 21, 2019
  3. trivejb Win User
    How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility

I was trying the File History backup utility and of course it defaulted to a preset of folders/files as I did not "Remove" any. Actually what I really want to is only backup a single folder that I warehouse selected data in (C\special docs) What I need to do is remove all the default folders but once File History was turned on there does not seem to be a way to go back and edit/delete the default folders. Yes I can "Exclude Folders" but without having a list of what the default ones are this is difficult. Is their a way to reset the File History default list? There does not seem to be any options to do this.
    Thanks

trivejb, Mar 21, 2019
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

OK, I did that, but the Pictures folder is still in the backup on the external drive. First, I deleted the Pictures folder from the list of folders to be backed up, and then did a manual backup, and then did the File History Cleanup and selected "delete all but the latest one." Pictures folder was still there in the back up. I then checked the list of folders to be backed up, and noticed that the Pictures folder was included again - even thought I deleted it prior to the manual backup. I then deleted it again, closed Settings and re-opened Settings and, sure enough, the Pictures folder re-appeared in the list of folders to be backed up. Seems like Windows will not let me delete it from the list, even though it appears to do so. So next, I added the Pictures folder to the Exclude list and did the manual backup/History Clean up routine - same results: still have the folder in my back up. Any other ideas?

Thema:

1. file history not backing selected folder - Similar Threads - file history backing

2. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  3. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  5. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  6. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history: I had to reinstall windows and am currently trying to restore my files from a previous backup. In the reinstall process, it gave my computer a new name. When I have tried to restore my files, I select the drive and only one back up folder is shown. The original back up...
  8. File History Did Not Back Up Intended Folders...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Did Not Back Up Intended Folders...: I enabled File History to back up two folders to my NAS. Both folders are in C:\Files\ and they are the only two folders listed under Back up these folders. I clicked the Back up now button and it backs up C:\Users\[username]\Apple\MobileSync\Backup\ . Any ideas why this...
  9. File History Won’t Select Folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History Won’t Select Folder: Hello folks. I’m having some trouble backing up a drive and thought someone here might be able to help. I have multiple drives installed on my PC and am trying to back them all up to one external drive (there’s plenty of HD space). Two of the three back up fine, but for the...
  10. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...